What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

reflex17

thx Mikko :)

yeah I haven't released much, but I've been mapping for various games since about 1992

nice to meetya Micky C!

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  07 March 2012, 11:27:59
I don't think I'm familiar with you as a mapper. What work have you done in the past?

What!?
Go play "Last train to Marsville" now!  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I barely have a spare minute for browsing the forums these days, except of course for the odd half hour I spend mapping. I'll try to play it in my next odd half hour.
Wall whore.

Gambini

Do you use that "conceptual grandness" link quite often Mikko? I have the feeling i saw it several times, but I actually never been in Unreal sites.

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Gambini on  08 March 2012, 01:00:21
Do you use that "conceptual grandness" link quite often Mikko? I have the feeling i saw it several times
The same here, I think so, but can't remember on which review I saw it...

MSandt

Do you use that "conceptual grandness" link quite often Mikko? I have the feeling i saw it several times, but I actually never been in Unreal sites.

Yeah I've used it a couple of times although sometimes I refer to the term without a link.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

James

The term's stuck in my head as well, it's a great term.

reflex: at the mountains of madness is one of my favourite Lovecraft stories, looking forward to it :) Kinda sad that the film won't ever be made though. The AMC TC has some lovecraft-style levels in the later parts of it that might interest you.

methy

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  08 March 2012, 04:36:54
Do you use that "conceptual grandness" link quite often Mikko? I have the feeling i saw it several times
The same here, I think so, but can't remember on which review I saw it...

google is your friend

http://www.unrealsp.org/community/leveldesign/articles/conceptualgrandness.html
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

MikeNorvak

@James: Yeah, when I knew they canceled the production of Del Toro's film due being R-rated I was really angry, go to fuck off Hollywood!!!

reflex17

The map is coming along, still working on mountains after like 3 days lol but I'm almost at the start of the 'upward path' after Lake's camp. The map so far uses about 1/2 of the total grid space, tho I mention that not for bragging rights but I just had to make this map immense to do justice to the source material. It's a bit of a balance between getting it done quick and staying exactly true to the text, but hopefully I'll have something that at least simulates the setting, atmosphere etc.

@James&Norvak Oh man that sucks! I had heard about it but didn't know it was cancelled. That's a shame, Del Toro probably would've actually made it a good movie and not some blockbuster bullshit, he seems to know when to turn that tap on or off. Cool to see other Lovecraft fans around tho :)

MikeNorvak

Quote from: reflex17 on  08 March 2012, 22:27:48
The map so far uses about 1/2 of the total grid space

Did you know that you can increase the size of the work space? just open the file "mapster32.cfg" and type "524288" on this line:

; Grid limits
editorgridextent =

reflex17

and if you type Transylvania 6-5000 jeff goldblum shows up at your house and uses mapster to make a castle level

ahem! no I didn't know that! I had heard about increased grid limits but never looked into it any further... I'm worried that with an expanded sandbox it'll take that much longer to make, but I'll keep that in mind for future reference! great tip thanks :)

Gambini

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  08 March 2012, 22:40:22
Quote from: reflex17 on  08 March 2012, 22:27:48
The map so far uses about 1/2 of the total grid space

Did you know that you can increase the size of the work space? just open the file "mapster32.cfg" and type "524288" on this line:

; Grid limits
editorgridextent =

That doesn´t work anymore. The grid size has been decreased, and there´s a hardcoded limit you can not pass.

MikeNorvak

@Gambini: I'm using that limit right now and it does work. Maybe you are using an older snapshot?

@Reflex17: You should thank to Gambini, since he told me about it :P

EDIT: actually what I always do when set up a fresh EDuke folder, is type: "9999999" on that mapster.cfg line and it resets automatically to 52... whatever, so I don't need to bother about remembering that number...

Gambini

I may be becoming crazy but TX fixed the grid size for about the time I was working on It lives. I remember that perfectly because once I discovered Lebuild´s map corruption checker I found a couple of bugs in DPCB that wanted to fix. To my surprise, part of the map was outside the grid limit and editing mapster.cfg didn´t work. I reported the bug and TX said it was deliberate because such a large grid would lead in a lot of engine overflows beacuse large coordinate values. He said the only thing I could do was backdating my Mapster32 copy and move the map inside the new grid limit.

It could be that the number you´re using is this new limit and that I´m having the impression it is that old, large one. Or maybe they changed their mind recently and I still don´t find out.

EDIT: Go check if with that value you can reach all the parts of DPCB and we will disambiguate this issue.  :)