What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  29 November 2012, 07:55:10
@Forge, maybe if you didn't delete those works when you were bored with them eventually you could make a FBP? (Forge Build Project).
Actually I'd love to take a look at that area to see how you did that spritework without having any visual clipping/flickering bugs.
Fine, have a look, It's made with a lot of tedious sprite and wall placement so don't expect anything amazing.

I recommend 32bit when looking around (unless you really like the unavoidable sprite clipping issues caused by the 8bit renderer - I have no control over that aspect)

The small white arches up on he ceiling will clip when crossing sector lines if you're up next to them (in mapster or jetpacking). I didn't bother with those since they're so high up, and there's a few others here and there as well. I focused mainly on the floor/walking surfaces.

just keep in mind:

Quote from: Paul B date=1353902424
A sprite structure just never resembles a believably strong structure.

so be gentle with the criticism  :P

edit: file removed

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Loke

Quote from: High_Treason on  29 November 2012, 00:42:02Oh, also I missed @Loke; That looks damn impressive, makes me feel a bit like throwing both my maps in the trash and walking away :D.

Thanks, but don't throw away your maps! Heh, I know you're joking but still.

Quote from: High_Treason on  29 November 2012, 00:42:02I don't know how you guys do it.

Lots of patience.
Occasionally it's been very frustrating working on such maps, especially my TROR map, that I've almost wanted to quit and throw the goddamn computer out the window but giving up are for losers.  ;D

Sanek

Forge, it looks really cool!
It's very good that you, like all old-time mappers (well, pre-2011/12) don't involved in that TROR-craze.

Micky C

Yeah that area is facinating. How did you do the spite stairs? Mapster script or did you use that recently added ability to accurately and easily rotate sprites?
Wall whore.

Forge

I made the initial set of stairs manually one sprite manipulated at a time. After that I secluded the set into a sector, highlighted the sector (R-ALT), copied, and flipped them around until they were lined up with the other platforms.

-on a side note, I've never used script for anything, I do it all by hand (probably why it takes me so long to make a level, but for me that's part of the enjoyment of mapping)-

Quote from: Sanek on  29 November 2012, 21:31:29
Forge, it looks really cool!
It's very good that you, like all old-time mappers (well, pre-2011/12) don't involved in that TROR-craze.

Thanks for the compliment, but if I were still dedicated to making quality releases, I'd probably learn TROR. There's just some things that can't be pulled off very well with sprites constructions (like sloped surfaces). I just wish it'd come out when I first started learning mapster.

High Treason

Hmm, I struggle with ceilings as I don't know how light would work with them, the ceiling in my house is consistently the same brightness all along due to the lamp shade... but it's a small room. It is the one thing in the map I'm not keen on either though and I'm working on ways to change it. A small update would be that I did this to the centre of it;

Can't lie though, still getting used to shading, it changes the whole mapping experience when you start trying to do that, you have to start considering wether doors will be there, or sprites or all kinds of things. It's getting easier as time goes on though, deffinitely think I've just about got the hang of floor and wall shading to an acceptable level.

On the TROR thing; My use for it is rather old-fashioned and would likely be familiar to anybody that had mapped in Blood before (I keep meaning to pick Mapedit up again, I spent years in that editor and have about 50 incomplete levels scattered about my HDDs) - namely, a big square sector in the centre of the area, difference is, I found the system in Blood (Upper Stack, Lower Stack) more intuitive than the one in EDuke32 and knew some neat exploits for it (I could make fully 3D Bridges with minimal renderbugs for example, or display multiple stacked sectors at once, something many struggled to do) - I actually miss that thing, I liked the Tx/Rx and Data0-3 system (Like Tags in Duke) and used to make some very complex torture machines with it... I have a map somewhere which uses a series of conveyer belts, napalm launchers and sectors I called "bellows" (for timing) that allowed you to spawn dudes, blast them, burn them, crush them, explode them and then dump them in a sewer... I also made a somewhat functional ice arena, complete with disco lights. Hell, I could talk fondly about Mapedit and QSystem all day, where's that off-topic thread.

And my apologies to @Sanek; I knew I'd forgotten to comment on someone's work, looks decent enough and although the architechture isn't over complicated, it works for me, I like it.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

I hope you consider this non offensive and a chance to find an alternative. but that "roofwork" is awful. I prefer the previous one. The ceiling and sky have no ledge and everything is boringly gray. Try something with that red you´re using in the lower story and some brown (like the electric subway floor).

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  30 November 2012, 00:45:48
..How did you do the spite stairs? Mapster script or did you use that recently added ability to accurately and easily rotate sprites?

Illuminate my mind  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Wall whore.

Puritan

What's the recent sprite rotating trick?
I don't have time to read all the post on all forums  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Okay, now I'm curious about these scripts and commands Micky's alluding to.

as far as that thing I'm working on; when I feel I'm "finished" with that area, maybe I'll go back and trim the fat to get back some resources. I might see what I can do to add on to it. Since I'm a bit wasteful with my construction techniques, I don't predict that I'll be able to make a full sized map out of it though. Depending on the outcome maybe I'll pass it on to somebody who can properly convert it to a DM map if it's feasible.

there. now I'm officially unofficially working on something that may or may not get finished. ...I feel like quakis. So, so dirty. There's not enough hot water to wash away the sensation....

Micky C

Quote from: Forge on  30 November 2012, 21:27:31
...I feel like quakis. So, so dirty.

;D

Quote from: Puritan on  30 November 2012, 11:26:31
What's the recent sprite rotating trick?
I don't have time to read all the post on all forums  ;)

Helixhorned put in a new useful tool in mapster, it works on both sprites and sectors (or more accurately, wall points, which is the same thing). Just select what you want with right shift, then hold down left shift. If you move the mouse over the objects and hold down the left mouse button, you can resize/scale the objects in both the x and y direction separately in real time! Likewise if you hold down the right mouse button, you can rotate the objects in real time.

It's very handy.
Wall whore.

High Treason

Quote from: Gambini on  30 November 2012, 03:19:49
I hope you consider this non offensive and a chance to find an alternative. but that "roofwork" is awful. I prefer the previous one. The ceiling and sky have no ledge and everything is boringly gray. Try something with that red you´re using in the lower story and some brown (like the electric subway floor).

No offence taken, I'm still working on it, raising it so there is an edge currently causes renderbugs to happen realting to a nearby elevator. I'll take your suggestions on board and keep experimenting with it, may end up removing that addition all together though.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

quakis

Quote from: Forge on  30 November 2012, 21:27:31...I feel like quakis. So, so dirty.

Hey now, there's only room for one abandon master. 8)

Honestly speaking, as much as I'd love to release more stuff, I do struggle with piecing together a good map structure and layout with Duke. The basic foundation of a map... I prefer working on the visuals and overall design more, Done & Dusted was a ton of fun to work on as a result. All I do in Mapster these days is doodle ideas with little intention for it to become an actual project.

Micky C

Wall whore.