What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Oh my...
Are you starting with the early single-celled organisms and ending with Mr.Nukem?
That would be quite a time span to fill in  :o
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

reflex17

exactly! like a timeline or point-by-point history of a certain subject i only concern myself with things that will directly affect the plot, so no explanation of continental drift, glaciers and why rain falls down instead of up - just for a few examples lol

i've spent a fair amount of time thinking of the story and it explains where humans and the reptile aliens in the game come from all the way up to why Duke is to be cloned and how the hell he got put in cryo-stasis in the first place - you think he would stand for that? hehehe

i am quite proud of the plot so far and i like to reward a patient person who wants a little more than 4 lines of text for the story - my main hope is that it adds depth and atmosphere to the experience of playing the level(s) as well. :)

Micky C

Quote from: Forge on  17 July 2012, 18:43:33
Quote from: reflex17 on  16 July 2012, 01:37:44
thankyou for your kind words, good sir! 'epic' is a word i always try to keep at the front of my mind when making a map, from now on if i get stuck and don't know what to build i will say to myself 'make something that puritan would think is awesome' lololol :D

you're going to make a map full of fat chicks?

If we still have that quote of the day thing on the front page, I nominate this x1000000.

@reflex17, I don't know what any of that means but it sounds interesting.
Wall whore.

quakis

@MickyC: You're probably going to think of me as an ass for this, but as a personal opinion, I feel you should instead be making a Quake map for Quake. While Eddy's TC is a neat replica on a technical level, it's still not Quake and the mapping community isn't exactly dead. Seeing more maps for the actual game would be nice.

The only thing I'd understand though is that using an editor you're familiar with will produce better results than learning a new one from scratch. But I feel my point still stands. Then again, you might learn another thing or two working with different tools.

In the end it is your decision, so I'll leave it at that and say no more.

MSandt

Yeah it's ok as a technical curiosity but other than that the question should be "what's the point?".
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

What's the point? What's the point of any map? Maybe we should all give up right now. Mapping is just a fun hobby, which sometimes results in other people having fun as well when they play your finished product. If half a dozen people play this map and they all enjoy it, I'll be happy.

@Quakis; I see your point, and others have hinted that using other editors and making maps for other games comes in as handy experience, however I simply do not have the time to learn how to use a map editor all over again. One of the appeals of this project is that I can make progress with large relative speed. Maybe that's because I've gotten faster than I last tried making a map like this rather than the TC itself I don't know. I kind of wish I had this inspiration, speed and skill when working on my WGRealms 2 maps which are now quite old.

The other main thing that keeps me interested in mapping is always trying new stuff and seeing how far I can push the limits. In this case, I'm aiming for a simple, solid map with basic but highly practical use of TROR, combined with lighting to make an enjoyable map, with a secondary goal of emulating quake as closely as I can remember (which isn't much actually).

Besides, I'm making good progress, why stop?  :D
Wall whore.

Arghantyl

These last months,i could not handle any project but now i 'm determined

Beside my mod,i'm workin' on a usermap attempting to finish it;it 's an extended version of the DM map : doomed duel.
I cannot promise anything about aesthetic but his gameplay will rock.
I will surely  release it in 1-2 week.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Another day,another challenge.

Puritan

How exactly do you connect gameplay with DM maps?
I've never touched DM, but I thought gameplay is more like a single player term.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Arghantyl

Ouch,i 've missed something in my explanations  :o

The map i'm working is a Solo-Coop map which is based on the "Doomed duel"map.
It will have for theme the video-game Doom  :)

And to answer you,the duke match is rich and can have different gameplays.
The layout,the weaponry and items can give to a simple map multiple tactics and strategics .

But it 's true than people prefer largely just to have to shoot with RPG on every directions.
Another day,another challenge.

methy

I had missed those two screenshots, looks very interesting. I don't recognize your name, have you released anything already?
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Puritan

Quote from: methy on  15 August 2012, 12:23:30
I had missed those two screenshots, looks very interesting. I don't recognize your name, have you released anything already?

How about going here and search by author?  ;D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I haven't had much time for mapping lately, so I've decided to try to focus on my Quake map since it should be relatively easy to finish and get out of the way compared to my other projects.

I've had to resort to multitasking. I started working on it while watching the Expendables (1) for the first time, and I only got one room done, this chapel. Still, I like how it turned out so it's better than nothing.

Wall whore.

Forge

little difficult to get the full effect of the room from the angle of the screen shot, but the ambiance looks interesting
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

High Treason

Work resumed... for no particular reason.

Just starting on that room really and I'm not entirely happy with the look of it. Only a few more rooms to do and then it's on to the basement which is mostly black corridor and from there it'll be a long silence as everything else is code, models and graphics.

Edit: Oops... Should have posted this in the other "What are you working on" thread. Tough, it's here now, whaddaya gonna do 'bout it?
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

Quote from: High_Treason on  09 September 2012, 18:04:13
Edit: Oops... Should have posted this in the other "What are you working on" thread. Tough, it's here now, whaddaya gonna do 'bout it?

;D
Oh when I'm old and wise