What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Loke

Looks good. A bit gray perhaps but it's a prison so I don't really mind it to be honest. For some odd reason it reminds me of the first level from Unreal...  ???

Forge

Quote from: High_Treason on  11 November 2012, 06:35:40
Posting in the Mods section as this one relies heavily on TROR and only works with Polymer, which to guys around here is probably alien technology
I'll be sure MickyC, Mike Norvak & pbolduc get banned so that statement is true

I still get a DNR 8-Bit Only vibe around here, not saying that's a bad thing, part of what makes it worth being on both forums.
This is a forum where talking about maps from all time periods is a bit more welcome than it is at that "other" forum. It just so happens that more non-polymer & non-HRP maps exist so those get talked about the most. I'm personally not biased; if I can play it then I can review and upload it. Unfortunately Puritan's current rig can't handle some of the requirements for a few of these latest releases so it falls on me to review them, and I haven't turned one away yet that I'm aware of. I'm inclined to think Puritan prefers the old over the new, but he still hosts the latest and greatest of maps that come across his hard drive.

Those are the facts, but I'm glad that this site gives out an old school vibe.

As for the screen shot; due to the angle from which it was taken I'd have to agree with Gambini's comments. Doesn't look like there's alot going on at ground level.

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Yeah, we upload anything related to Duke Nukem 3D.

But as I stated in the Site News & Feedback board ( About large files) we will not host total conversions with hundreds of MB's as of yet.

Having said that: We're now close to 400 maps / mods hosted. Me and Forge agree about that we should have at least 600.

When we've reached about 600 maps/mods it will be possible to host larger files as I have quite a few GB's of free space available on our server.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

By the time we reach 600 maybe the new WG Realms will be released.

I re-read what I posted and I wasn't trying to sound like an dictatorial jackass as if, "this is it, and this is final", but it came out that way. Sorry. I suppose this site has an old school atmosphere because that's what is encouraged. We appreciate the old maps and projects and don't like to see them lost and forgotten.
No one gets turned away, but the type of people that are attracted to this site is narrow. It's difficult for people who enjoy polymer and tror to have conversations about those topics because there are only a handful of members here who still map, and even fewer who use those updated options.
On a sour note we also don't attract what I call "glory hound mappers" which is encouraged by that other forum. Those are the people who make small sections of a map and take screen shots to post on a forum so they can receive praises and ass kisses. This is magnified at the other site because of the reputation system. Those people get their ego boosts and get points for taking nice pictures. Since they never actually release anything they would only be tolerated at this site for so long before they started receiving "harassment" to actually release something.

I'm going to have to ban myself for going on an off topic rant  :P

Drek

LMAO... I just came from "that other site" to get your oldschool hardknocks opinion on my map. Here is the post from D4.

QuoteI've got this abomination on my hard drive. It's all nine levels from DOOM 1 Episode 1 Knee Deep in the Dead, all rolled up into one map, converted to run with WGR2 Seige Breaker. Have I got your attention? Want to beta test this with me? I just finished a run through the gauntlet and am going to spend another few hours in mapster tonight then it'll be ready for another test run. Post here or PM me if you're interested.

Anyways, I'm terribly guilty of some "glory hound screenshots" +1000000 rep for me for all time happiest person alive :P Now anybody else got demons to kill? PM me if you dare run the gauntlet.

Micky C

I can't find the Duke4.net post or the map.

Btw, I bet that level has some really simple architecture, so you might be able to fill it up with some nice looking polymer lights without ruining the gameplay.
Wall whore.

Drek

Micky, the maps going through another night of editing here before I pass it out for more testing. I'll send you the link. As for adding lights, the map is for WGR2 as released, which means no lights cause polymer didn't work. (ya DT fixed it for us and could write a patch I guess but this map really suits the classic renderer. You've played it man, there are no slopes and only ceiling doors, I'm not adding lights)

Micky C

Suited for the classic renderer?

My little screenshot begs to differ  ;)
It's actually more like 70fps, polymer is always slower in mapster.

Wall whore.

Gambini

You are a polymer stubborn person. Aren´t you Micky? No offence but I don´t think those lights make that area specially interesting. There´s too much contrast between dark and bright points.

Forge

Quote from: Drek on  14 November 2012, 23:49:10
Now anybody else got demons to kill? PM me if you dare run the gauntlet.

under normal circumstances I'd be more than happy to beta-test a project, but I've been pretty preoccupied with medical issues and getting things done around the property before the weather gets bad enough to drive me indoors. As it is I'm slacking on a couple projects that have been recently released and need to be reviewed and submitted, but I do look forward to playing the final version. The TC itself is entirely too large to host, but a single map shouldn't be an issue.

Micky C

Quote from: Gambini on  15 November 2012, 01:46:07
You are a polymer stubborn person. Aren´t you Micky? No offence but I don´t think those lights make that area specially interesting. There´s too much contrast between dark and bright points.

Ok we'll see what the final version looks like. The one I had there was an extremely early version with no shading, and the polymer lights did help a lot there, but I'm sure Drek has since added the proper sector shading.

It doesn't look that bad does it? I mean it makes it look a lot more colourful and high tech compared to no polymer lights, at least in my version. And the map can be made less dark to change the contrast.
Wall whore.

Gambini

Didn´t see the original map, so i can´t be objetive but... It´s that old argument again. If i were to sector shade that area it would look much different what it looks with those lights.

Micky C

Well I hate to disappoint you Gambini, but the polymerisation is already well underway  ;)
Don't worry though it won't interfere with classic or polymost.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Ok this is the only screenshot I'm giving until it's released, so you better like it! I'm not putting any pics up at Duke4.net. I love the way the colours blend together to make smooth gradients.

Wall whore.

MSandt

That lighting reminds of Unreal. Architecture is a bit more basic though.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark