What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

I like that screenshot, MRCK (especially the building on the left), the blue and white work together nicely. :)

As for me, I've revived an ancient map which has been collecting dust for years: the remake of red1.
Below are 2 screenshots (1 new, 1 old).

Progress is going very steady; I'm over 11000 walls already. I hope to finish it this spring/summer. Please note that it has very little to do with the old redduke: it's loosely based on it but in terms of style, atmosphere and gameplay it's much more similar to red3, 4 and 5. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Puritan

How cool is that!
Can't wait, Merlijn  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  19 May 2013, 21:45:04
As for me, I've revived an ancient map which has been collecting dust for years: the remake of red1.
i like where this is going.
when this is done maybe take your red maps, get with a con guru & a sprite guru - add new enemies to fit the theme, tweak the game play aspects a little, and release it as an episode.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Mister Sinister

Why not post it here? Started working on my map again. If you played my "Preparing For Xmas" you know what to expect.  :-\

Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Merlijn

Looks good Mister Sinister. I especially like the first screenshot, it has a nice classic feel to it.
when this is done maybe take your red maps, get with a con guru & a sprite guru - add new enemies to fit the theme, tweak the game play aspects a little, and release it as an episode.

I'm not too sure about that, but who knows. If there are talented people who are willing to invest time into that (coughGambini?cough) it might be worth it. First things first though. ;)

Also, there's a polished, improved version of red2 as well (Maarten worked on it), it might be finished and released in the near future. We'll see after red1 is done. :)

Gambini

It´d be a honor to work with you, adding enemies or something, Mertin. But I think your maps work perfect with vanilla duke. You have the talent to make them look fresh using the same 17 years old tiles of Duke.

David B.

Making an episode with former maps / nice remakes - which already belong to a logic serie - is a great idea : a personalised "Red" episode will obviously be noticed, it brings much interest, more satisfaction. Episodes are very rarely released.

I also thought about doing a remake, take an ancient release of mine and use it as a start for a new map, barely recognizable compared to the original and offering by this way a new version free from all the downsides the original map was suffering.
David B.

Merlijn

That's true, and the red maps already flow as one cohesive piece (each map starts where the last one ended) so it could easily be an episode.

However, I feel the ending of red5 might be a bit too sudden for an entire episode. If I'm going to do this, I might have to add a boss map. And the boss map has to make sense in the context of the episode..

In fact, I did have some plans for this, but that would require a red6 before the player gets to the boss map.

QuoteIt´d be a honor to work with you, adding enemies or something, Mertin. But I think your maps work perfect with vanilla duke. You have the talent to make them look fresh using the same 17 years old tiles of Duke.

I love how you keep finding new ways to misspell my name.  ;)
Anyway, I agree that the maps wouldn't need new textures, they're fine the way they are. Some new enemies would be good though, particulary scarier enemies (because let's be honest, the protector drones don't really scare anyone anymore. :P)

Micky C

Quote from: Merlijn on  24 May 2013, 13:44:08
That would require a red6 before the player gets to the boss map.

I don't see a problem here  ;)
Wall whore.

Merlijn

It always takes me a lot of time to finish such a map, I'm not nearly as fast as Gambini. ;)

Gambini

Keep flirting with me and we will end up in a room working on a map together.

ck3D

1400 sectors and 11000 walls, even though the vehicles eat up a lot of them, i am starting to feel more and more claustrophobic about the limits. i think i might build the last few locations and call it a map. hopefully i can find the time to do that in the next couple of days before i have to leave again (provided that i don't hit a mapper's block). otherwise this is going to be delayed for a little while i am afraid. the map is turning out to be less aesthetically ambitious than i originally intended it to be, probably due to its large size and snow theme which makes it more bland and spread apart. i still think it looks pretty unique, though. 2d screenshot of what has been made so far. i know it definitely needs more sector shading. this is only the playable area by the way, no unreachable areas have been implemented yet.

Merlijn

Wow, I see you used a lot of spritework! Looks interesting, can't wait to play it. :)

Keep flirting with me and we will end up in a room working on a map together.

You know you want it.  ;)

ck3D

most of the spritework you see in that screenshot is not that ambitious. the way mapster32 makes it a lot easier to implement than how it used to be with the original build (when we had to do everything by hand, constantly switch back between 2D and 3D mode to see if our approximately placed sprites matched, raise each sprite one unit at a time only to have to do it all over again if you fucked up and accidently lowered a ceiling, etc.) is making it fun to make for me again, after a while of being put off by 3D sprite constructions due to old frustrations persisting, i am back to enjoying it. but everything i have done in this map is fairly basic. originally, i was 'trying' to get back to my older, more detailed style, thinking it would be fun to work on a beautifully crafted map again ; but the restriction of having the bland snow texture everywhere on the ground persists to convey the impression of a fairly simplistic look, it is not like i can pick and mix complex floor textures together anymore. so the results are a mix between my more detailed levels for the indoor locations, and my most simple levels for the outside aesthetics. i think i found a good balance though and i hope the results will be satisfying.

i have added yet a lot more to the map ever since i posted that screenshot earlier. basically, all i need is to finish one complex indoor location, then build the surroundings and add the gameplay. after which it should be ready for release, but it is probably going to take a little while seeing as i only get to add to this map very sporadicly.

Forge

Quote from: ck3D on  28 May 2013, 04:22:57
....but everything i have done in this map is fairly basic. originally, i was 'trying' to get back to my older, more detailedBLAH BLAH BLAH style, thinking it would be fun to work on a beautifully crafted map again ; but the restriction of having the bland BLAH BLAH BLAHsnow texture everywhere on the ground persists to convey the impression of a fairly simplistic look, it is not like BLAH BLAH BLAHi can pick and mix complex floor textures together anymore. so the results are a mix between my more BLAH BLAH BLAHdetailed levels for the indoor locations, and my most simple levels for the outside aesthetics. i think i found a good balance though and i hope the results will be satisfying.
you can "misdirect", "deceive" and make things sound "ordinary" to the rest of the public (or you're as modest as you claim me to be), but this map is fucking beautiful - and when some background scenery gets added it going to be that much more spectacular looking.

don't let ck3d bullshit you  ;)

Quote from: Merlijn on  27 May 2013, 23:46:02
Wow, I see you used a lot of spritework! Looks interesting, can't wait to play it. :)
spritework?

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass