What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanek

Started work on another new map.
Just as bland as it is.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Forge

it's a good base, but it needs some more sprite work decorations (hydrants, street signs, wall graffiti, etc), and some sidewalks with alternate texturing or something to break up that solid floor. maybe some more trim work along the walls. everything looks flat and at 90 degree angles - very boxy
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Loke

Sequel to Lorch? Very nice though expected. ;)

Helixirr

Quote from: Forge on  14 March 2013, 13:22:20
it's a good base, but it needs some more sprite work decorations (hydrants, street signs, wall graffiti, etc), and some sidewalks with alternate texturing or something to break up that solid floor. maybe some more trim work along the walls. everything looks flat and at 90 degree angles - very boxy

Trimwork required indeed. :D Agree with Forge, basis is good, but trimwork would make the level look more detailed and "sharp", if you know what I mean.
Current project(s):
CBP9
Tim Firch - The Plans Of Dr. Deta

Loke

Some more shots of the The Thing map. Taking sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.

Side view of the entire map (except for a small room in the top left corner).

Overhead view of the outpost, zoomed out so the clusterfuck of sprites doesn't show up.

The bathroom/laundry room. Never actually seen in the movie (except the corridor to the left which is the sleeping quarters corridor, seen at least two times IIRC) so I had to use my own imagination of how it would look.

The outpost is pretty much finished it just needs a lot of polish. The outside is basically what's left in terms of adding new sectors and sprites. Then I'll see where I'll go. Of course it all depends on if I have the resources to pull it all off since the wall limit is starting to scare me.

Puritan

Wow, looks great, Loke!
Seems you'll be outta sprites as well :o
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Sanek

Quote from: Loke on  24 March 2013, 21:35:34
Some more shots of the The Thing map.
It looks great! Can't wait to play in it!

Quote from: Forge on  14 March 2013, 13:22:20

Well, how about that.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Micky C

That looks better, but could still use some extra sprites on the road to make it look less bland. What about some tire marks?
Wall whore.

ck3D

Loke's screenshots look really good. Looking forward to playing that one.

Sanek's screenshot looks pretty cool too, reminds me of the early Roch maps, notably Roch 2 (maybe because of the sign though), which is not a bad thing seeing as I loved the first Roch maps almost even more than the latest ones of the series

anyway I am back in my hometown for a couple of days, maybe weeks, which means I might find some time to work some more on my new map I started three months ago. I am stupidly busy with work besides that but I should find enough spare moments to make it happen, hopefully

Forge

appears loke builds like i do. damn the torpedoes and to hell with resources. as long as it looks like you want it to
-the difference is i fail proper planning and run out leaving areas unfinished

Looks much better Sanek.

just a couple minor suggestions. Maybe a little protruding trimwork around the doorway on the wall to the right and re-texture or do something with the floor around the jeep to create separation between the ramps and the street

Loke

Forge, are you my long lost twin brother? I fail at planning as well.  ;D

Thanks all for the comments.

Quote from: PuritanSeems you'll be outta sprites as well :o

I think I'll be fine there actually as I doubt I'll add any significant amount of sprites in the outdoor areas (essentially the outpost consists of roughly 95% of the sprites. Lulz.).

David B.

The theme is a great idea, Loke. It looks perfect and I'm looking forward to play it.

I suggest you join a music file with your map (the theme of the movie, at the beginning... with the chase). This would be very nice.
David B.

Loke

Yeah, I'm planning on using a few different types of tracks from the movie at specific locations throughout the map, as an example; when the player discovers Outpost 31 cue a creepy tune, see something disturbing inside the base cue another creepy tune. I don't know if I'll have any actual accompanying music file (silence is as creepy!) but I haven't gotten that far yet so nothing is final.

ck3D

worked some more on my map I started three months ago, yesterday night and today. It is slowly coming together quite naturally, I might be able to finish it before I leave again. It is the first time I take the time to make a winter / snow themed map, so it is pretty funny to experiment with palette values and it almost feels weird not having to put too much thought into a lot of outdoor textures (because of the white). Funnily enough, it originally started as a christmas / new years eve-themed map, but given that I only have a couple of opportunities to map per year I wouldn't be surprised if that only got released during summer break !

Forge

screenshots or it didn't happen