What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Well whatever method we use, I'd like to have both a regular version and a large version since I'll probably be able to make it so that the player walks into the room normal size then gets "shrunk" via teleporter, sent to a large version of the room.

IIRC the mod itself doesn't use DEFs, rather traditional art tiles in a GRP. When I said "I don't know how much effort Gambini would be willing to put into add new sprites for user maps", what I meant was that he's not going to be adding hundreds of new tiles to make the kitchen have original big content. But I'd be surprised if he wouldn't be willing to add some resized tiles since the effort would be minimal, plus hopefully a few new joke signs (plain text on a wall looks too unofficial).
Wall whore.

DavoX

Wouldn't that modify all the levels though?

Sanek

As I've said in one of my previous posts, I want to try to make a TC, so that's what turns out:

The EDF soldiers from our DNF and the gun from AMC TC. I hope that I can replace it in the future.

Gambini

You shouldn´t use those sprites, that i made, without my blessing. It´s the same kind of sin you used to commit back in the AMC days. I´m sure there are other sprites you can use, of which authors are more generous and flexible.

High Treason

To be fair, Sanek did say he wanted to replace those in the post above. If that bothers you then you really don't want to know what I use as placeholders.

Otherwise, I certainly see potential in these screenshots.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

He said hoping to replace IT, like refering to the Amc Tc weapon, as I read it -or it may be his english-. Either way,  as long as he doesn´t distribute my work as part of his project, I´m not bothered.

Sanek

Quote from: Gambini on  01 October 2013, 06:43:18
He said hoping to replace IT, like refering to the Amc Tc weapon, as I read it -or it may be his english-. Either way,  as long as he doesn´t distribute my work as part of his project, I´m not bothered.
You're right, this is my english. I really don't know that you made it (I should read DNF txt file more carefully). Sorry.

Micky C

Where did you think he got it from? IIRC all the new art in the mod is either made from scratch, or edited Duke 3D art or DNF trailer art. Nothing is ripped from other games or mods. Probably a good thing too considering the publicity it got.
That looks like a heavily edited Duke sprite.
Wall whore.

Gambini

Yes, about everything in those art files has been made by me.

David B.

Well, here is how looks the result of an experience with the handling of customized tiles...

I'm thinking about a remake of a map which wasn't very well designed at the time (neither the gameplay) compared with what I had in mind :-\
I still don't know if I should go further with that but this is supposed to be a remake of "highland" - and if so - even the layout, the gameplay and map size would be so different.

Now you - as a player - how much would you be interested by that idea ? Yes... no... ? Beside I could also use all that material for other purposes instead...

[attachment deleted by admin]
David B.

Gambini

Architecture is top notch but lighting is too bright and flat. I´d not do a remake of a so young map. Base it losely on it, but don´t feel restrained by the original as I think you made good progress in layouts since then.

zykoveddy

Highland is a great map. Why would you remake a map like this?
From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.

Micky C

Yeah custom tiles when used effectively can really help make a map look fresh.

I agree with everyone that "remaking" Highland is unnecessary, since the map was still quite good despite a few small issues. From what you're saying it's going to be different enough that it might as well be called something else anyway.
Wall whore.

David B.

thanks for your appreciation, guys.

That gaves me some ideas and make me see the downsides.
David B.

Forge

no need to gambini a map that's already as good as it's going to get

besides i like the way the original looks compared to those tiles (which seem like they belong more in a hospital)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass