What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Quote from: ck3D on  19 December 2014, 18:08:25
.... but i just so happen to have a shitload of spare time this month and not much else to work on, which drew me to it again and now i am kind of all tangled up in the mapping spiral. i am having fun taking this closer and closer to completion, i hope you guys will have fun playing it as well when it comes out

Somebody must have heard my prayers..... :D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Quote from: MSandt on  19 December 2014, 19:29:33
You pray for MRCK to map?
huh
i figured you'd understand praying (wishing/wanting) for realistic things instead of to some invisible imaginary sky monkey

life must be pretty dull if you have no goals or desires
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

Quote from: ck3D on  19 December 2014, 13:39:53
i need to add a few minor touches of detailing (cars, subtle trimming) to the surrounding block and implement the actual action (monsters and all - expect something quite unorthodox once again) but otherwise yes, the area is globally finished. you can't tell from a 'still' screenshot, but the buildings around the main area all slowly collapse / sink into the bright green lava thing surrounding the playable zone. the player can't exit the block, the aliens have placed all kinds of forcefields around the street itself (the screenshot is taken from an unreachable place) ; monsters regularly respawn from out of that zone though, and can get to the player as though they were immune to the forcefields (one-sided blocked walls). map theme is the end of the world, earth is being destroyed and the only (humorous) reason why the aliens can't seem to take duke's block down as well will remain a surprise for now.

i am kind of making it a point to keep that incredibly big, open block with a tall-ass building on the bland / vanilla style, because the few interiors i have built are very detailed and more cramped and for some odd reason, the contrast between both styles feels pretty amazing to me. not like any player is going to have the time to nitpick about a lack of detail outdoors anyway considering the type of gameplay i want to implement.

also the destroyed building in the center of the screenshot is complete with five different floors you can visit, and more generally this urban piece is only going to be about a fifth (?) of the map, maybe even less. the rest of scenery is going to be a lot different, also from everything people have got used to seeing in my maps for over a decade

If gameplay is how I understand it to be, with never ending wave-based enemies spawning from every side of the block while the player has to make his way through the level, it sounds very interesting.
But don't forget some players WILL try to kill every enemy
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

ck3D

not literally never-ending waves (which, let's face it, sounds like nothing but an excuse for an easy slugfest), but close enough, and the weaponry will be distributed accordingly too so noone should worry really. also, it is worth noting that this is all only going to be nothing but the intro of the map too - only the first 10 minutes or so will revolve around that city block and feature this type of gameplay. the rest shouldn't even be city-themed, i still have to build everything else that's supposed to come after that part though !

Sanek

Just 2 screenshots from another "experimental" map I'm working on right now. Like my recent map "Cold in November". Coming VERY soon (maybe in the next couple of days).

sT1LL_WAnTeD

new map im working on called ''south of heaven''

Puritan

Hi and welcome aboard  :)
What kind of map?
DM? SP?
Cave styled maps is appreciated.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

sT1LL_WAnTeD

Going to include both SP and DM, and still in the early stages, gonna take my time with the map

sT1LL_WAnTeD

early stages of ''south of heaven''

Micky C

That does look nice.

Note that there's a mapster scipt that shading of surfaces at different angles automatically, which should help give a nice first pass of shade for the natural terrain in that cave.
Wall whore.

Sanek

Such a strange moment when the map you're working on can be really great, but unfortunately people call it empty.

Puritan

Well, can't see much - can't say much  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

Quote from: ck3D on  21 December 2014, 14:27:30
not literally never-ending waves (which, let's face it, sounds like nothing but an excuse for an easy slugfest), but close enough, and the weaponry will be distributed accordingly too so noone should worry really. also, it is worth noting that this is all only going to be nothing but the intro of the map too - only the first 10 minutes or so will revolve around that city block and feature this type of gameplay. the rest shouldn't even be city-themed, i still have to build everything else that's supposed to come after that part though !

haven't touched the map I was talking about in that post in weeks due to lack of spare time, it is far from abandoned though. in fact i added a shit ton of cool stuff to it before coming to my current break. wall limit is closing in and i plan on adding a lot of stuff and different types of scenery, so i might as well turn it into a 2- / 3-map mini episode or something at some point. definitely have lots of inspiration and plans of never-before-seen themes going for that one.

it's going to take a lot of time to complete, though. i would consider myself lucky if i eventually got to release it before the end of the year. i have been working on and off (mostly off) on that map since 2011.

sT1LL_WAnTeD

''South of Heaven'' still in the making