What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

I just meant that while the TROR is there you might as well use it for other stuff. However you can still use sprties for lights, and in fact you're right sprites are probably better anyway because you wouldn't have to worry about adjusting the ceiling slope over the light sectors.

And the only reason why you might have seen monsters glitch with TROR like that is if TROR scissoring is involved, or if the TROR layer is extremely thin (I'd say less than the height of the player). However in that Warehouse you can clearly see that there's plenty of room to have a TROR layer seperating the ceiling and floor and not have any glitches. It would work in classic too.
Wall whore.

David B.

No, I'm not using TROR. I'm building the floor and sloped ceiling while depending from each other.
TROR would use even more resources. So, lights, walkbridges, ... are made of spriteworks which I use a lot.

So the maps could work at a satisfying level in classic mode, but the results will be great once you choose the high resolution textures. I'll give a warning for this in a txt file. I'm mapping in 16/32 bits only, so the results are always the closest from my original design & ideas with the new modes.

IMO the line between classic project and high res texture is blurred, especially when you can play both.

Thanks for comments.
David B.

quakis

I really must admit, David B, you sure know how to use the HRP resources well and make something look really nice with them. Same case with your previous Highland release. :D

David B.

many thanks.  ;)

But I won't repeat the errors of my previous maps, this time I promised myself it will be far better, especially with the difficulty and the gameplay.
I'm able to learn from that.
David B.

Forge

trying to put a thumbtack in the separation between "what is what", and pin everything down isn't cut and dry

HRP's mostly independent of video modes other than requiring opengl (16 & 32 bit). I look at HRP as "optional" user art. There are some maps specifically made for HRP or recommend using it, but one can just as easily play the map without it (in polymost/polymer - and in several cases 8-bit), and the map still works and looks just fine.

I can understand from a certain point of view for separating polymer (it has pretty lights and tror that wasn't original to the game) from polymost/8-bit, but if the quantifier for the division is the opengl driver and the ability to do things not original to the game, then ordinary vanilla polymost maps (extended sprite manipulation, models, etc.) needs to fall in with polymer as "modifications", and the only thing that qualifies as "classic" are straight 8-bit maps.

On the other side of the coin I can understand keeping HRP separated from vanilla maps. Like mods, they require files external to duke3d/eduke32. But then you can turn that around and say polymer doesn't require external files.

I think too many hairs are being split, obvious mods should be with obvious mods, and user maps should be with user maps. it's my opinion but not the one that matters. The boss wants it a certain way and it's his perspective and his site.

edit: if you want to continue discussing this, then quote me and take over to the site feedback thread

edit2: to avoid double posting - as far as my current map goes, I think i'll toss it on the backburner for now. I managed to knock the wall count down to 5527, which is tolerable. When i built the original room it was for fun and i didn't care about resource management. This is the second time i've had to go back and basically rebuild that section of the map (the 1st time because of too many sprites visible at one time). Now I'm burnt out with it, and need to put it away for awhile.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Quote from: Forge on  25 January 2013, 13:53:49
edit2: to avoid double posting - as far as my current map goes, I think i'll toss it on the backburner for now. I managed to knock the wall count down to 5527, which is tolerable. When i built the original room it was for fun and i didn't care about resource management. This is the second time i've had to go back and basically rebuild that section of the map (the 1st time because of too many sprites visible at one time). Now I'm burnt out with it, and need to put it away for awhile.

Ah, there's one of the reasons the super-detailed mapping phase died out a year or two ago.
Wall whore.

Forge

decided to finish this room so i could tuck it back under the room above it

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gambini

High Treason

[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

well since i can't seem to keep myself in budget with the resources, this has turned into a way to pass time instead of a potential playable map.

base sector work w/no detailing or trimming

boredom and lack of motivation can cause one to use peculiar textures

Puritan

Maybe some other texture in between to break up the monotonous feel?
Just my two cents  :) 
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

right. it has no trimwork done or any additional lighting/shading sector work

if i was to stay within the set limits of what is allowed per area in order to come close to what i want to do with the entire map - this is where i'd have to stop with this location. maybe allocate some more sprite work, but no more walls.

i'm falling asleep making it because it's so dull. i can imagine how a player would feel.

quakis

I think it looks good enough as is without overdoing things and keeping in budget; solid shape and structure. Perhaps tweaking the shadows to have a much darker contrast might help to 'fill' up the area, but otherwise it looks fine to me.

Quotewell since i can't seem to keep myself in budget with the resources, this has turned into a way to pass time instead of a potential playable map.

Feel the same many times with the map I'm currently working on, I use up so many walls with the style I'm working with and attention to detail, I doubt I can add every location I have planned. ;D Which would be such a shame really.

Forge

don't know why, but i like the open sky look better (and it saved about 65 walls - still over-budget though)

maybe cause so far the rest of the map is indoors and kinda gloomy

Helixirr

Open sky is way better, but the color... ugh! :o I think you should change it. :)
Current project(s):
CBP9
Tim Firch - The Plans Of Dr. Deta