What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

reflex17

2nd mars map is a few weeks away, but in the next few days i might need a beta-tester for the re-release of the first mars map, if you feel like doing that... if anyone else wants to test also, plz do send me a pm with your email addy and i'll toss it over when it's ready :)

High Treason

Been a while since I showed any more of this off, but I just realised that both floors of the building are nearing 50% completion (I'd forgotten how much had changed, those old shots are very empty) - of course I still have the grounds and the basement to do... And more code. Did I mention that my desk is completely covered with maps and notes, project still isn't intimidating me but it's certaily larger than anything I've done single handedly before so I've decided that there's no harm taking long breaks from it, it drains me and my arms hurt when I use Mapster/Notepad for long periods of time now.

Firstly, nothing too remarkable on it's own, but I'm proud of it, I sat here for over an hour trying to figure out how to make this work with TROR, given that there was already a stack here. I'm not entirely sure I did it right as some renderbugs occur in the editor, but you can never look at the two offending walls in the game in a way that causes these so I'm gonna ignore them, there isn't anything here yet though, but this area will serve a significant purpose at some point.

Secondly, the sitting room, nothing ever happens in here, it's just a room between two places (that hallway in the old shots - which has a few doors leading off it now - and the study.) and I am aware of the texture alignment in the upper right corner of the image. Aside from that I'd say this room is about done design-wise, of course I have to add a load of other crap in there (AI waypoints, effectors and other things that the player is never aware of).

That room might have some minor tweaks though, I'm trying to figure the right balance between details and not cramping the player. I have come up with a working solution which I suspect others may have employed in the past, the parameters just need fine tuning.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

I'm glad you're finally getting the hang of TROR, and that room in the second shot could use a rug or some kind of carpet in the centre of the floor to give it depth and make it look less empty, then it should look about right.
Wall whore.

reflex17

WIP shots from mars base level 2, also i've thought a lot more about the storyline so the overall episode is now titled "Project Ares"

(click images to expand them slightly)

workshop for the repair and maintenance of transports

a view back to the outskirts of gamma base from down inside a martian valley

security checkpoint leading to a breakroom/locker area

Puritan

Oh my....my mouth is watering  :o
Especially the second shot gives me the chills.
I know that something epic is headed our direction!
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

reflex17

thankyou for your kind words, good sir! 'epic' is a word i always try to keep at the front of my mind when making a map, from now on if i get stuck and don't know what to build i will say to myself 'make something that puritan would think is awesome' lololol :D

Micky C

I too look forward to exploring that red martian landscape  :D

I'm taking a bit of a break from regular mapping, and temporarily moved onto something a little more abstract (and therefore refreshing). I'm making a level using Zykov Eddy's Quake TC demo.

These images are more recent than those at Duke4.net, and show about a third of the areas I've done. (Click to enlarge).

Wall whore.

Forge

Nice to see some good looking and interesting maps and projects in the works
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

All in a day's work  ;D

How the fuck I'm getting a solid, constant 30 frames per second here I'll never know..
The scene has little to no detail other than the castle itself, but it's a fairly large open area. I was going to add a bit of detail around the edges, but perhaps I'll skip that in favour of potentially having a higher fps. The darkness will conceal most of the empty area anyway, and it's not like the original Quake was very detailed.

Wall whore.

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  17 July 2012, 05:18:17

How the fuck I'm getting a solid, constant 30 frames per second here I'll never know..
.... but it's a fairly large open area.

There you have it  ;)
(Looks like the torches are reflecting light from the nearby surfaces. That would be consuming resources)

Micky C

Huh? I'm saying that it's really good! It is a large area and there are over a dozen large torch lights. I'm surprised the fps counter was that high. What I found strange is that when the door's closed, blocking off the green lights and the inside of the castle, it's still 30 fps, no difference.

If you thought I was complaining about the fps counter rather than praising it, you seriously underestimate the inefficiency of polymer ;)
It's 60 in other areas though which is good.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Aha.....
Haven't had my first cup of coffee at work yet  ;D

Forge

Quote from: reflex17 on  16 July 2012, 01:37:44
thankyou for your kind words, good sir! 'epic' is a word i always try to keep at the front of my mind when making a map, from now on if i get stuck and don't know what to build i will say to myself 'make something that puritan would think is awesome' lololol :D

you're going to make a map full of fat chicks?
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

reflex17

LOL

well, i can't do that NOW, i can't stand my work being so predictable hahaha

ONTOPIC: i'm currently working on the storyline, it's going kind of slow because i'm cross-referencing a lot with wikipedia for the sake of somewhat historic detail. the story for project: ares begins with the creation of life as we know it, and ends with the details of why and how duke ended up on that train. story will be epic too guaranteed! :D