What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

DavoX

I looked up on google and in fact a lot of buildings are like the screenshot! it's just that they have a bit more separation between each "roof".

Micky C

Will you people stop posting so I can give an explanation :P

Yes Merlijn it uses TROR for the architecture, 8 layers. Episode 2 makes heavier use of TROR than episode 1. But you'll have to play it to see ;)

Ideally yes they would probably get a bit smaller as it goes up, BUT it's just not practical.
1) it's much, much easier and faster to build it like this because it can use copy/paste.
2) it would use up a lot more walls
3) it would be much more complicated and therefore probably have tonnes of graphical glitches. I had to backflip through flaming hoops to get it as stable as it is, and even now it's not 100% perfect, but it's pretty close.
4) it would in real life also be taller and thinner but TROR in classic is restricted to 8 layers at the moment. So if we can't make it 100% authentic I think we can save ourselves a lot of work and settle with what we have. It's never going to be truely authentic in build anyway.

Points 1 and 3 are the main ones. With 3 being the biggest.

Edit: see it's not that off after all. Although it does have a big building at the base.
Wall whore.

DavoX

Leave it as it is, it looks wonderful with the trees and such :D

David B.

Regarding a new 2-maps episode I have just finished, I would need a second beta tester for Polymost so I get another opinion about gameplay or whatsoever.
The two levels are a little big together, so if someone is interested and have enough time then just email me.
David B.

Micky C

Quote from: David B. on  03 July 2013, 12:58:15
Regarding a new 2-maps episode I have just finished, I would need a second beta tester for Polymost so I get another opinion about gameplay or whatsoever.
The two levels are a little big together, so if someone is interested and have enough time then just email me.

If you're willing to wait until the weekend I can do that. Great to hear you've finished btw  :D

Maybe if you get someone else to betatest in the meantime, I can go through with a fine tooth comb and catch everything s/he missed.
Wall whore.

David B.

It's already finished 2 weeks ago, so yes I could wait for the week-end.
Thanks  ;)
David B.

DavoX

I could test it for you if you want.

Micky C

You guys can probably guess what this is for  :P
It's way too big a spoiler to show at Duke4.net IMO, but at some point in the 2nd map, Duke is going to get shrunk in a kitchen. I wonder where that idea came from  ::)

These pictures are half mockup, there's been a decent amount of experimentation, but things are starting to come together.

Wall whore.

DavoX

underTaker

Micky - have you considered creating bigger sized version of the floor texture? It would look more natural :)

David B.

If he creates custom tiles, therefore he could also create some (one/two?) cans of food sprites at the occasion rather than using the barrel sprites.

As the character is shrunk, everything now must seem not only taller, but also bigger.
So IMO the objects on the shelves should be bigger and the uprights and tablets shelves ticker.

Nice idea Micky.

David B.

Micky C

Since it's for the DNF mod, there's a possibility of adding new sprites. But that would be up to Gambini and I don't know how much effort he'd be willing to put into add new sprites for user maps. Certainly I'd love to have two or 3 of the Duke ceiling and floor tiles I'll be using resized to at least 4 times bigger (so far I've been building a normal sized kitchen and resizing it x10).

As for the objects on the shelves, most of them are already sized to the max. Although I might try resizing everything x8 since that also feels like a good size.
I'd be too much work to resize the shelves though. I don't think they're too unrealistic in proportion. They're only designed to hold jars afterall, not bricks of gold.
Wall whore.

James

You can use the tilefromtexture def command and include a def file module to add new textures, that way you won't have to touch any art files.

DavoX

That's insteresting James, and as long as we keep it simple like 1 or 3 textures I guess that wouldn't be a problem.

David B.

If you want to give a larger scale to a standard tile, I think you just have to modify the scale defined in the original .def file which will creates by the way a customised def file.
You should find a line like :    pal 0 { file "3596.jpg" xscale 0.25 yscale 0.25 }

I don't know if - by chance - the tile you'll use includes that line and therefore would be "downsized" in the original game (that's the case for a lot of textures), but if so
altering that line will immediatly make it looks spread or shrunk. For example, introducing 0.50 instead of 0.25, or simply deleting the bold part and see what happens.

David B.