Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

CITYII
Jean-Marc Gruninger
22 August 1996

An island city.

Duke finds himself shipwrecked on an isolated portion of a city and must discover the source of all the aliens. The island and collection of skyscrapers takes up a couple blocks of real-estate and is lain out in one large loop. Along with the beach, alleys, and main street, the level consists primarily of three main buildings; an office high-rise, another that's under construction, and the third that's being renovated by the aliens into an ant-nest entrance covering an extensive underground lair.
The atmosphere is done fairly well and can draw the player in. Some locations are a bit sparse with detailing, and the outdoor areas suffer from lack of shading, but the texturing and architecture are done nicely and there are some applications of lighting and sound effects. The most immersive area of the map is the hive section which seems to have been the authors primary focus for the single player specific portion of the map. This area has the highest concentration of effects, texturing combinations, palette usage, and sector work.
Game play is mostly about wandering around collecting weapons and supplies, then shooting everything. A few keycards and some wall cracks were added in to provide direction and progress achievements, followed up by more healthy doses of alien murder thickly applied to cover up those distractions. More fun than smoking a cigar at a gas pump.

Overall I'd give it an 87
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

^Nice find, man  :)
Spent some 40 minutes with this one.
A challenging map it is. Especially when it picks up towards the end.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

EduBridges
EduCatOR
22 February 2014

This is a port of a classic Shadow Warrior user map, called Bridges by Taz_maniac. 'Complex network of bridges in a forest. It takes a little exploring to get used to but quite fun and challenging. Based on the famous mojodojo series.'

Forge

Dennis' level
Dennis Kupper
4 May 1998

A city block themed map.

A short and mostly open urban map located in the seedier part of town with the knocking shop, a bar, and a bit of a factory floor. There is also a short street section, and a few optional areas, like a couple of apartments and a sewer. Generally the atmosphere is passable. It has good shading and texturing, but the detailing and ambient sounds can be sporadic and spread a bit thin in some locations.
Nothing too complicated about the level; find a couple keys and kill the boss. Some of the optional areas reward the player, some don't. Just mind Duke's health and ammunition, there are a lot of weapons and supplies, but there are a lot of aliens that snipe and spawn. Nothing unfair, but it does take its toll after awhile and questions the wisdom of rushing headlong into unknown locations when you're not ready for a good fight. More fun than picking scabs.

Overall I'd give it an 81.

Puritan

^ Quite good map really, except from the boss ; he got trapped in a corner not able to "defend" himself  :D
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Dennis' level (Multiplayer)
Dennis Kupper
5 June 1998

special DM version of city3m.map (city3m originally was a SG level with DM-starting positions)

Forge

city suicide
David
12 January 2004

A city styled map.

Duke starts out on one side of town, must make his way through a subterranean factory and storage facility, some underground caverns, a meso-american cliff dwelling, then to the other side of town. All in order to grab a couple burgers then leave. Might as well kill some aliens along the way while he's at it.
A fairly decent looking level, it does have some sizing issues and a few cramped spots. Shading, as well as detailing, can be spotty, but the texturing and architecture are pretty solid. The author also makes use of some ambient sounds and sector effects to give the level some immersion and interaction.
The map is primarily a series of keys and locks. Nothing too complicated, just use a key, find the next key, seek out a few supply stashes, and move on to the next location. There's a good amount of firepower and aliens, and the healing items are spaced out enough to give a little bit of challenge. More fun than cleaning a grease trap.

Overall I'd give it an 85

Forge

FEARCITY
Dave Pitts
15 November 2004

A city styled map.

Aside from a couple texture choices and alignment issues, along with the need for a few more ambient sounds, the map is put together nicely with good solid shading and architecture. The elevation and scenery are constantly changing. Duke drops down shafts into sewers or underground tunnels, moves through streets, negotiates control rooms with machinery and a warehouse, swims through water pipes, and navigates through apartments. There are some minor logical flaws; like a second story garage with doors that would open to nothing, and a manhole dropping the player into a tunnel a block away, but otherwise it's designed fairly well.
The layout starts pretty linear, but in short order it becomes a maze of lifts, ventilation shafts, tunnels, rooms, and portals with doors sealing the player into moving in one direction. It can get quite confusing initially because of the number of directions the player can chose from, but once everything is properly explored out, the loops and forks become useful for getting from one location to the next in the most efficient way.
Game play is a key card hunt, and the cards are very well hidden. The difference between a smooth game and some serious frustration is a matter of stepping in the right sector to reveal the blue key, and noticing the obscure button to reveal the room the red key is located in. The blue key isn't that hard as there are supplies in the sector with the touchplate to lure the player onto it. The bloody-hand button can easily be passed by. The yellow card, stashed in a pillar near the hidden switch that raises the panel concealing it,  isn't necessary to finish the map, but does provide a couple extra supplies. More fun than sinus congestion.

Overall I'd give it an 82

Forge

FELICITY
Vandclash
6 February 2017

This is a recreation of the map FELICITY from Perfect Dark Nintendo 64. Enjoy!

Forge

The Lost City
Scott Haslam (Dagger)
17 November 1996

A subterranean temple ruin.

The level consists mostly of underground caves and tunnels, some man-made mine-shafts, others are natural with rivers and open grottos filled in by archaic stone and plaster buildings.
Visually it can be a bit flat; the textures blend together into dull greys and browns, there's very little trimwork or detailing, and shading is strong in some areas, but missing or lacking definition in others. The architecture is pretty solid though, the elevation varies quite a bit from all the rock climbing and river crossings, and there is a healthy application of ambient sounds, so it's not totally void of atmosphere.
Game play consists of following a linear path, finding and throwing switches that open new passages that lead deeper into the cave system, and dealing with the aliens lurking amoungst all the ruins. A few things need to be blown up that aren't immediately obvious, but otherwise it's a pretty straight forward shot from start to finish. More fun than a fedora.

Overall I'd give it an 81

Forge

MoreCity
Jason McLauchlin
17 March 1997

A city styled map.

It's a fairly large sized map that takes up a couple city blocks and has several buildings to explore. It consists of typical locations, like a fitness club, a parking garage, a furniture shop, a power station, and a few other various sites. It's construction is sporadic and inconsistent; it has blocky architecture with often over-sized objects, the shading is minimal in most locations, and the detailing is pretty sparse. It does have some pretty decent looking locations though, such as the bar, the mini-golf course, and the alien hive section.
The objective is to randomly wander around town looking for keys, locks, and a set of three combinations to get to the final lock. The aliens have set up barriers at multiple points in the street, and have barricaded themselves inside most of the buildings. The combat escalates quickly and is sustained throughout the majority of the level as the player has to take the town street by street, infiltrate each building, and shoot up the enemies within. Along the way be sure to keep an eye out for the pieces of solution to the nine button puzzle. After using the yellow key there's a lull in the action as Duke has to navigate a ventilation shaft maze. It's not hard, but not very exciting either. At the end of the twisty path the player is presented with an option for an easy exit, or a difficult one. The boss fight, while not challenging due to the amount of supplies given, is set up pretty nice. More fun than pickle juice.

Overall I'd give it a 78

Puritan

^I'm getting old...
Had some problems finding the initial keycard.
Aside from that; a pretty decent map from back in the days.

Thank you for your submissions  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Been playing a little bit, but the pace has seasonally slowed down, so I'm in a bit of a lull.
The stuff I have been sifting through isn't anything worth uploading. Lots of those huge open world maps with big empty rooms, random texturing, and no real direction or purpose. Just wander around until the exit is found.
I have a small backlog of opinions to post, but I'm almost out of those. I have four left. The lack of play & the lack of finding anything good is why there's been nothing but "city" maps lately.

My schedule over the next few weeks is only going to get more full with family coming in from out of state and the need to get yard and house maintenance done while the weather is favorable.

Forge

OUR CITY, THE FIRST CHAPTER
Richard Racicot and Eric Lancheres
15 October 1996

A city styled map.

A pretty large and detailed map; the only things really lacking are more consistent shading and ambient sounds, otherwise the atmosphere is fairly good. The texturing and architecture are well done from the city streets and alleys all the way to the subway line and into the restaurant and night club. Areas transition fairly well from one section to the next, so it feels like the player is actually moving through a town.
Game play is a key card and switch hunt. I'm not a big fan of having to kill fems to spawn keys, so there's that. The yellow key is hidden in some ventilation ducts. Either the player has to find the passage behind a masked wall hidden the street tunnel near the yellow lock, or figure out how to jump though the gap in a rotating vent tube. The trick is supposed to let the player step into the vent, hit the switch, and the duct rotates around and connects with another tube. The effect was broke with the version of eduke32 I used and it doesn't rotate when the player is standing in it. Just hit the switch, wait for it to rotate, then go jump through the gap between the vent and wall opening. Beware of the shock-damaging floor though. The red key is hidden behind a secret panel. A view-screen in a foyer down the hall from the nightclub and toy store will clue Duke to it's location. The freaking red lock is also hidden behind a faux pas stained glass masked wall nearby. Aside from all the hidden things needed to progress, the map is pretty action filled and has quite a large amount of combat. Some spawns and things the player stumbles into are kinda asinine and annoying, but the most of it is pretty straight forward and fair. Since there's tons of ammo and a lot of health, there's not too much Duke can't handle. More fun than corn.

Overall I'd give it an 80

Forge

Urban Takeover
James Duncan
27 January 1998

A city styled map.

The level appears to have a heavy influence from some of the original commercial maps. The movie theater from Hollywood Holocaust, the book store and apartments from Red Light District, and the garage and business office from Bank Roll. The detailing, architecture, texturing, and shading are all on par with those maps as well. To complete the immersive atmosphere there are also heavy doses of lighting effects, sound effects, and sector effects.
Game-play is a key and lock hunt. The map is very large, so it's a lot of wandering and exploring to find things. If you have a hard time finding the red key, try to remember where Duke started out and the surroundings in that location. The rest of the progression pieces are pretty much simply stumbled across.
The map is packed with enemies, so the action is nearly non-stop. Even after clearing the streets, they get repopulated with aliens after entering primary locations within the buildings. Good thing the arsenal is stacked, the ammo is stocked, and health plentiful. More fun than ham and cheese.

Overall I'd give it an 87