Sports: Local, National, and World

Started by Forge, 27 December 2011, 21:29:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Despite losing 2 games in a row (first time they lost two games in a playoff series this year), or because of it, L.A. Kings crushed New Jersey last night 6 to 1 and won the Stanley Cup
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Seems like a Dutch exit in the European Football Championship ( Euro 2012 ).
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

It surely seems so. :( But our team kinda deserves it, they should be able to play much better then they do now. I'm not sure why they perform so poorly, very disappointing..

Puritan

Yeah, Holland used to be a team to be reckoned with  ;)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Well at least the second half was better, after the 2-1 Holland finally woke up. Too bad it was too little, too late.

Gambini

Football has become too even, to be worried by a loss.

Argentina lost a match with Venezuela this year, for first time in history... Argentina is considered one of the two most powerful teams in America and Venezuela the weakest.

However we won a friendly against Brazil by 4-3 last week. Messi did a hack trick.  :D

... It was a pretty lame match to be honest, both defenses were shameful.

Puritan

Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I hate my cheap television package. I don't get football or any international games. All I can see is basketball (hate it), baseball (soooo boring), and American football only because Seattle has professional teams in those sports. I barely even get hockey and that's only because Vancouver is right across the border and the have a professional team.

I like football, it's kinda like hockey on grass  ;D

MSandt

I hate reading about Russian fans behaving like, well, soccer hooligans. Don't they know their country is crap? Ruins the entire tournament (which I couldn't care less about in the first place).

Quote from: Forge on  12 June 2012, 14:57:19
Despite losing 2 games in a row (first time they lost two games in a playoff series this year), or because of it, L.A. Kings crushed New Jersey last night 6 to 1 and won the Stanley Cup

Yeah the I loved it, would've hated to see NJ win; they already have three Cups and LA getting it is good for hockey in California, kinda like the Gretzky trade.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Quote from: MSandt on  14 June 2012, 22:19:16
Yeah..., would've hated to see NJ win

ditto

Puritan

Olympic gold medal in womens handball: Norway!!
And this is the second olympic gold medal in a row for our team!!!
In addition to that: This team is the current champions of the Europe Championship and the world Champions!!!!

I'm into tears by now! A very small country with only 5 millions citicens.....
Time to celebrate! I can already hear the crowd in my small village out in the streets!

Cars are honking.......my God: I'm proud of our girls !!.....
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Yeah that was cool although I was initially rooting for the Danes but since they were out Norway was my favorite.

And that leaves Finland as the only (big) Nordic country without a gold medal. I was hoping for zero medals altogether but it just wouldn't happen. I'm rooting for the Americans in all games anyway.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

High Treason

A guy from my city won a gold in boxing, so we got a post box painted gold... supposedly, the paint is cream colored on that. And we also got a phone box outside the dole office painted gold;
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2843/kphbox.jpg

Maybe instead of buying paint they could now get their ass into gear and lay some fibre optic on my estate, I might go out and paint a box red - also the color of a rival telecoms provider - to celebrate the landing of the Mars Curiosity Rover to get the message accross.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

So, you thought the F1 guys are tough?
Or the 600 cc road racers?

Think again.
Here are the real maniacs of  motor sports  :o
Isle of Man race

325 km/h between trees, houses, villages, brick walls...etc.
How about a wheelie in 270 km/h?
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

The N.Y. Rangers and Anaheim are NHL playoff bound.

Anaheim is looking strong, the Rangers not so much

I'll be happy if N.Y. can make it past the first round