TROR discussion thread

Started by Micky C, 21 December 2011, 01:26:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

This is a mapping forum, and as people are starting to get comfortable with TROR, they might want to extend themselves (no pun intended) and try more complicated constructions, some people might need help with that, or other people might be starting to learn to use the feature for the first time. Either way, this is the place to discuss TROR or ask for help about something TROR related.

To get people started, here are the key combinations specific to TROR, copied from the wiki:

Quote2D mode
E+CTRL sector extension prompt (sectors to extend must be highlighted) / make sandwich [needs better explanation]
A+CTRL toggle auto-grayout of non-extended sectors
J+CTRL TROR-join sectors. The selection must consist of the two sets of sectors you wish to join.
U+CTRL Clear extension: delete the bunch (i.e. ceiling-floor connection) of the aimed-at sector's floor
PGUP/PGDN Change 'player' height in discrete steps in order to go through the different levels
TAB+CTRL Display one currently aimed at sector (of potentially many that lie under the mouse crosshair)
HOME and END as modifiers to AltGr: select all sectors whose floor's/ceiling's bunchnum equal the bunchnum of the aimed at sector (useful for further operations on whole bunches)

3D mode
I invisibility preview: toggle fake ROR texture on non-masked portals
LENTER+CTRL When aiming at an extended floor/ceiling, paste to all floors/ceilings of the bunch of the aimed at one
T, B and H work as with walls, though they set/toggle the bits only on one side

The following information talk about additional modifiers which allow more complicated sector selection, which can potentially help you easily and quickly make some funky TROR. These have already been mentioned in my fast mapping guide, so if you're familiar with them, there's no reason to do so again.

• ' (which means select additional sector(s)), and ; (which means deselect additional sector(s)). These are used when you want to highlight extra sectors, or unhighlight some sectors after some sectors have already been highlighted, which means you don't have to highlight everything again. These buttons must be held down when alt is released to perform their function.

Another useful modifier for highlighting sectors is ctrl. If ctrl is held when alt is released, only the sector which the mouse cursor is pointed at will be selected. This makes highlighting individual sectors much easier. Just point and click so to speak. This can be used in combination with the other modifiers I mentioned above to individually select or deselect individual sectors in addition to those already selected. All this has allowed me to easily and quickly do some funky TROR.

And finally, the best way to learn how TROR works and what it's capable of is to experiment. That's how I learnt to use it. Set up some test rooms and try stuff out, think to yourself "I wonder how I could pull this off" and try to do it, or "what happens if I do this" and observe the result. You might hit some dead ends at first, but once you've figured it out, it'll become section nature and you'll be confused why others don't get it (no offense)   :P
Wall whore.

Arghantyl

When i try to import a tror map,my eduke crash and mapster do not want to run it.
Any explanations ?
Can you Export more tror maps to try ?
Another day,another challenge.

Micky C

Sounds like you're using an older version of eduke32; only newer versions of the program support TROR. Try using this copy (it's the latest as of this post): http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/20111225-2211/
Wall whore.

Micky C

Except for TROR scissoring, which is complicated to explain and most people wouldn't use it anyway, the TROR mapping guide for the wiki has been finished. There's now a lot of information on TROR in one place: example methods, terminology, key combinations, limitations and workarounds etc..

Hopefully it can get some more people into TROR: http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/True_Room_Over_Room_Mapping_Guide
Wall whore.

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  06 April 2012, 03:03:56
the TROR mapping guide for the wiki has been finished. T

Why do I have the feeling that the fat lady haven't sung yet?  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

I´m giving it a read for the sake of understanding what it´s all about. First half of the first page called my attention: Side view (orthographic view) mode. Never heard of such a term talking of perspective, should not be called isometric view?

EDIT: another nitpick, before the edit button is disabled... in the 16 years i have been using PCs when a manual reads a key combination it puts the alt, shift or ctrl key first and then the letter key, in this fashion: Ctrl+E. Well in the wiki most shortcuts are written like E+Ctrl. I´d suggest, for the cleanligless of the article, to change that.

Micky C

Isometric is a very specific term where the angle between the axes is 120 degrees. In mapster, you can look at it from any angle and parallel lines will always be parallel to each other, as opposed to proper 3D view where parallel lines appear to become closer and closer together as they go off to infinity.

What are you thinking of changing to what? I prefer the ctrl/alt/shift being first, so that's how I wrote it, but I copied most of the section on the key combinations from the proper key mapster32 key combination page so that people wouldn't have to keep jumping around. Of course anyone's welcome to make changes to it, that's why it's a wiki.

The only other thing I'll probably add to it is TROR scissoring, but it's one of those things where people need to have a good understanding of TROR first, and by that stage, they'll probably figure it out on their own, so I'm in no rush to do it considering how much work I have at the moment  :-\
Wall whore.

Gambini

QuoteWhat are you thinking of changing to what?

Quote2D modeE+CTRL sector extension prompt (sectors to extend must be highlighted)
E+CTRL make sandwich [needs better explanation]
E+CTRL punch loop through extension (loop points must be highlighted, e.g. with RSHIFT+LCTRL)

A+CTRL toggle auto-grayout of non-extended sectors
J+CTRL TROR-join sectors. The selection must consist of the two sets of sectors you wish to join.
U+CTRL Clear extension: delete the bunch (i.e. ceiling-floor connection) of the aimed-at sector's floor
PGUP/PGDN Change 'player' height in discrete steps in order to go through the different levels
TAB+CTRL Display one currently aimed at sector (of potentially many that lie under the mouse crosshair)
HOME and END as modifiers to AltGr: select all sectors whose floor's/ceiling's bunchnum equal the bunchnum of the aimed at sector (useful for further operations on whole bunches)

I use to contribute to VDC Wiki. But I would not put my dirty hands in something I have no idea of how it works, even for that small polishment.

Micky C

Wall whore.

Gambini

Now that i see it mmmh i think i prefer the old one :P

:P = to not taken seriously

Micky C

Thank you for the explanation. For some reason I can never tell when it's sarcasm with you Gambini  ???
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Yeah it's hard to say whether or not he's joking :D whether it's a bear or a dog lol

Gambini

eh don´t mock me! I´m still waiting for that voice overhaul!  >:(

MikeNorvak

You're right. I haven't forgot about it, it is on a large to-do-list that have invaded me these weeks :S

High Treason

I've been trying to learn how to use this since not long after it's implementation, still can't get my head around it, still prefer the system in Blood.

On the other hand, I've decided I really need to use this feature now and am curious as to wether it is possible to construct four separate layers, in this case, Basement - Ground Floor - First Floor - Roof, seperately and connect them later?

You know, they way every other system worked. I honestly can not work with this thing if I have to connect stacks first, as soon as I finish one floor of the building it becomes impossible to even draw lines for the floor above, on top of that the editor loves adding any sectors I make to a completely random layer instead of where I want them to be and I then can not delete them for some reason, but if this is the way it has to be done I'm probably going to have to make an even bigger dent in performance and then spend months writing code regarding teleporters and screwing with my designs to prevent the player looking at things where there should be another floor. If you want examples of what I am trying to acieve I can provide screen shots.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]