News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

reflex17

Indeed I remember you and Kaiser and I talking about working on something a long time ago... I wouldn't be opposed to working on something if you still want to :) (I think I still have the pm's on AMC) It's been so long though, you say you had work done on it? Very interesting :0

Now that I've got everything back for Map 2 of MarsBase it's made me want to work at mapping 10x harder... I have so many ideas for the episode in my head and it drives me nuts that it's taken this long to get only 1/2 way thru the 2nd level. I also saw the one map/one floor cbp and I'll probably join up once I read more about the project, I've never done anything with the community and that looks like a good place to start :D

High Treason

Well, here's one, onto adding primary gameplay now, I've fixed the item hunt and installed another puzzle that nobody has really done before - though it makes use of BobSP-style collectible items.

In the screenshot you can see a large area of the level as well as a block of clocks and controllers (namely the areas in the lower right) - note how the building interiors are positioned away from the actual building, also note the building just right of top-center, I am unsure how that building will go down with people as I haven't seen one done in it's style in Duke before, you'll have to wait and see though I forewarn any potential players, you really should follow the viewscreens in this map, it won't end well if you do not heed their warnings and instructions.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

Now that termit made the 1.2.2 patch available, my maps no longer seem to crash.
i'm not trying to make major changes to the levels, but i at least want to make them "playable" were they don't crash the game, or something doesn't work/something buggy kills the player, shit's too dark because of all the iterations of eduke32 changed the lighting system, etc.

i've got 3:16 done.
one down 3 to go.

when i get them all to where they work with megaton, then i'll probably get around to uploading them.
no big hurry on my part, there's plenty of quality maps on that site and my garbage is just more crap people have to sift through, but since i acquired a key for someone who didn't use it, i feel a bit obliged to shove some uploads on there to "uphold" my end of the bargain for a free key that termit generously provided
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

While you're at it you might want to 'fix' your duke burger puzzle in 12:12 :P

(Yes, I'm still going on about this)

It's about the button you have to shoot through the hole in the kitchen wall. Imo you should make it so that the door it unlocks doesn't autoclose, that's just unnecessary bullshit. That's like, really trying your hardest to make people stuck for no reason and not to play the rest of the map. Not only it's not too obvious to even see the button, but it's even harder to figure out what it does (even if the door didn't autoclose). What happens with the autoclose is that, you press the button, go around trying to figure out what it does... keep searching, searching, searching forever, because the door it opened already close by itself without the player noticing. Really, it's like trying your best to stop the player's progress, which is shame because the map is good besides that.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

in 12:12 i'll brighten up the button so it's very easy to see, and get rid of the auto close

i've semi-started on 23:4, mostly brightening up the interior of the first building. i'll probably place some nightvision in the first office as well. when i made it, it was fine, but eduke has changed and now it's pitch black inside.

appreciate the input

(maybe you wouldn't mind looking at them before i upload them?)

methy

http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Puritan

I've been struggling against an infectious decease and lost again...
The decease is called Build  ;D
Nothing to reveal really. Just a snap from an early stage of a map.
The huge building in the background is gonna give Duke some action i hope.

To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Micky C

It certainly has a nice feel and a unique look about it, I look forward to seeing more  :)
Wall whore.

Gambini

Forge

Quote from: methy on  15 February 2014, 10:46:20
Okay
try this one with megaton
fixed a couple things that killed the player, crashed the map
it still has some pretty dark spots, but i lightened up a few walls so it's a little easier to navigate. just bump the ambient light level slider if it's still too hard to see

-file removed-

methy

Yeah it works fine on Megaton. I had to make ambiant brightness slightly brighter half way through the map but only because the sun shines on my screen, in 'normal play conditions' I wouldn't have needed to do that, so it's fine.

Just one thing I noticed that's 'major' : after the factory you have jump down the manhole, the first time I tried it killed me. Thank god I had saved just before so that was no big deal but I don't know what happened. Try to check if the teleporting SE are both at exactly the same place, and perhaps you should make the manhole bigger to minimize the chances of getting randomly squished.
Also about that, I thought the puzzle to blow up the manhole was pretty clever, but, it's all ruined by the spawning pipebombs. I understand why you put them there (in case the players blew up every explosive beforehand), but imo done this way it ruins the clever puzzle completely. I think you should put the pipebomb in a secret place, or hide them. Perhaps put them inside that box inside the factory, the one the player can kick in order to retrieve chaingun ammo (if you do that though, the player can go blow up the manhole BEFORE using the redkey but I don't think anyone will think of that). Plus, you put a warning not to shoot the explosive barrels anyway. Or, alternatively, hide the pipebombs in the rooms where you activate all the buttons of the factory next to the viewscreens.
I don't know, just a thought, it's your map.

Merlijn

Looks very good Puritan. I like the atmosphere.

Forge

Quote from: methy on  16 February 2014, 12:55:49
Just one thing I noticed that's 'major' : after the factory you have jump down the manhole, the first time I tried it killed me. Thank god I had saved just before so that was no big deal but I don't know what happened. Try to check if the teleporting SE are both at exactly the same place, and perhaps you should make the manhole bigger to minimize the chances of getting randomly squished.
Also about that, I thought the puzzle to blow up the manhole was pretty clever, but, it's all ruined by the spawning pipebombs.
i though i fixed that problem with the manhole. i tried it a dozen times and didn't die. the SEs are the same height and centered. i think it may have to do with the sector work at the bottom; the ooze puddle child sector.
i'll widen the upper hole and the ooze puddle at the bottom and see if that helps.

i had so many people complain about that barrel puzzle the first time around that i just said fuck it and added the pipe bombs . It's kinda dark in that room and the button that spawns the pipe bombs is on the opposite end of the room from the last conveyor switch. I really can't place them anywhere outside the red locked room or that completely defeats having that section and the puzzle there in the first place.

methy

Maybe you could have the pipebombs spawn ON the convoyer belt when it activates.

Forge

yea, i was thinking that, but i really don't see that it would make a huge difference.
i'd have to spawn them near the end of the conveyor line or people would bitch about having to wait too long for them to show up if they didn't notice them appearing.
They'd be standing out in the street wondering, wtf? where do i go and what do i do now?

it's my first map and it's a crappy puzzle because the player has access to fuck it up.

the only thing that would make it workable would be to have a hidden conveyor over the last section of the factory belt with a few more cans stashed away  where the player can't shoot them.

i'll think about it

edit: interesting. exploding barrels can be spawned with a switch (they're small - they look to be maybe 24 by 24, but should work)
i'll get rid of the pipebombs at that location and just spawn a handful of barrels with the last switch

edit2: worked very well. made a couple barrels spawn - where the player can't get to them in time before they dropped into the street- made the manhole cover a little bigger and rotated it so a large portion of a corner occupied where the barrels stopped moving. blew up every time