What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  31 January 2012, 00:01:38
Anyway I have a long to-do-list. Look it in this way, making that kind of maps help to improve my mapping speed :P

I wasn't trying to be insulting. I haven't even looked at the map you posted.

I was attempting to be positive about your other map. I see alot of potential in sunstroke with the cool visuals, map progression (even though I got lost), and architecture. It's definitely worth the time to fix up a bit and release even if you're tired of looking at it.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MikeNorvak

@ Forge :

You didn't sound insulting, but I take that like a subtle way to say that I should spend my mapping time on more important projects, anyway that isn't a bad advice at all :) Wherever, about sunstroke what bothers me is some cramped areas inside the ship and the size of the map, it is huge. I have a cool plan for it, but haven't had the motivation to make it.

About gameplay, after you reach the ship cockpit you'll find a tripbomb, it is supposed you need to use it to descend the cliff, next you'll find a yellow keycard in the green truck at the right, the slot is in a door at the very left of the map, the switch in that room unlocks the big EDF door.

In order to access the underwater spaceship you need to find a green "crystal" in the red caves at the river bottom at the left of the map.

EmericaSkater

Quote from: James on  31 January 2012, 00:32:09
Seriously tasty looking screenshots there; are those explosive/incendiary shells in the first shot, or is that flame coming from the monster itself?

It's from the monster. He breathes fire.
ANARCHY

Micky C

Quote from: EmericaSkater on  30 January 2012, 19:40:16
K, switched tracks with the test map and started reworking it. I'm doing this because the map itself is supposed to help me figure out which textures/sprites I need to create the atmosphere I'm going for (and by that token, which ones I can get rid of). Threw this together this morning.

Did you make all of that in one morning?  :o

This is my answer to Norvak's speed mapping thing. Took me one and a half hours, I would have liked to do a bit more, but that was the time limit. It's the first time I've tried making a map in such a short time, and I imagine it's good practise for any CBPs I might join in the future. The pic is slightly outdated, but not by too much.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5234-1-12-hour-mapping-project/page__view__findpost__p__118632
Wall whore.

Micky C

I've spent the past while creating some 3D overlapping sloping floating platorms using advanced TROR scissoring. It's not much to look at yet, but by golly could it add a new dimension to gameplay. I'm thinking of making it into another Serious Sam inspired map for WGRealms 2, the simple, yet 3D design would suit Serious Sam a lot better than Duke. With a fogpal, some nice brick texturing, windows and water fountains built into the walls, and treasure chests and torches lining the place, it could be quite atmospheric if done right.

Wall whore.

EmericaSkater

Quote from: Micky C on  31 January 2012, 05:16:12
Did you make all of that in one morning?  :o

Uh, you mean the level design?
ANARCHY

Micky C

yeah the level geometry, I'm assuming you put the custom art and code in there prior
Wall whore.

EmericaSkater

In that case yeah, I did all that in the space of a few hours the other morning. In all fairness, though, I already had a pretty good idea how I wanted to go about building it. I don't start dragging my heels on mapping till I run out of ideas, which is more the rule than the exception, unfortunately.
ANARCHY

Micky C

No real updates, but I'm still working on that AMC TC map a bit here and there. So James, don't think you can get away from finishing that documentation that easily ;)
Wall whore.

reflex17

"I could not help feeling that they were evil things - mountains of madness whose farther slopes looked out over some accursed ultimate abyss."

"That seething, half-luminous cloud background held ineffable suggestions of a vague, ethereal beyondness far more than terrestrially spatial,
and gave appalling reminders of the utter remoteness, separateness, desolation, and aeon-long death of this untrodden and unfathomed austral world."

I'd call it a speed-mapping project, but I don't think that's possible with me lol *slaps forehead* All the same I decided to take a break from working on MarsBase for a few days to see how quickly I can build a map - for a setting I chose "At the Mountains of Madness", a sci-fi/horror story by H.P Lovecraft about a doomed expedition to antarctica and what they find there. I read this story only a few months ago for the first time and it's been bothering me to make a map of it ever since... I don't have much to show yet cuz the level is still quite rough but I'll post more screens soon... just a teaser for now then back to work hehehe

MikeNorvak

Intriguing!....

It surprises me how there aren't any Duke map based on some Lovecraft story, specially on At the mountains of madness, all the Lovecraft world give endless possiblities for a TC.

Puritan

Well, the screenshot doesn't tell me much.
But knowing that reflex17 is the author makes me feel confident that this is gonna be a kick-ass map. Even if it is a "speed map"  ;)

And you are working on a Mars map....  my mouth fills with water  :o
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

reflex17

The items and monsters I was re-doing for an update to Marsdemo are at about 75% complete. I already know what I want to do for most of those Mars levels, the 1st only took so long cuz I wanted a lot of extreme variation... Hopefully I can carry thru and help fuel speedy progress on that old beast. That first screen ^ up there I meant to just establish a mood, which is gigantic dark and threatening mountains... my cup of tea hehe

Speaking of threatening, I guess I just have to answer to him now:

LARRY THE MOUNTAIN MONSTER SAYS MAKE A GOOD MAP OR I WILL EAT YOU AH OM NOM NOM

(the map is fullbright for editing and then I notice this face, which was totally unintentional but fine nonetheless  :-X)

Micky C

I don't think I'm familiar with you as a mapper. What work have you done in the past?
Wall whore.

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark