What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

quakis

Forge

Quote from: quakis on  01 December 2012, 00:50:11
Honestly speaking, as much as I'd love to release more stuff, I do struggle with piecing together a good map structure and layout with Duke. The basic foundation of a map... I prefer working on the visuals and overall design more, Done & Dusted was a ton of fun to work on as a result. All I do in Mapster these days is doodle ideas with little intention for it to become an actual project.

Same here.

The only reason I feel the need to make the attempt is this is the first time in quite awhile that I've actually been inspired by some "doodle" I've made and came up with a haphazard layout and ideas for some of the surrounding areas.
One of three things will happen; I'll run out of resources and drop it, I'll get bored with it and drop it, or it might see the light of day like my last map (I got bored with it, started running out of resources and couldn't do what I wanted so I gave it up, but there was enough there to release in a playable state).
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

Pff, it seems I have lot of catching up to do.  :P

Sanek: those canyons look pretty good, I suggest adding some human structures (little houses, wooden bridges etc) to add some variety.
Loke: looks very impressive, although it also seems cramped.
HT: agree with Gambini about the ceiling, but remember this: it doesn't have to be a complicated structure, some well chosen textures and trimming can be enough.
Forge: that looks like a *lot* of work, kudos for creating such ambitious spriteworks! It looks very good.

In other news: I'm still helping out Sanek with his city map, here's another shot:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Puritan

^I can tell that Merlijn is involved  ;)
The shading is top notch.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Thanks! Keep in mind though, it's still mostly Saneks map. I've added some areas (like the one in the screenshot), but most of the map is his. :)

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  02 December 2012, 23:48:25
Forge: that looks like a *lot* of work, kudos for creating such ambitious spriteworks! It looks very good.

In other news: I'm still helping out Sanek with his city map, here's another shot:

Thanks. It is alot of tedious placement and alignment. I'm re-constructing the balustrade along the ceiling (an a couple other things) to reclaim some walls, but it'll cost me more sprites for the restructuring. (gained about 600 walls for my effort). Not a big deal about the sprites since I have only one more sprite-heavy area/structure in mind atm.
Maybe when I'm "finished" with that room I'll run a copy by you for an opinion on improvements/ambiance if you're not too busy and it's okay with you. Once I've "sealed" that area off and start working on neighboring sections it'll be incredibly difficult to pull the map apart at that location to do any additional sector work.

The screen shot you posted is nice and gloomy. Kind of dirty-industrial, but doesn't show much else.

Merlijn

I wouldn't mind testing your map, just send it whenever you feel like it. :)
As for the screenshot; it's just one underground area that doesn't respresent the general theme of the map. As earlier screenshots indicated, most of it is set in a sunny city. I was kinda inspired by the brainwash facility map to add a gloomy looking place in the middle of the city and I quite like the results.

David B.

Hi, as I had said previously in this topic, here are some screenshots of a current work about a industrial & spooky city theme, the story taking place in the 80's.
I'm particulary satisfied of the results, but I've still a lot of work to do and I suppose I won't release this before months...

There also are some others places which the building in mapster is completed but I won't spoil to much about that.
So, here is an old warehouse...

[attachment deleted by admin]
David B.

Forge

nice industrial look. good trimwork.

Micky C

Why are you using the old HRP pistol?
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

@ Micky: It looks better imho.

Nice shots David.

Merlijn

Shots look very good, you nailed the feel of an abandoned warehouse. :)

David B.

@Micky : I don't know, that's the gun I've got and I never pay attention to this. Maybe there is a mess with some files.

Thanks for comments.
David B.

High Treason

I managed to spend a few hours at the workstation today;

That's a secret area in one of the buildings, it's not very secret and isn't hard to get to.

I've built a lot more than that today, but I don't want to spoil things too much. Wether people like this when it gets released or not I do think I've raised my personal bar so far in certain areas. I have one large building and a complex outdoor structure left, then comes fixing doors, enemies, items and some scripted events. I am not predicting a release in any timeframe right now but I've missed playing with the editor, I've done nothing but write a book for the past week or so. Hopefully I can get back on the workstation again later tonight (this morning, it's 1AM and I'll be up 'til at least 6) or when I've had a sleep.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

It looks nice. It's "busy", which means that although it's not the most detailed thing in the world, the room appears full and naturally spaced.
Wall whore.