What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  12 April 2013, 15:14:00
On a nitpicking note: Isn't the door a bit thick? [/Forgemode]
;D i suppose i had that coming

Quote from: Loke on  12 April 2013, 14:59:16
I'm pretty much done now with the map, just adding some final touches and a bit of polishing.

are you still going with an earlier idea and make it a kind of exploration map devoid of enemy?

if you don't have a beta tester in mind, i could assist (if you don't mind nitpicking  ;)), or there are several people here who would probably agree to help
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

That's a really nice use of that wood panel texture. Simple execution, but it's so visually satisfying and effective regardless and ties the room together with that geometry while at the same time, not being too visually noisy so other details stand out. Man I almost feel like jumping in Mapster right now to mess with the textures again... (And get back to work on my project... Must... resist... urge!)

Loke

Thanks guys. Door just became thinner.

Quote from: Forge on  12 April 2013, 16:05:33
are you still going with an earlier idea and make it a kind of exploration map devoid of enemy?

Yeah, it's completely devoid of enemies. I debated wherever to have any or not but the vanilla Duke3D enemies just didn't fit in the end. The slimers could probably fit but they present zero challenge unfortunately.

I don't know if this is a bad idea or not. Some people just want to blow shit up but this isn't really your standard Duke map either. It's more or less a dedication to John Carpenter and the film.

Forge

if it's done right the no enemy concept is not a bad thing

just don't go billyboy on the puzzles
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

No enemies or low-amount-of-enemies...Do what you think it's right!
It's your creation.

I did something like that on " Nostromo"....
Few enemies, more true to the source ( the movie).
But still, I fell for the "old school thinking" and added a few different enemies ( The Cargo bay area).
I regret that after the release though  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

That´s the pinnacle of duke-detailing and clever use of textures. The only gripe I predict is that all those sprites will make navigating a challenge itself, giving another reason of why not to use enemies  :P

Micky C

Quote from: Gambini on  13 April 2013, 03:38:52
That´s the pinnacle of duke-detailing and clever use of textures. The only gripe I predict is that all those sprites will make navigating a challenge itself, giving another reason of why not to use enemies  :P

IIRC a lot of that spritework is non-blocking to avoid that problem.
Wall whore.

methy

Quote from: Loke on  12 April 2013, 16:28:41
Thanks guys. Door just became thinner.

Quote from: Forge on  12 April 2013, 16:05:33

Yeah, it's completely devoid of enemies. I debated wherever to have any or not but the vanilla Duke3D enemies just didn't fit in the end. The slimers could probably fit but they present zero challenge unfortunately.

I don't know if this is a bad idea or not. Some people just want to blow shit up but this isn't really your standard Duke map either. It's more or less a dedication to John Carpenter and the film.

I'm sure you could do something that would fit using slimers, Newbeasts and maybe even Octobrains.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

ck3D

Thanks for the above comments on my screenshots. David B., I am definitely looking forward to your map, I like your mapping style and the theme of your new creation seems on par with the type of feel I like Duke levels to have. I am sure I will enjoy your level !

Quote from: David B. on  12 April 2013, 12:30:34Last point, I like your screenshots too and I'm convinced you should do something with this. Maybe someone could help you to finish it if you're lacking of time.

A normal person would, but I am a control freak over my work in general. I'd rather take more time on a project if it can serve my own vision of how things should be, than work with other people unless it's a CBP or an episode like Metropolitan Mayhem. Still a good idea I might consider if I ever realize this is really going nowhere !

Loke : your project looks really promising, love the shot. With or without enemies I am sure you can pull off something that will make for an immersive experience !

ck3D

snow map is growing faster than i expected it to be, about to hit the 1000 sectors mark tonight, didn't really see it coming that soon

edit - just realized the wall limit had never been quadrupled like i thought i remembered it was, just doubled. i am clocking in at only 1015 sectors right now but i have over 9000 walls. hopefully it does not get in the way. the level scale is huge so far with some of my favorite atmosphere yet, i am pretty proud of it.

ck3D

still heavily WIP as the long blue wall in the background on the left can attest, a bug i have yet to fix is that everytime the player is standing too far away from the spaceships the rockets fired by the cycloids go straight up and the explosion radius gets to them, causing them to die after a while (a long while, but the bug is still there), i still have to experiment a little in order to find a workaround, amongst other things i had a lot of fun building an apartment with swedish style interiors and furniture too which i don't think has ever been done in duke

[attachment deleted by admin]

Puritan

Quote from: ck3D on  08 May 2013, 22:31:05
... amongst other things i had a lot of fun building an apartment with swedish style interiors and furniture too which i don't think has ever been done in duke

Swedish interiors?
Now I'm getting exited  :)
Wonder what Loke would say...
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

i am trying to make a point of not showcasing anything of what i think looks the most promising yet... this screenshot is much outdated already. those blue walls do not exist anymore, i made yet another building and whatnot... working so much on this to kill time this week. the map is already twice as big as 'wide awake'...

about the apartment, do not expect much, let's just say i had some fun trying to make some modernish furniture in mapster and got some fun results, but nothing revolutionary in the slightest. i think the location does look good though and fits its surroundings pretty well. you will get to see it when the entire map is done,  :)

Puritan

I'm absolutely confident about a ck3D map will watering my mouth for sure  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

i hope you will like it, i am not sure i am going to be able to make it as grand as i would have liked it to be since the limits seem to be about to get in the way once again (weird seeing as i might have only spent three weeks working on this map in total ? hitting the 10000+ walls mark usually happens to me on more ambitious projects)

i am back home now so i am only going to be able to touch the map again in ten days or so, just for a couple of days to, maybe even hours. after that i will leave again on vacation and i am not sure when i am going to get to touch the level again. feels kind of stupid to only be able to work on a map on and off like that, but then again it builds anticipation and i always get new ideas in the meantime.