What game have you played lately

Started by Puritan, 20 December 2011, 21:27:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

I dusted off my copy of: Doom 3; Resurrection of Evil.

Man, I love that dark creepy feel of the Doom 3 releases!
I realized that dark games with lots of cool sound effects and ambushes is my cup of tea  :P
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Well, it doesn't count as 'playing' per se, but I just bought the entire half-life franchise for $10  ;D

I've played the HL2 demo, which I liked, although I could never finish any of the HL1 games, I'd always lose interest before I could.
Wall whore.

Arghantyl

If you like dark games so play Call of Cthulhu : dark corners of the Earth.
It was a pearl from my teenageness.
Another day,another challenge.

Puritan

@Micky:
10 box is just great. ( Don't tell me you haven't played Half-Life 2 before?  :o )

@Arghantyl:
Yeah, I've seen screenies and read some forum talks about that game. Should give it a try  ;)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

@Arghantyl: I'll look into it, but considering I've just bought the entire half life series, my time will be occupied for a while  8)

Quote from: Puritan on  20 December 2011, 23:12:51
@Micky:
10 box is just great. ( Don't tell me you haven't played Half-Life 2 before?  :o )

No I haven't played it, just the demo. I wasn't into FPS games around the time it was released, more like Real Time Strategy games like Command and Conquer and Age of Empires. I'm considering buying Starcraft 2, but it's still fairly expensive even after all this time.

I can't wait for half-life 3 though. I don't know when/if it's coming out, but if it is, it'll probably be revolutionary. I'm hoping it'll be on an entirely new engine, just like half-life 2, and be made for the PC, utilizing the rendering power of the PC to its full potential, and be the most visually stunning and realistic looking game to date.
Wall whore.

Loke

Arghantyl

The last i've played was Magic:Duel of Planewalkers (1998) based from the fameous card game Magic : the gathering.
I'm pretty sick because 2011/12 versions are just shitty.

There's a lot of free good old games dowloadable and i prefer largely strategy/gestion games.
I've a very good list for those who are interseted.
Another day,another challenge.

Micky C

Well, I just finished Half life 2, as well as episode 1 and 2, and I don't think I need to explain how good it was  :D

At first, I didn't really get into it, because it felt like Gordon was running away from the combine, which didn't really appeal to me, but once the tables started to turn and Gordon was dealing direct, fatal attacks, and the resistance started dealing some real blows, it became much better. Parts of it felt a lot like portal (I'd heard that it took resources from HL 2 and now I see why), which I really liked. And I liked episodes 1 and 2 more than the original game because I felt like they had a more focused plot, and it dived right into the action and puzzle solving.

Episode 1 was probably my favourite. I still have the feeling that DNF tried to be a HL 2, except with shitty cod and halo influences, except HL2 had so many advancements and innovations that DNF didn't even try to implement, which is very disappointing. Also, I'd say overall the graphics of HL2 are around that of DNF. Even if a lot of the textures aren't super high res, it's obvious that they look exactly how they're meant to look, and therefore they look really good.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Welcome to the Half-Life 2 universe, Micky :)

Now head on over to Planet Phillip and download user made maps/addons. Check out the  "Hall of fame" section  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Mister Sinister

I recently played VVVVVV,The Binding Of Isaac and Quake II
VVVVVV is damn good game! I really liked that old-school style of game and I got 14 out of 20 trinkets so far :)
The Binding Of Isaac is great too! Maybe it's not as hardcore as Super Meat Boy was,but it's a good game and everybody should check it out!
Quake II seems overrated to me. I can't understand why so much people think that it is the best Quake ever made. For me Quake I is much more better than it's sequel.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Loke

Played through Water, a TC for Half-Life 2, yesterday. Except for some bugs I really enjoyed it. Nice to see some original content in the midst of all these otherwise generic SP mods.

MSandt

Quote from: Mister Sinister on  24 February 2012, 08:58:06
Quake II seems overrated to me. I can't understand why so much people think that it is the best Quake ever made. For me Quake I is much more better than it's sequel.

Did you play it for the first time? It was very impressive back in 1998. The maps had a strong sense of progression instead of being just a random collection of maps like in Doom, Duke3D, Quake etc. The objectives also added to a sense of purpose. And of course the graphics were stunning.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

High Treason

Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with Mister Sinister here, I'm not a Quake fan anyway, but Quake II is the only one I actually switched off and never completed, I still have it in the big box and it's only been taken out of there once, even the seal looks like new because it's glued itself back on over the past decade or so.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Quote from: Puritan on  24 February 2012, 08:20:54
Welcome to the Half-Life 2 universe, Micky :)

Whoa, I barely have enough time for Duke 3D, I can't afford to dive into Half-Life too  :P

Quote from: MSandt on  25 February 2012, 00:04:09
Quote from: Mister Sinister on  24 February 2012, 08:58:06

Did you play it for the first time? It was very impressive back in 1998. The maps had a strong sense of progression instead of being just a random collection of maps like in Doom, Duke3D, Quake etc. The objectives also added to a sense of purpose. And of course the graphics were stunning.

I played Quake 2 for the first time only a few years ago, with the original executable (can't believe it still works), and I quite enjoyed it. Like Mikko said it has a great sense of progression. I disagree that the Duke 3D maps lack a sense of progression, the starts and ends of a lot of the maps kind of link together in many cases, although there is a bit of "where the hell am I ultimately going and why am I going there?" which is vaguely answered by "save the babes, and kill the big aliens in charge to end the invasion."

Although the randomness and unrelatableness of maps in the original Quake and Dooms is why I could never finish them. I think the furthest I got was finishing the first episode of Quake and Doom 1. They had that "once you've played one map you've played them all" kind of feel IMO.
Wall whore.

Mister Sinister

Quote from: MSandt on  25 February 2012, 00:04:09

I replayed it for second time. IMO gameplay is quite boring and lacks something. As for objectives - SiN also had objectives and worked great,but in Quake II they don't really fit.
As for visuals graphics are great,but level design is bland and boring imo. Everywhere I go I see the same yellow palette and boxes,boxes,boxes,boxes.
I'm still enjoying it,but I don't think Quake II is better than it's predecessor.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!