What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

quakis

That's a huge improvement. I've always thought it, but good texture choices and alignment can make all the difference, even with simple geometry.

High Treason

Well, looks at least as good as the real serious sam to me.

As for me, I've scrapped my first two clock designs (though they did work) and am now using design version 2.5.

This is a 24 Hour clock, an hour and 40 minutes in it is only a second off (which is mostly from it's start-up time). It uses no additional CON Code. As two hours go by, the inaccuracy is catching up with it though;

It is a very complex (though less so than design MK1 and MK2.0) device requiring all of the red circled area to operate. I selected the area right RShift so it shows sprites.

The other areas you see above the red circle control things in the areas below it. There is a working 8-Story elevator among other things. They don't yet have a map to go into, but I'm formulating ideas. The clock can be used to trigger almost anything (originally a sound every 15 mins and muzak every hour) at set times, I will be using this clock and likely the elevator in my next map. On a final note, the clock is, by extension, capable of counting days, months, years and damn near anything I want.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

Hmmm....the 8-Story elevator is not an elevator but "elevator transport" with multiple SE 17's, right?
And with unique hitags?

That has been done in maps the last 10-12 years.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Almost. The magic actually happens in the small area outside the elevator door, you're effectively just selecting an SE7 to use, which takes you to an SE23. You can select any floor at any time, they don't have to be done in order.

Gambini

If you use that clock in your next map, I´d say you could resign the hours counter, as: Who plays a map for more than an hour anyway?

But cool anyways. I´m an enthusiast of complex effects. Just be sure to apply it in an interesting way.

Micky C

Underground Mayan civilisation based map that involves lots of exploration, puzzle solving, jump pads/jump boots/reverse gravity? Yes please!

Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  23 December 2012, 07:14:27
Edit: Don't worry Forge, I took away that rep point you got for the thread  :)
Ah, the best things in life are pointless.

aahhhaaha! we got jokes!  ;D

earth called me. i called them back and left a message, but they never returned the call
maybe instead of working on tror you should be re-writing your quick mapping guide for the proper use of "n"    ;)

edit: btw, there's another post in that map release thread you forgot to "fix"

so what exactly is that a screenshot of? it looks like a pyramid on the ceiling, but it could be an underwater picture as well.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

I really like the shot with the piramids on the last page, Micky. The new textures are indeed a huge improvement, looks very nice! :)

Micky C

Thanks Merlijn. If you're referring specifically to the pyramids in the background, they're actually models! (I know what you're thinking, "why not just make them out of sectors? It's very easy", well models render faster in polymer and it's also faster to place them in maps.)

@Forge: Do people actually read my speed mapping guide? I remember I was supposed to update it with something else, and maybe improve the formatting, but I can't remember what it was.

Perhaps this photo will clear things up for you. It's of the exact same area. Re-read my original post with the picture again and hopefully it'll click  ;)

Wall whore.

Loke

Dunno, but I'm thinking of Alien versus Predator.

Micky C

Doh, ok I'll give some background information. Like the photos I posted on the last page, this is from my WGRealms 2 Serious Sam episode. This level(s?) will have a mayan theme, and the first shot of it I posted was with gravity reversed and Duke walking on the ceiling, which he will have to do to get to the highest platform with the pyramid in the second shot.
Wall whore.

High Treason

Well, I don't have enough ideas to make a map yet so I have put the clock, elevator and other things in my parts folder (is it wrong that I plan to copy/paste the effects into a map when I have one?) then resumed work on my TC. I implemented the basics of an inventory system;

It displays when the crosshair is on (now a blank time) - I figured this was a decent idea as it reduces how much code has to be written and there is no need for the crosshair in a game that has third person cameras and non-existent combat (save for the character's ability to kick in boss fights) - the weapon keys select the item to use, they will still work when the inventory is not displaying (much like the M key ususally does for example).

Edit: I also meant to point out that I have devised a door system which boosts the framerate a lot (the game drew behind doors previously) and also those icons will probably be replaced with better ones.

Micky C

Close enough. Still might work on it some more. Needs a bit of shading too.

Wall whore.

Forge

agree that it needs some more shading. my personal opinion: I don't particularly care for the skybox in the first shot.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

I've made it darker, changed the skybox and gave it shading. However, no shadows yet. Not sure if I'll even add shadows, they'll be a pain to add if I do and they won't be very realistic.

The skybox in the first shot? But that's the original game. It looks better in-game (and is animated iirc)
Wall whore.