What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

ck3D

maybe soon when the map is in a later state of development. i am fairly satisfied with what i have built so far, but it is just one area (that already takes up quite a large section of the basic mapster grid) and the surroundings are still very empty, a screenshot would not be representative of it all. i also don't really like posting screenshots in general, i think it is better when the map gets unveiled all at once during its release, then again i don't know. maybe it's still good to hype it up beforehand ?

Forge

screenshots don't mean as much as they used to. mostly due to the duke4 popularity contest.
if i'm actually working on something and i want a little general feedback, i'll throw a screenshot up here and see if anyone comments.
if i'm fucking around, it's a joke, or has no serious intentions then i'll post at duke4

since you're not into that game a screenshot from you around july would be nice.
you're always busy with work so who knows when you'll ever get around to finishing it.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

It's true. Only yesterday I posted up an "Angry Duke" mockup of angry birds. Instead of pigs that stole your eggs, it's pigcops that stole your babes  :o

Wall whore.

ck3D

on a side note, i just hit the 500+ sector mark on that map I am working on. I am tired as fuck right now and still unsure whether or not I will have the time to finish it by the time I have to go back home, but here are two screenshots of it (I am keeping the most 'impressive' locations for myself, also please note that the surrounding areas are yet to be designed, hence the dull, empty, squarish backgrounds), along with two screenshots of yet another map I started back in 2011, and haven't touched in two years, that has been gathering the dust on my hard drives, I really want to finish it one day but it is fairly ambitious and I just can't find the spare time to, I think I can only deal with quick projects these days (I have thought of merging both maps before of course... but I really don't think they would go well together)

[attachment deleted by admin]

ck3D

Quote from: Forge on  28 March 2013, 14:58:20
screenshots don't mean as much as they used to. mostly due to the duke4 popularity contest.
if i'm actually working on something and i want a little general feedback, i'll throw a screenshot up here and see if anyone comments.
if i'm fucking around, it's a joke, or has no serious intentions then i'll post at duke4

since you're not into that game a screenshot from you around july would be nice.
you're always busy with work so who knows when you'll ever get around to finishing it.

gotcha, I wasn't aware that duke4 was such a popularity contest nowadays. I just checked and it is true that generally speaking, I find that there is a bit too much of everything going on at that place. I like it more here, it is a lot quieter and people seem to be more down to earth. I think I have naturally, unconsciously avoided duke4 lately for that reason.

anyway I just posted a couple of screenshots of my new map,  I also added two more screenshots of a map I started two years ago, that I sent you a copy of a while back and haven't touched since, just in case it motivates me to somehow find the time to finish it one of these days. I have maybe one or two weeks left in front of me during which I am going to be able to sneak in some Mapster time here and there. Hopefully that will be enough to get releasable results.

MSandt

That's a very cool and unique look you've got going there for the map. Kinda pale and desolate.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

ck3D

thank you, yeah the theme is a snowy, abandoned industrial area pretty much, deserted brownfields and old factories and warehouses are a very underrated theme in Duke maps, probably because it is much more tempting to make locations feel alive due to the 'futuristic' theme of the game. I have always liked how the calendar sprite in Duke said 2007, which seemed in a long time when the game was released, and now that year is way behind us, so there is no point anymore in trying to guess what yesterday's future would be since we already are behind that mark we once set. Sounds corny and awkward, but I don't know how to explain it in better words... Sorry.

The other map really feels desolate too even though I started it a while back, I don't really know why. So far it is pretty much a full, completely destroyed 5-story building you can explore, with a lot of room over room layers (that does not use true room over room which was not around when I built it). It is inspiring, but built on such a large scale I am having trouble finding inspiration for the surroundings. I will just focus on the snow map for now and see what happens later.

ck3D

oh and I am a hypocrite, I just cross posted the screenshots on duke4 as well, just because more people are likely to see them there and who knows, it may inspire someone, somehow. I am a terrible individual

Forge

it's not hypocritical to cross-post screenshots. especially if you want a larger audience. the only problem is the feedback at duke4 is kinda hit and miss. some people may say something useful, others may just give you a rep point and walk away without a word as if the little green number is enough to say "i like what you're doing there" - the downside being you don't actually know why they "like what you're doing there".

since you cross posted and i visited duke4 first, i'll cross post
pretty neat. even your unfinished work holds a certain aspect of realism and quality detailing

kinda wondered if you were ever going to do anything with that older map - if it's the same one i got when i received the alpha version of met. mayhem. from the screen shots and from what i remember - i don't think the two would make a good merge

they should definitely be two separate maps.
the older map i always thought you should keep going down instead of out when street level is reached. down to the basement - subway tunnels- sewer tunnels - subterranean caves - however deep you wanted to go - go through the core and come out in china or something
most maps work on the majority of a horizontal plane, not many work completely on a vertical plane. that would make the map rather unique. and if done in the old ror/sos style instead of tror, it would even be that more cool

ck3D

that is actually an awesome idea ! I still do want to build a city-like environment at street level, but the difference is that now I have a much, much clearer idea of what I want to design, and how to keep the map going. For the longest time I couldn't think of anything that would fit the vibe the first building already established, I think I didn't want to make the player have to visit boring locations with the main street area making for yet another central hub, basically I didn't want to have to settle for a classic city map after such a 'different' start and bring the mood down, and that lack of coherence between the start and what I had left to build might have been why I was stuck with that level. But your comment actually gave me new perspectives and now I actually have a much clearer idea of what I want to do with this map and how it is going to play ! I won't spoil anything, but you have no idea how helpful your comment was for me. Thank you so much.

Forge

Quote from: ck3D on  05 April 2013, 14:56:53
that is actually an awesome idea !.... but you have no idea how helpful your comment was for me. Thank you so much.
it was already your idea, your concept, and your design to begin with. all i did was remind you, so you're welcome for that little nudge

pbolduc

Just wanted to say the realism and attention to small detail and shading really brings these maps to life. I can't wait to play it when its done. + one rep point =)

David B.

Quote from: ck3D on  05 April 2013, 13:20:06
...deserted brownfields and old factories and warehouses are a very underrated theme in Duke maps, probably because it is much more tempting to make locations feel alive due to the 'futuristic' theme of the game.
It's lucky that my current project - almost done - is exploiting this theme. The story take place in the past and I guess you'll like it. By the way it reminds me a promise about something I was cooking, and that's it. Last point, I like your screenshots too and I'm convinced you should do something with this. Maybe someone could help you to finish it if you're lacking of time.

Quote from: pbolduc on  12 April 2013, 07:10:13
Just wanted to say the realism and attention to small detail and shading really brings these maps to life. I can't wait to play it when its done.
Right, just wait some weeks ahead the time I release my beast (cough cough)...
David B.

Loke

I'm pretty much done now with the map, just adding some final touches and a bit of polishing.

Puritan

Looks detailed and great :)

On a nitpicking note: Isn't the door a bit thick? [/Forgemode]
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise