Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Loke

Triple post BO-YAH!

Anyway, played through RedDuke (The Long Road), Red 3 and Red 4 (skipped Red2 since I've played it so much in Attrition as well as Red5 because I played through it not long ago). It was an amazing experience going from the first in the series then to the third and lastly the fourth seeing how Merlijn developed during the years. RedDuke was what you'd expect with oversized rooms and limited shading but otherwise it was a solid fun experience throughout. Red3 had some great atmosphere and scripted sequences. Red4 was bloody amazing though and still to this day it looks really good especially the texturing and sprite work. The final few minutes of gameplay is really good when you have to navigate the ship upside down while it's being flooded. That last bit reminded me about the ship level from Redneck Rampage Rides Again although way less infuriating.  ;)

Also went through Leohotel earlier. Pretty impressive for a '97 map which took me way longer to complete than I'd anticipated though that was mostly due to the stupid button combinations (seriously, I've never understood the point with these -- some mappers seem to bloody incorporate them just to piss you off) and running around aimlessly not knowing what to do exactly. Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Forge

Quote from: Loke on  22 December 2011, 00:45:33
Triple post BO-YAH!

Denied.  8)

messed up your roll when I cleaned out the other thread
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

I've just replayed "Mincer City" by Henri K in order to have some screenshots for our upload here.
Man, this map is so friggin' cool!
Nice layout and lots of things to explore.
One of the best releases last year imo  :)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Hey Look, cool to see someone still playing my old red series! :) I've started a remake for red1 a few years ago, but never bothered to finish it.. It looked a lot better then the old red1 though.  :P

Yeah I was making some quick leaps in quality back then, mostly because I was shocked by the negative review Red1 got on MSDN haha.

Puritan

Hah...it would have been uber-cool to upload a remake of your Red 1  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

I could do that, but there's a lot of unfinished gameplay.. besides the map is about 75% done design-wise, so I - might - go back and finish it one of these days. ;) It would be a cool final present from me.. I just have very little spare time these days. :(

Forge

I liked the gameplay in redduke. Don't screw it up  ;)

Merlijn

Well, you basically should forget the premise of the original red1, since the remake was started from scratch and throws in a lot of different and additional ideas. It's still the same basic idea - you still start in a book shop, go through a lot of canyons, find the 'Rock' restaurant etc., but I couldn't resist expanding the map. No wonder my maps always take so long to finish.  :P

Forge

I kinda know how you feel. My first map wasn't very good (not even close to as good as redduke) and I re-furbished it. I fixed alot of stuff, but it's still basically the same

it's here if you find you have time to waste  :P
http://www.mediafire.com/?ycqzcgf9154y3

Puritan

Quote from: Merlijn on  22 December 2011, 22:36:01
... but I couldn't resist expanding the map. No wonder my maps always take so long to finish.  :P

That sounds familiar in a peculiar way  ;D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Quote from: Merlijn on  22 December 2011, 19:32:23
...I was shocked by the negative review Red1 got on MSDN haha.

Speaking of bad reviews on MSDN, my second map only got one more point than my first map (73 and 74 IIRC). It was a huge shock indeed. I disagreed with many of the claims in the review (one that's flat out wrong is that it was designed with polymer in mind, it wasn't, I just added it afterwards). So instead of over-relying on something like pretty lighting, it was simply bad to begin with  ;D (although I still think it's a good map minus the empty outdoor area).

I know what you mean by making leaps of quality, I've had to abandon several maps because even while I was still working on it, it no longer represented my current ability. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing actually.
Wall whore.

Forge

Biglight (lighthouse) by billyboy. Friggin' monstrous puzzle map, but with enough action to keep it interesting. Almost everything has a view screen or is labeled so it's not too hard to figure out if you're bad at, "what the hell just unlocked?", type maps.

Some of the most complex sector work I've ever seen. If this guy had tror and the large wall limit we have today.....

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  27 December 2011, 13:15:33

Some of the most complex sector work I've ever seen. If this guy had tror and the large wall limit we have today.....
Yes, no wonder why Billy Boy always has been one of my favourite mappers.

Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I've never played any of Billy Boy's maps, he was way before my time. Are there any recommendations?
Wall whore.