Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Died too many times. Too many unfair traps. Not my cup of tea.
But thank you very much for the submission(s)  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Would have scored closer to 90 if it weren't for all those face explosions, other various traps, and damaging environmental factors. It was a lot for one map. I don't recall Buenos Aires Explosive Remake even being that harsh.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

anvil

Quote from: Forge on  25 March 2018, 01:37:32
Another map with no template or watermark.

I don't recognize this map from anywhere, or ever remember playing it before.

It's also pretty hard. Lots of aliens and not much ammo or health, but it's doable.
It's nothing incredibly special. Decent tiered layout & average ambiance.
Probably a mid -midhigh 70's rated map.

[attachment removed]
I would give it a look if the attachment wasn't removed.

Forge

Quote from: anvil on  26 March 2018, 20:28:59
I would give it a look if the attachment wasn't removed.
If you recognize it or have a template, please update.

I found it. Its a map (StationX) from The Lost Duke Episode by Mark Hadley, from January 1997.

I don't believe it was ever intended to be released as a stand-alone map, so I won't be posting an opinion on it.

Forge

DukeMatch One
Randy Pitchford (DuvalMagic)
10 May 1996

Fast DukeMatch plays well in Spawn or No Spawn modes.  Underwater area.  Hidden goodies.  Has monsters and is very challenging in solo mode, but has no exit or final goal.  Just go for 100% kills.
Additional Credit to: Killa for first showing me how to do water before docs came out. DooM2 map 1 and the countless Map 1 spin offs that spawned this basic loop indoor/outdoor map design. 3D Realms for Duke3D.  Ken S. for the build engine. George Broussard for letting me whoomp him when I know he can just kick my ass.  Steven B. for setting me up with the beta testing gig.

Forge

Duke64HolidayDM
Duke64Nukem (kamikaze Nukem)
25 December 2014

Requires the Nuclear Winter expansion

DM VERSION This is a smaller project something I threw together in a few days so I know there will be things to nitpick and that's fine but just try to enjoy a little holiday spirit okay :D

Forge

Space Station 5
Jonah Bishop
14 January 1997

An EDF space station map.

A pretty typical map of this theme. Docking bays, control rooms, crews quarters, a reactor room, and bathrooms. A lot of bathrooms. Some rooms have rather odd designs, such as having free-standing walls in the middle of them for no reason, along with some other atypical choices in architecture and texturing. The level has a few highlights, but most of it seems a bit flat and under detailed.
Part of this impression is caused by the gameplay. It's mostly a button and switch hunting job with a few keys tossed in, but there is an inordinate amount of uneventful backtracking. One of two things happens, a switch is thrown then all the locked doors in the base have to be checked until the open one is found, or a viewscreen is given of a section of base on the other side of the map showing something that opened. Once you get there and throw another switch a view screen shows you something that opened back on the other side of the base in or near the area that you just came from. Repeat.
It's entertaining, until all the aliens are cleared out and there are no respawns. Duke gets lonely after awhile. He has lots of toys that make noise and nobody to play with. Occasionally a new area is entered and Duke finally gets to shoot something again. That's the highlight of the level. More fun than a one person game of hide-n-seek.

Overall I'd give it a 76

Puritan

Nice, gonna check it out asap.
Thank you, Forge
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

DUKCITY
Anevrisme (Aneurysm)
12 June 1998

A city styled map.

The aliens have landed a drop-ship on the roof of an office building in the downtown section of a city and have started a campaign of destruction, razing the metropolis to the ground. Several buildings have already been blown apart and set ablaze, it's up to Duke to get in there and stomp out the invasion.
A decent looking level in the classic style of the first Duke episode. This is slightly more detailed, has an intricate layout, and is more structured architecturally, but the ambiance is similar in that it is primarily set by good lighting and shading contrasts, and a solid selection of complimentary textures.
The game play is pretty hard. Aliens, aliens everywhere, and barely a weapon or health pack to use. The map is an open world and allows Duke to go pretty much where he pleases; especially if one of the jetpacks is located early on. With this allowance it's pretty random on what supplies will be found, but the priority should be to find a weapon, because with the amount of aliens and respawns in this map, the pistol won't last long or get the player very far. The second priority is to find a couple healing items and note their locations. Use them very sparingly and only when desperate since there are very few to be had.
There are no puzzles, it's only a matter of time and exploration until the rooftop with the drop-ship is reached. Make sure you're well prepared. More fun than removing a band-aid.

Overall I'd give it an 83

Puritan

^ A classic styled map it is.
Had a fun time on this one. Quite hard actually  :D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Bocian
by Bocian
1 August 1996

An EDF orbital docking station.

The map is separated into two individual space docks that are connected by scaffolding, and also via a small shuttle sled. The layout is interesting, the lighting effects and the shading are well done, but the blocky architecture, lack of detailing or trimwork in most places, and the absence of very many sounds makes the ambiance feel flat and not very immersive.
The floor-plan is well made, just not well executed. The premise is a key card hunt and there's an abnormal amount of backtracking. Repeatedly uneventful backtracking, which is the worst kind of backtracking. This further dulls the experience. It's nice to explore and engage enemies upon initially entering areas, but after all the aliens are gone, there's nothing to do but walk around.  It has potential; some respawns, and just a bit more detailing to take the edge off of the blockier and emptier locations would have made a huge difference. More fun than a vacuum tube.

Overall I'd give it a 71

Forge

Duke's Day Off
Dennis Collins (StarCraftZergling)

An earth city styled map.

Duke is hanging out in a studio conference room when aliens decide to attack. He must make his way down to the street, across the central plaza, and up to the roof of an office building where their boss has set up its invasion point.
The map is very well constructed and detailed. The layout and design flow smoothly and there are a lot of ventilation shafts providing alternate routes if Duke wants to get the drop on some of the enemies. The texturing combinations along with some very strong contrasts in the lighting and shading provide nice depth and immersion into the environment. The only areas of contention are that some of the offices and rooms in a few places can be a bit cramped with all the objects in them, and a lot of the areas are beyond just gloomy, they are quite dark and arduous to navigate.
This level is very difficult. There's enough firepower, but there are some sections with a lot of tough enemies, several ambushes, some cramped rooms with difficult aliens right in the player's face, and quite a few instances of not even being able to see the enemy combatants because the section they're in is so dark. All of this is challenging enough, but made more so since there's an inadequate amount of healing items provided in order to keep up with all the inevitable acquired damage. More fun than gluing your eyes shut.

Overall I'd give it an 84

Puritan

^ Thanks a lot, Forge.
This map is deserving a desent point of view  :)

Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Fly DukeAir
Neil Munday (Punisher)
7 October 1996

An airport styled map.

The airliner Duke is a passenger on is shot down as it's making its approaching to an airport, causing it to collide with a terminal. Duke has to exit the remains of the craft, climb through the wreckage, and deal with the aliens that have taken over the facility.
It's an okay looking level; nothing too eye-catching, nothing too sloppy. There are some simple mistakes with sizing and texturing, and shading can be a bit sporadic, but generally it's put together fairly well. A little more detailing and a bit more of a variety in texture usage could have really made the level stand out, but as it is, it's adequate enough to get by on.
Game play is a key card hunt. The layout is mostly linear with some variance provided in the floor-plan to explore around in, but it's not too complex or difficult to figure out. Finding the yellow card can be a bit tricky though. The wall texture of the door it's behind blends in with the adjacent walls. Only the markings on the floor really indicate that there's something at that location to investigate.
Battles with aliens is set up pretty logical and consistent. Enemies occupy certain areas and key locations, and respawns are present during most instances of backtracking. The only thing semi-annoying is the large amount of tiny slimer eggs. They're too small to shoot or boot, and by the time they're seen they're hatching, so pipebombs are less effective when dealing with them.
The player's experience will mostly be dictated by the amount of side-stashes that are found. If most of them are discovered, they'll be over-armed and near maxed on health. The fewer caches found, the more balanced the map is. Too few discovered and the map will be pretty difficult. More fun than lost luggage.

Overall I'd give it a 73

Forge

LA GUERRE DE L'ESPACE
Guy Lecocq
9 May 1997

An EDF space station styled map.

Duke is held prisoner and must break out and make his way to an escape pod. The layout of the map is three forks off of a main hub. The player enters the hub via one spoke from the prison cell and explores the other two in a sequential key car hunt. The level itself is pretty basic in construction, detailing, and architecture. Other than a few odd texture choices, that's pretty simple as well, but the shading is done well. A denser application of ambient sounds would have really boosted the atmosphere.
The puzzles fit with the appearance, as they are pretty straight forward and basic as well. Getting the blue keycard can be a bit tricky though. It's on a moving sector slotted behind a wall. Hitting a series of buttons and switches is supposed to bring it to an open davit where it can be collected. It doesn't quite go all the way to the end of the track, so some rubbing up and down against the wall where it stops will usually provide the necessary proximity to it in order for a successful collection.
What makes the level worth playing is the combat, it's a nice variety of weapons and aliens across a few different scenarios and settings. Ammunition is plentiful, and so are the enemies. More fun than fruitcake.

Overall I'd give it an 80