What are you working on now?

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

EmericaSkater

Unfortunately I had to put that CyClones project I was working on down. Long story short, I couldn't make a decent set of weapons with the resources I was using. Here's 5 screens of what I've been working on since then...

Wasn't too keen on the idea of announcing it at this stage of development, but I figure this board's enough off the grid to where I won't feel so bad about it. I've still got another 5 or 6 enemies to handle the artwork (and code) for, and I'm simultaneously throwing together the "test" map that's shown in the screens. Once all that's done, I'll see about sending a beta off to someone just to make sure that all the project's bells and whistles are working correctly, then it'll be ready for a video and a more proper announcement. As it is with these screens, there's two weapons and two enemies (if you count one of the zombieman variants) not pictured.

*EDIT* most of the inspiration for this cropped up while I was beta testing the AMC TC.
ANARCHY

Forge

the weapons are pretty neat. i like how the enemy looks while going up in flames
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Arghantyl

The mod seem just awesome  :D

I just hope than the maps will folllow.
Another day,another challenge.

James

Looks fantastic, all of it :) The levels in the background do a great job at being hi-tech and the weapons look polished, even if I am familiar with the sources of them.

Micky C

Yeah I thought it had a vague AMC TC feel to it. While I was looking at the pics I was thinking "I would love it if this guy made a map for the AMC TC", perhaps there's an eventual possibility that you will?
Wall whore.

EmericaSkater

Quote from: Forge on  01 January 2012, 17:58:57
the weapons are pretty neat. i like how the enemy looks while going up in flames

I'm actually pretty proud of the variety that the zombiemen have. They've got 4 different standard death animations that can play, 5 different soundsets, some have randomized weaponfiring sounds, you can set them on fire, blow them up (with the classic "doom" style gibs), dissolve them with ethereal flames, and I'm thinking about adding another weapon that'll let you dissolve them with plasma (which'll involve a totally different animation).

Quote from: Arghantyl on  01 January 2012, 18:57:52
The mod seem just awesome  :D

I just hope than the maps will folllow.

Yeah, it'll be a long road ahead, but I'm already brainstorming the first level, a plot-line for the project, etc.

Quote from: James on  01 January 2012, 19:30:50
Looks fantastic, all of it :) The levels in the background do a great job at being hi-tech and the weapons look polished, even if I am familiar with the sources of them.

You probably know it as well as I do, but you can't just dump Doom resources into DN3D's art files and expect them to look good. It takes a lot of editing, tweaking, etc. and often times it calls for a total recolor. When that's necessary, I prefer to redo the color scheme so stuff'll be more to my liking, hence the dark grey gloves, the red rifle lens, etc. I think the zombiemen probably took the most effort (at least for now). I had to stitch a spritesheet together out of the four different weapon variants (and ALL of their alternate deaths), individually recolor the suit for each guy, crop in different heads...Altogether it took me about two weeks of consistent work in EDITART but it was well worth it, methinks :)

Quote from: Micky C on  01 January 2012, 23:31:30
Yeah I thought it had a vague AMC TC feel to it. While I was looking at the pics I was thinking "I would love it if this guy made a map for the AMC TC", perhaps there's an eventual possibility that you will?

Much as I love the AMC TC, I think making a map for it just isn't in the realm of possibility right now. I've come to realize that I can only work on one thing at a time when it comes to modding (I didn't drop CyClones in favor of this, believe it or not...CyClones just kinda puttered out when I realized it wasn't any fun to play) ergo this project is getting all my attention. That point to past, there's a lot of different factors with the AMC TC that would just make it too difficult for me personally to map for, but I won't get into that. Course, I look forward to seeing what you and some of the other guys might be able to cook up.

ANARCHY

The Commander

Copied from Duke4.net

I can't say to much about these pictures sorry. NDA :)

Forge

I'll repeat what I said at Duke4; nice ambiance

Puritan

Fairytale like.
I can almost hear horses and King Arthur speech to his knights  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I posted this at Duke4.net a while ago but I might as well post it here too. It's kind of a trailer for my WGRealms 2 map, needless to say the map isn't finished (needs a lot of polishing and bug fixing), but one day I saw the DNF reveal trailer to relive the hope and excitement I felt when I first saw it back when I thought the game would be good, and thought to myself "hmm, it's got a pretty epic track/sounds, how can I poke fun at it?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTp3zIXofvQ
hmm too bad I can't embed it
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Here's a map I posted at Duke4.net it took me 1 hour 15 mins to make it :P

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5234-1-12-hour-mapping-project

[attachment deleted by admin]

EmericaSkater

K, switched tracks with the test map and started reworking it. I'm doing this because the map itself is supposed to help me figure out which textures/sprites I need to create the atmosphere I'm going for (and by that token, which ones I can get rid of). Threw this together this morning.

I think I've pretty much added the last enemy/weapon for this mod, so the bulk of the codework's done, ergo level design/aesthetic is being put front and center.
ANARCHY

Forge

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  30 January 2012, 19:18:04
Here's a map I posted at Duke4.net it took me 1 hour 15 mins to make it :P

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5234-1-12-hour-mapping-project

could've spent that hour working on sunstroke  ;)

Quote from: EmericaSkater on  30 January 2012, 19:40:16
I think I've pretty much added the last enemy/weapon for this mod, so the bulk of the codework's done, ergo level design/aesthetic is being put front and center.

I like the weapon and enemy in that first screen shot  8)

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Forge on  30 January 2012, 19:59:19
could've spent that hour working on sunstroke  ;)

Anyway I have a long to-do-list. Look it in this way, making that kind of maps help to improve my mapping speed :P

James

Seriously tasty looking screenshots there; are those explosive/incendiary shells in the first shot, or is that flame coming from the monster itself?