What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

sT1LL_WAnTeD

Working on halloween map for 2018. resident evil 1 mansion style map.

Forge

nice art.
map looks well detailed and trimmed.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Quote from: sT1LL_WAnTeD on  09 August 2018, 04:13:58
Working on halloween map for 2018. resident evil 1 mansion style map.

The style looks somewhat like a crossing between: Devastator, William Gee and Maarten v. Oostrum  :D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

sT1LL_WAnTeD

after years of not doing a big project, thought i might start now. next big project influence of dark souls. . it will be called
Duke Souls. . i usually map out a level on the spot , but to save a shit load of hours wandering around in mapster figuring out what to do next, I decided to sketch out layout of map first before mapping. First time doing this and let me tell you, Im making progress while saving a shit load of hours of my time. because without it, i would just wander around map for hours trying to figure what to do next (waste of time) . now got it on paper, and proceed with it, no time wasted.

- cheers
       sT1LL_WAnTeD

Forge

I usually already had the primary layout already mapped out in my head. What I found as tedious and time consuming was all the detailing and additional sector work. I got burnt out trying to  give individual areas environmental immersion. I don't have the patience or creative knack for it, and it caused me to bounce around different areas of a level and waste even more time.
I envy people like you who seem to be able to do it effortlessly.

sT1LL_WAnTeD

2018 holiday map coming soon

sT1LL_WAnTeD

holiday map 2018 simple teasers. nothing major. no spoilers. but nice little details

sT1LL_WAnTeD

construction time only a month. so its crunch time any free time , trying to release it as early as possible of December. cheers

Puritan

A small snap from something I'm playing around with...
Broke the old limits in Build today  :D

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

looks interesting, but needs more cowbell

ck3D

Some really cool screenshots posted in this thread! No update for over a year, I hope those projects haven't died in the meantime!

I've been working on an episode called Blast Radius since last summer. I have two maps ready so far and am currently on the third. All the maps push the sector/wall etc. limits to their fullest, and I want roughly 10 of them so it's pretty ambitious work. Probably won't be out in a year if not two. I posted a few WIP screenshots of map 3 last night on Duke4 here: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/1093-what-are-you-working-on-for-duke-right-now/page__view__findpost__p__346556 and some from the previous maps are peppered here and there throughout that same thread. Will start an official WIP thread on here and Duke4 sometime, it's not ready enough yet to warrant one, but close enough.

Puritan

Finally found some time to add a few sectors to the map.
Not much to show off really, just a peep at the top floor of a building.
This map has been w.i.p. for four years or something.....things doesn't happen as fast as they used to  :P
Oh when I'm old and wise

Aleks

Nice to see something going on around this thread and it's cool you're working on something, Puritan! Is it the same map that was on your previous screenshot from 2019? Looks cool, especially the 2nd one, there's some nice depth to it from the structure. Is it gonna be some kind of mall?

And working on a project for 4 years is something I can easily relate to... Back in Business taking 17 years was one thing, but now I picked on a map I started in 2008. It's at about 12k walls already, so I'd say about 75% done, I have quite clear idea of what areas need to be build and how the progression will go (actually I have made so many sketches over the years with map layout and specifically marked progression that it's insane). Was mostly just drawing the outlines/interconnections of the new areas lately, to get a better estimate on how should I plan out the resources. The map takes place in an underground hi-tech complex. It will be based more on atmosphere and puzzles than intense combat this time (in fact I'm planning to limit the enemy rooster to more "horrorish" ones like Newbeasts, Octabrains, Slimers and Commanders - hit-scanners will be out this time). Here's 2 quite old screenshots, but not much has changed in these areas.

Puritan

Quote from: Aleks on  06 January 2021, 12:53:58
Nice to see something going on around this thread and it's cool you're working on something, Puritan! Is it the same map that was on your previous screenshot from 2019? Looks cool, especially the 2nd one, there's some nice depth to it from the structure. Is it gonna be some kind of mall?

Thank you.
I spend quite many hours working on stuff on CGS behind the scene.
Mostly reading and testing code. Then write new code wherever it's needed. (hence the leap from old PHP-code and into PHP 7 and above)
When getting tired of it I find it very relaxing to enter the Build engine.
Could have been more often obviously.

The shot is not from a mall, it's supposed to be a part of the EDF administration area.
The map will be a journey through; a mall (!), some burger joint, an industrial area, a small cityblock and, of course, the reactor core  :P

The two shots you posted looks very good indeed !
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

All the screenshots on this page look really cool, how are you doing with your map project Puritan? I've been checking out more of your releases lately, especially in video form as my playing time is non-existent and thus all of it goes into mapping instead but watching videos is easier. Someone on YouTube is actually in the process of making of map-per-map playthrough of Vermin Clearance, I think the first four levels are up for now (should be easy to find, if you can't try looking up something like 'Vermin Menace' because I seem to remember they botched some of the upload titles). Always love your style and general activity and so I hope to see something new from you sometime!

For those who don't want to Duke4, I started a ModDB page for my current project: https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-3d-blast-radius by the way there is also the revised version of a Mapster speed/structured mapping tutorial thing I originally wrote in a Duke4 post up on there as an article, if you think that can be of any use for CGS, Puritan, you have my authorization to copy/host it.