What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

David B.

As I see that releases are scarce these days, I'm giving some hopes with new detailed shots... as a promise there still will be ambitious and original releases for the game.
This time, the mapping is done in a proper style, far from any 3DRealms architecture levels.

I've been working on & off (mostly off as you'll guess) on this project for five months now. Some hours here and there, the two maps episode will be soon finished anyway... slowly but steadily. The following pics of the docks are taken from the second map.

I rarely posted shots from the first map, which is totally finished and remains a surprise until the end.

[attachment deleted by admin]
David B.

Puritan

Amazing shots, David :)
Somehow reminds me a little of Half-Life 2 environment.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

David B.

A lot of FPS game inspired me and gave some ideas.
But, for sure, the famous "Black Mesa" containers and these ones are somewhat related ;) ...and I was obliged to create them for such a theme (harbour).
You have a good eye.
David B.

Gambini

I wonder how that´s going to look without the HRP. Your previous map (that school) looked very well without it.

MikeNorvak

I need to play this!!!! (and before Gambini comes with obscene comments I mean I need to play the map!)

Sure it looks great without HRP as well.

David B.

Classic mode ? Why not, but...

Well... To give an example, the tile I have choosen for the sky has a weird behaviour in classic mode, moving in all directions (I really mean animated !). In high resolution, this tile is working properly. So it's just one example of what could occur when this mode is selected instead.

In fact, it quickly becomes tedious to work with every modes when mapping, and make it work with everything. That's why I've made a choice, and both maps will be suitable either with Polymer or at least a high resolution mode.

I won't say the maps wouldn't work in classic, but I'd rather WARN this is not intended for... and therefore weird things will sometimes happen. I anticipate any anomalies will be subsequently misintrepreted as bugs, so I don't like it that much. But it's true that, and especially with the first map, some areas - even with classic mode - still look great.

Hereunder how it looks in software mode, and at the same occasion an anomaly case :

[attachment deleted by admin]
David B.

Gambini

One of the few cases where a map looks better with the HRP!

I know exactly how it feels doing a map with some specific settings in mind to then seeing how it´s played with completely different settings. But IMO it doesn´t hurt anyone if you try to fix little issues like that, even for unsuported modes. Well that´s what I do at least with my maps. I, by no means, want them to be played with anything else than what i recommend. But understanding how most players will just play it the way they like the most. I always do things to enhace their experience as much as possible.

If I recall correct, that sky issue can be fixed by using only one sky texture in the whole map. Maybe you forgot a sector with a previous sky you tested? It´s also important that all sky sectors have the same panning value.

Forge

those look incredible. well done  8)

i prefer classic, but i'll play whatever is recommended

it's annoying when you recommend a mode or to play without mods like dukeplus and people still go against what you say then complain about compatibility issues or things not looking right
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

David B.

Quote from: Gambini on  08 March 2013, 23:30:55
If I recall correct, that sky issue can be fixed by using only one sky texture in the whole map. Maybe you forgot a sector with a previous sky you tested?
I'm going to check that, many thanks.

David B.

David B.

Quote from: David B. on  10 March 2013, 13:09:27
Quote from: Gambini on  08 March 2013, 23:30:55
If I recall correct, that sky issue can be fixed by using only one sky texture in the whole map. Maybe you forgot a sector with a previous sky you tested?
I'm going to check that, many thanks.

After having set up the same tile, same pan & same shade in every sectors of the sky, the problem still remains in the old mode.
So I regret the chances are pretty slim the map could be suitable for classic mode.
David B.

Forge

well if gambini isn't busy, send him a copy for beta-testing when the time comes. he might be able to "fix" it
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

Does resetting the sky textures with the '/' key not fix it? (referring to my qwerty keyboard) Usually works for me, would seem odd if even that doesn't solve the issue...

David B.

Quote from: Forge on  16 March 2013, 15:45:26
well if gambini isn't busy, send him a copy for beta-testing when the time comes. he might be able to "fix" it
Why not ? I'm not lazy but nothing I know seems to fix this trivial problem in order to make the map suitable also for classic mode, which would be an advantage for some players. Therefore if Gambini /or someone agrees, it's not a problem for me to send it when the time for beta-testing will come.

Quote from: quakis on  16 March 2013, 16:00:29
Does resetting the sky textures with the '/' key not fix it? (referring to my qwerty keyboard) Usually works for me, would seem odd if even that doesn't solve the issue...
It doesn't, I tried "/" key on azerty keyboard, but normally this key is only operating to fix walls texturing, not horizontal surfaces (referring to how my config actually works). Some history, I noticed the problem from the early beginning ; I started the map from a scratch, and as soon as there were but two sectors in the map, that sky began to bug in classic mode. Then I thought about another tile choice, but it wasn't suitable with the sea scenery - showing a break with the sea.
David B.

Gambini

No problem on checking it, send it when you feel ready.

I know the problem by first hand because my map Rush2k uses the same sky and had the same problem. But i sorted the problem 11 years ago. And what I did, kind of slipped out of my mind..  :P

David B.

David B.