News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

What is your own worst map(s)?

Started by Micky C, 23 December 2011, 00:11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Could someone hack the repository to try to gain access? I don't know anything about hacking, but I don't think anyone will complain if it did happen.
Wall whore.

Gambini

It would be easier to clonate it in another site and add a forum including the old forum as database. Pretty much what TX did once but with mod access. I think everybody sees it unethical and so avoids to talk about it, but I'm confident nobody would get hurt/offended by such an epic rescue.

Supertanker

I have a 320GB external hard drive, free time at work, and a 20mbit line to the outside world. I'll be nice and throttle my bandwidth though. That will get us all the maps, utilities, screenshots, etc in the repo (even forum posts) but not the database itself.

However, it would make good archive material and a basis for more maps.

By the by, have you considered duke4.net hosting? It would mean less worrying about disk space and bandwidth.

Puritan

Quote from: Supertanker on  17 January 2012, 06:45:43
I have a 320GB external hard drive, free time at work, and a 20mbit line to the outside world. I'll be nice and throttle my bandwidth though. That will get us all the maps, utilities, screenshots, etc in the repo (even forum posts) but not the database itself.

This site would sort of replace DNR so why bother about illegal actions?

Quote from: Supertanker on  17 January 2012, 06:45:43

By the by, have you considered duke4.net hosting? It would mean less worrying about disk space and bandwidth.

Nope. This site is independent and standing on it's own legs.
Disc space and bandwidth isn't a problem as long as we stick to DN3D maps/mods. TC's is not our goal anyways.  ;)
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Supertanker

I'm not sure what you mean by illegal actions. There's certainly nothing illegal about (responsibly) downloading the files that are publicly accessible. But I would never do anything illegal; I have a very strict code of ethics about such things.

I can't wait to see this site grow!

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  17 January 2012, 04:00:51
Could someone hack the repository to try to gain access? I don't know anything about hacking, but I don't think anyone will complain if it did happen.

Hacking is illegal in my country  ;)

Thank you for your support!
Forge and I are filling up the database map by map.
Our review churner, Forge, has a thread about what's on the hit list.
I will pick a map/author randomly in addition to Forge's list to increase the numbers of authors present in our database.
It will take quite some time to fill up the base. But we're working on it almost every day  :) 

Forge

I have every map and other misc. resource file from DN-R saved to my hard drive, backed up to a disk, and put together in a torrent and sent to Tx at Duke4.

The only thing that will be lost forever when DN-R finally expires is the forum.

As far as being hosted at Duke4;
This situation was brought up when DN-R was dying the first time and discussion was being tossed around about having it hosted at Duke4. Tx offered to host DN-R, but the forum would be locked and archived. Tx doesn't see the necessity of having two separate forums at one site, so he may offer to host this site, but the forum would have to be given up. 
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

That map wasn't so bad, but man the realistic running was a killer  :P
I played that map before I got into mapping, so if it came out today, I simply would have deleted/edited the dukeplus sprite that caused the RR and been on my merry instant-sprinting way.
Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  18 January 2012, 04:57:36
Sure this is my worst map : http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/N/nightshade/nightshade.html :P

lol, it's your only map

you need to make another when you're done with the project you're currently involved in

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Micky C on  18 January 2012, 07:30:49
That map wasn't so bad, but man the realistic running was a killer  :P
I played that map before I got into mapping, so if it came out today, I simply would have deleted/edited the dukeplus sprite that caused the RR and been on my merry instant-sprinting way.

Well the rr option was removed after a while, in Dukeplus there's the latest version, but it's dukeplus only. Anyway in the time I finished that map I hadn't internet conection, and I couldn't update it officially. So I think this server still hosts the very first version of the map, that doesn't bother me too much though. Anyway I'll find the latest version somewhere in my HD and post it here so the admins can upload it.

Quote from: Forge on  18 January 2012, 12:31:48
lol, it's your only map

I know, hence it's the worst :P It's like a goal, when I'll release another map it should be much better than this. What I don't like from this map is that it was made using several parts of other unfinished maps and that way seems a bit chaotic and inconsistent, some cramped areas that aren't good to move, I don't like the enemy placement either and the last boss area.

Forge

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  18 January 2012, 18:41:52
Well the rr option was removed after a while, in Dukeplus there's the latest version, but it's dukeplus only. Anyway in the time I finished that map I hadn't internet conection, and I couldn't update it officially. So I think this server still hosts the very first version of the map, that doesn't bother me too much though. Anyway I'll find the latest version somewhere in my HD and post it here so the admins can upload it.

The version on the server is the one you made official after beta-testing. It has both dukeplus and vanilla versions.

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Forge on  18 January 2012, 18:57:05
Quote from: MikeNorvak on  18 January 2012, 18:41:52

The version on the server is the one you made official after beta-testing. It has both dukeplus and vanilla versions.

Gonna check it.

EDIT: No, it seems this version is the same hosted at DNR, I'm gonna send it the latest version asap.

Forge

ah. I forgot that I didn't submit the map file. I only provided the write-up

this is the latest I have. the problem is the size. over 42 Mb

http://www.mediafire.com/?yw7i1bedh59lh78

if you have a newer, leaner version, we'd like to have it here

I'd also like a copy of this other map you hinted at, Sunstroke

Puritan

I'll upload a newer version if you like, Mike.
Is the version from the post above the final one?