What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Thanks guys, had some more progress so we're slowly getting there!

QuoteToo bad The Rock lost lot of customers with the opening of Molvania HospitalĀ“s cafeteria

Haha, well your cafeteria has the advantage of not being blown up by the EDF and Duke (which happens in Clear the coast).  ;)

QuoteThe remake is coming along nicely and I'm liking your current style here, it appears tidier.

Thanks! My current style is a mixture of everything I've done since red3: it's tidier and more polished, but I also couldn't resist experimenting with texture combo's, pallete values and spritework again.

High Treason

Finally raked out a mouse that works, not much to show yet really, just that I can work on my map again.

Things like lamp posts and such are absent as yet, I seem to work better if I complete the basic layout for a large area first and then work on it in sections later erasing what I don't need as opposed to doing it piece by piece, using all my ideas in one place and then struggling to fill in the gaps, I don't think it's any secret that my last map had two rooms from my reject pile holding it together. I can't help wondering if I've set this map too dark though. although that can be put right quickly if it is.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

High Treason

Don't like double posting - feel free to ban me I'm past caring - but I'm bored.

I have finished one of what I plan to be five roads (first shot is end of road) - this area was the blackness in the last shot and was empty at that time. Also, there's a strip club (second shot, fith road) - mostly these show that I'm trying to make buildings more interesting than the single texture flat-fronted things they have been in my previous maps.

I have started work on a couple of interiors now, namely a shop, police station and the strip club. I am starting to hope I am not being too ambitious. You may notice the railings are different... I was hitting the draw limit for sprites and am still dangerously close. May have to have buildings as seperate areas with silent teleports. On the plus side, I never used to come near any limits, so if I am now having to downscale ideass instead of upscaling them to try and fill the map I might be doing something right.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

underTaker

Looking on the screens of yours, High, i can say i really love the atmosphere there. It will be my kind of map.

MSandt

I assume street lights are on the way?
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Merlijn

Looks nice and moody, I agree that some street lights would be good. You can play around a bit with lights and shadows to make the place more dynamic.

quakis

Indeed, do place some high contrast lighting in places and perhaps some nice shadows as a result of those, otherwise things might get a little monotonous. It should make the dark night ambience moodier seeing those from a distance. Perhaps even vis 240 the brightest spots.

Micky C

Not to mention the tops of those buildings could use some trimming.
Wall whore.

Forge

the first shot looks alright - maybe three benches side by side is too much crowding

the second shot - the wall texture with the sloped roof doesn't look right without capping it off without some trimming

if the map is going to be so dark - using neon signs, but no street lamps is a contradiction - is there a blackout or not?
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

Just wanted to let you guys know: red1 is ready to be betatested! Which pretty much means it's finished and fully playable from start to finish. 

I'm going to e-mail it to a some people anyway, but.. any volunteers? ;)

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  13 October 2013, 22:07:20
Just wanted to let you guys know: red1 is ready to be betatested! Which pretty much means it's finished and fully playable from start to finish. 

I'm going to e-mail it to a some people anyway, but.. any volunteers? ;)
sure. who knows, maybe it'll be the spark to get me back into the swing of things.

Merlijn

Alright, you're officially a beta-tester now, along with a few other people. ;)

Check your email!

Puritan

Think I have to fire up the old version of Red 1 now in order to get a grip of the remaked map  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

It will be fun comparing the 2. The remake is more like a brand new map, loosely based on the old version. It became a completely different beast. But you'll still find some similarities. :)

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  14 October 2013, 23:14:25
It will be fun comparing the 2. The remake is more like a brand new map, loosely based on the old version. It became a completely different beast. But you'll still find some similarities. :)

pretty much this^

it's a nice exploration piece, but it's not really "required" to finish the map. you can bee-line from point A to B to C if you want. My personal style is to take my time and look around, and this map suits that just fine, but if you hate "wasting time" running around looking for stuff, you don't really have to.

action was kinda like riding the wave machine at a water park - which again suits multiple styles of preference.

it's well rounded and from what i seen, pretty much ready to be released unless someone else catches something i missed