What is your own worst map(s)?

Started by Micky C, 23 December 2011, 00:11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Puritan on  18 January 2012, 21:03:12
I'll upload a newer version if you like, Mike.

The one Forge posted is a pack with music and stuff. I have a newer version somewhere in my HD, please wait until I'll post it here Puritan ;)

About Sunstroke, well that map were almost finished, until I realized that it has much more potential as Gambini pointed me that out. I really want to remake it some time. If you want a copy I can send you a PM Forge.

MikeNorvak

Here's the latest version : http://www.mikenorvak.com/maps/NsA.rar

Could someone test it out? maybe I can improve some things, if someone is gonna play it is better to use vanilla duke.

Puritan

Ok, want me to wait with the upload until you eventually have done some tweaking?
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I can look at NSA tomorrow morning

edit: tbh, i like the original better. the gated forest with the blue key needs some sort of enemy, the last boss should be the cycloid emperor. i don't remember if it's like this in the original or not, but there's too much stuff blocking bullets (in the bar, in the lab, in the park, in the fenced street area) that's what makes things seem so crowded. you have to maneuver around everything to shoot aliens.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MikeNorvak

Well in fact I remember I removed some sprites due its crampedness, that's what I say it's my worst map lol.

BTW Check your message inbox.

The Commander

zykoveddy

Oh, I remember these. What was the reason of making them?
From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.

Maarten

My worst released map is easily The Big City, but I remember I was shocked when I got the review of Mikko with "only" 79 points, which was the lowest map at that time, along with the map "Prince".

It actually DOES have some parts that has some hints to be really nice, but they're just too sloppy, or empty and...the city wasn't very realistic either (Toxicity isn't that realistic either but it feels quite better balanced). I was really surprised what score DNR gave it...I really don´t think it´s that good, and MaaDS is better then The Big City in my eyes...
I have to admit I like to play it now and then tho, since the gameplay is OK :)

MaaDM2 is a OK Death Match map, but too much nonsense details which makes it look SLOPY. The spriteworks are inventive but didn't really succeed. It's a nice map to play in DM tho.
Boo!

Merlijn

For a noob map, The big city isn't actually that bad at all.  :) Yes, it has some very sloppy parts, but also some rather good looking stuff (the house was pretty good for instance). Also, the layout is pretty good.

(tbh I like Maads a bit more then Toxicity btw  :P)

Gambini

A map that i completely overlooked for a lot of years was X64 planet. I played it like a year ago or more but if im not wrong it also belongs to the Maarten´s first maps era?

Maarten

Quote from: Gambini on  18 February 2012, 04:31:29
A map that i completely overlooked for a lot of years was X64 planet. I played it like a year ago or more but if im not wrong it also belongs to the Maarten´s first maps era?

Lol...not at all. I understand what you're aiming at, but my SP maps are released in this order:
The big city, maads, toxicity, x64-2, abba :)

At the time when I was making x64-2 I wasn't really interested in making a "most detailled map with lots of hi-tech ever", and tried to make a weirdo planet with some very wierd experiments, which might even look a bit n00bish... personally I liked it, even it's clearly not my best design. It's all about the weird/crazy atmosphere I was aiming at. It's actually based alot on the Xen-type maps of half life.

EDIT: You just made me hungry of playing that old map of me again :P
Boo!

Gambini

It seems I forgot to put, in my previous post, that I loved X64planet. Freakest map ever  :)

QuoteIt's all about the weird/crazy atmosphere I was aiming at.

And you successed.

Gambini

Quote from: The Commander on  04 February 2012, 20:56:27
These are my worst maps IMO.

In this slideshow you can see some soldiers wearing berets. Commander or anybody else knows where are they from? I checked both Nam and WW2 but they are´nt there.

Forge

i recognize them, but i don't remember from whence they came. You might have to try the commander at duke4; he hasn't been active here since may 2012
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

Yeah I asked him on steam but he must be sleeping.

C´mon Scott! Think! Where they are from? I promise I´ll lend you my pimped italian car for driving it around the block!