What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Tell the world about your work in progress here.
Duke Plus mod? A bright shining Polymer map? Your own made art/models?
A combination of features?
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I've been thinking of doing something serious sam styled for WGRealms 2. This is a quick mockup inspired by the medieval segment of the second encounter. Would people be interested in playing something like this?
Edit: click on image to expand.

Wall whore.

Forge

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Well I've stopped working on that, but there is some good news. Today I made a new Serious Sam TFE styled level with about 6-7 minutes worth of gameplay. It takes up half the size of the default mapster grid. Unfortunately you guys can't really play it until the next version of WGRealms 2 comes out, which could be several months or more.

It's hard to take a good picture, the aesthetics come from the 360 emersion and sheer size of the architecture, and it's hard to convey that in an image. Plus there's more focus on the gameplay than details.

Now when are other people going to post some stuff?  :-\

Wall whore.

James

Really liking those shots! You've done a great job recapturing the SS style - if I were you though I'd make the level full-visibility and add really strong shading (maybe get rid of those big outter walls and just add smaller ones to make this easier) :)

Micky C

It's actually supposed to be a night level, and I'm hoping to put some polymer lights in there at some point. But to be honest, I'm just scared of putting in sector based shadows for such large architecture, there's going to be a lot of overlapping. In fact I'm scared of sector based shading in general. I came into mapping at a time when polymer was this really big and new thing which offered an easy way to quickly light a level and make it look great. And then TROR came in, which meant I didn't learn the skill of cleverly implementing and portraying various heights and 3D layouts using the old restrictions.

So I feel that in some ways this has advantaged me, as I think of myself of being one of the more experienced and skilled mappers in the department of polymer lighting and TROR geometry, but less experienced at everything else, and it's weaknesses like implementing good sector shading which are holding me back from releasing high quality maps  :(

Edit: wow, that was a bit of a tangent  :P
Perhaps I'll at least lower the walls like you said and add some giant pyramids to the sides. In the mean time I'll try to play to my mapping strengths as best as I can.
Wall whore.

James

There's no need to be worried about overlapping shading - it's a good skill to pick up. Just make the shadows to just a straight angle to start with, than when you get better you can gradually work with different degress. I promise that it'll make your maps look much much better to have strong sector shading, since Polymer lights IMO are only good for interior stuff - they just can't emulate natural sunlight.

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  16 December 2011, 14:06:07
Well I've stopped working on that, but there is some good news. Today I made a new Serious Sam TFE styled level with about 6-7 minutes worth of gameplay. It takes up half the size of the default mapster grid. Unfortunately you guys can't really play it until the next version of WGRealms 2 comes out, which could be several months or more.

It's hard to take a good picture, the aesthetics come from the 360 emersion and sheer size of the architecture, and it's hard to convey that in an image. Plus there's more focus on the gameplay than details.

Now when are other people going to post some stuff?  :-\

I like the base architecture and texturing.

Sector based shading is pretty simple, but if you have alot of outdoor area or outdoor structures, it can get a little tedious, especially when it comes to overlapping.
The last map I dug out of the toilet and released only had overlapping in a couple of spots because I ran out of resources. I see that happening alot with tror, so staying with polymer lighting isn't a bad decision. It might not work the best in all situations, but you'll be able to do a little more with the construction side of the map

Micky C

Yeah that's the main problem here. I haven't shown the central part of the 'city' where there are several relatively close together buildings, and it would be impossible to not have shading where the shadows hit other buildings. I also have a few big pools of water. I was thinking that if it's night time, there wouldn't need to be any giant shadows because there'd be no sun. That's where polymer can take over and have lots of flickering orange torches everywhere. It's kind of annoying that after all these years, polymer is still unoptimised as it is. We'd be able to spit out a lot more amazing stuff like Eternity if it was rewritten to be at least as fast as polymost when several lights are on screen.

And for the record I do NOT recommend using sector based shading with TROR. If you plan on making either a large or detailed map, you can not spare the walls. Not to mention wall shading and trimming also become a lot more complicated and wall hungry. Unfortunately, at least in the TROR CBP, polymer lights aren't good either because of the sheer amount of sectors and lights visible at the same time, the fps will grind to a halt even on the most powerful machines. That's my opinion after trying both methods. We're going with sector based shading as best we can.
Wall whore.

Forge

In the case of your tror cbp, i'd recommend mixing it up between sector based shading and polymer lights. keep both to a reasonable minimum and don't even bother with overlapping to conserve the wall count.

Arghantyl

This afternoon,i will work on my beloved mod : Welcome to Suncity  8)

It's a classic mod of Duke nukem :it includes new ennemies,new weapons (i hope),new graphics and of couse new maps.

I will create a special topic about this because i need beta-testers

[attachment deleted by admin]
Another day,another challenge.

Merlijn

@ Arghantyl: looks nice, I especially like that first shot. The telephone poles look really cool. Maybe the surrounding rocks can use some slopes and height differences?

@ Micky: that looks pretty cool, looks like you managed to recreate the scale of serious sam, and added some cool structures. I would prefer a level in full, bright daylight, since it would make the sheer size of the level even more clear. But it's up to you of course.
You could also add some big structures like the Ice level from the first episode, it would be a great contrast with that blue-ish sky I think.

Puritan

Quote from: Merlijn on  18 December 2011, 13:27:07
@ Arghantyl: looks nice, I especially like that first shot. The telephone poles look really cool. Maybe the surrounding rocks can use some slopes and height differences?

Second that  ;)

Open your own thread Arghantyl. It seems that this mod is coming around nicely!
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Arghantyl on  18 December 2011, 13:14:40

This afternoon,i will work on my beloved mod : Welcome to Suncity  8)

It's a classic mod of Duke nukem :it includes new ennemies,new weapons (i hope),new graphics and of couse new maps.

I will create a special topic about this because i need beta-testers

did you release an alpha of this, or at least the map in the first screen shot, some time ago? It looks very familiar

Arghantyl

Yeah,you gessed it  ;)

The first shot was the same than i showed in januar,even if i've added a lot of sectors.
The second shot is from a new map made in october.

I will create a topic when i would finish a test version.It can takes some weeks.
I will explain there a every thing about this project.

And i've yet released one map  :)
Another day,another challenge.