Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Well written opinion, sire.
Thanks a lot  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Club 97
YVES BRESSON
1 May 1997

This map wasn't made to be cool in single player mode, it was made to be as realistic and beautifull as possible, thus I had to use a lot of sprites and sectors and this makes the level very slow on most computers :( BUT I inserted a simplified version of the map so you can play (a bit) smoother :) The simplified Club97s version is really fun in DukeMatch ! Dan and I played it during 12 hours nonstop ! (damn, we're really crazy !)

There are two versions of the map. One with, and one without monsters. You can play the one with monsters in single-player if you wish; it's quite the fight, but there is no exit.

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

CAVERN
Rick Hager
9 September 1996

A city and subterranean cave system styled map.

The level is well detailed, constructed, and shaded; it's just that there's no real consistent theme. The map starts out in a city, then goes into a subway. From there is moves through underwater caves into a subterranean location with temple-esque structures, then further into a large lava filled cavern. Finally the map moves again above ground, but now it's in a Roman styled arena presumably in the middle of a city. It feels as if two maps were glued together in the middle. At least it keeps the scenery from becoming redundant, and it has aliens in it, so a little suspension of disbelief is going to be expected.
The game play centers around finding key cards. It's a pretty straight forward exercise that uses shrinker puzzles, teleporters, platforming, and ventilation shaft mazes. The aliens are well placed to provided good fire-fight engagements, and the supplies are adequate to maintain uptempo combat. Duke might run a bit short on ammo at the end if he doesn't find every secret stash and decides to take on all the enemies in the arena, but the exit button is always an option. More fun than rug burn.

Overall I'd give it an 82

Forge

Dukekef's krick
Kevin Cools (dukekef)
19 December 1999

An EDF missile base and orbital station.

The construction and design are a bit primitive in this map. There are over-sizing issues, cramped rooms, doors with odd textures which make it difficult to identify them as doors, sporatic themes such as an apartment building styled location on a space station, underwater transitions that squish the player, buttons that either do unknown actions or just raise a bit of floor for no apparent reason, odd door puzzles that have haphazard solutions, and sporatic detailing with next to no shading. The basics are there; ambient sounds, some architectural trimwork, selective texturing, sector effects, decent alien to supply ratio, and a sense of progression, but it lacks the consistancy and fine tuning it takes to make a good atmosphere. Even the ending feels abrubt and flat.
The level is primarily a button and key mission with an odd multi-door puzzle thrown in. Most buttons unlock nearby doors. Some buttons do useless things, or things that are not immediately obvious. Just hit them and wait for the satisfying beep or unlocked message, then go hunt down the triggered event. More fun than dairy creamer.

Overall I'd give it a 65

Forge

doome1m3
Dennis Collins (StarCraftZerg)
7 July 2014

The 3rd level of Doom's episode 1: Knee Deep in the Dead.

An industrial-military styled map. The map consists of several control rooms, a couple pools of toxic waste, and numerous stairways and corridors. The texturing is done quite well, but the shading and detailing are pretty minimalist. Combined with only a few ambient sounds, the atmosphere is a bit flat, but that's par for early Doom.
Find a couple switches, a key card, and lots of shooting. There's not a lot of weaponry outside of what's found in the numerous secrets, but there's plenty of ammo to run-and-gun. Aside from the hidden rooms and few side-quest passages, there's also a secret-level exit. More fun than rug burn.

Overall I'd give it an 83

Puritan

^Quite a slaughterfest on "Come get some"  :D
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Castle
HoldYourCorpses
4 April 2014

A medieval themed map.

Mostly the small dungeon and outdoor sections are castle-esque. The rest of the map is nondescript mazes and puzzles. There isn't a whole lot to look at. The base architecture is decent enough, but the texturing is done in large brush-strokes making sections look flat and monochrome. There's next to no shading, detailing, or anything else aside from the rain outdoors to give any atmosphere.
The map is primarily about solving puzzles. A few chess-board styled matching the solution-key to the squares navigation type of puzzles, and shoot-the-rockets-through-the-right-teleporter-to-blow-up-a-wall-crack-in-another-room kind of challenges. The puzzles can be messed up, and some will insta-kill the player if they make an egregious error, so it's probably wise to save after completing each riddle.
There are a few free-range aliens hanging around, but most will spawn if the player makes a mistake, or is forced into a certain situation. Nothing too extreme since Duke is loaded with enough firepower to take down a small army. Projectiles are mostly for puzzle-solving, but there are enough rounds to make up for mistakes, mis-fires, and alien splatter. More fun than sokoban.

Overall I'd give it a 76

Forge

ClubMuleNR
Noldor Ranzo
14 January 2015

This is a map which NR got from some player back in Kali times. It's a rave/disco club with a psychedelic theme. NR adapted the map to enhance the DM experience.

Forge

Caver
Widowmaker
13 August 2000

Designed for siege.  Get to the control room first and use the booby trap switches to keep your opponent hopping around.

Forge

Conference Center
One Man Army
16 December 2017

The interior of a conference center styled building.

Other than a few office like rooms and the reception area, the level is a series of conference rooms and small auditoriums connected via several hallways and an extensive ventilation shaft system. The texturing and shading are good, while the detailing and architecture are pretty basic. Ambient sounds and lighting effects are sorely missed in this kind of map and would have really boosted the atmosphere.
The premise is a key card hunt. The first key unlocks multiple rooms and it's a matter of wandering around until the next key is found. This key also unlocks another set of rooms that have to be randomly explored until a specific ventilation shaft is located that lets on to the final key. Basically wander around and shoot stuff. The weapon selection and ammo supply are pretty stingy. Health is also a bit rare. Between those aspects and an annoying behind-the-back-spawn in a small room; it's what gives the map some challenge. More fun than a splinter.

Overall I'd give it a 78

Forge

Doom2M1
R. Bullard (Boss M.C.)
22 March 1998

A remake of Level 1 from Doom 2.

The map stays true to the original layout and enemy placement, but it does have a couple extra secrets added. The texturing is done well and some palette and lighting effects were implemented, but the shading is sporadic and there could have used sounds to enhance the atmosphere. It gets by on what it does have, though.
Game play is moving from start to finish and shooting everything. Since it's a pretty short map, it can be finished quite quickly if all the switch-throwing and doubling back to grab equipment is skipped. Quite a bit of additional supplies were added to enhance the Dukematch play, but they weren't paletted to only show up in Dukematch, so the firepower balance is pretty lopsided in favor of Duke. Especially if some of the stashes are accessed. More fun than fishing with tnt.

Overall I'd give it a 74

Forge

CASTLE
Alex (lemmy)
3 December 1997

No Healthpacks , so that you must freeze someone to get more health. Players: 4-8

Puritan

Sorry for the slow uploads these days...
I'm exhausted.
Working from 07:00 'til 21:00 each day.
First at work then at our house. We've started a major overhaul of the outside part of the house.
Everything is to be torn down and replaced with new stuff.
A friend of mine is a carpenter who's helping me out.

Some evenings I don't even have the strength to start the computer....just rolling onto the couch for a hour or so in front of the tv.

Thank you very much for your submissions, Scott. Much appreciated  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Handle your business and take care of yourself first.
There's no hurry, the internet and this 20+ year old game aren't going anywhere.

peace

Forge

LavaCaves
MerCurio
10 Apil 2017

An alien base constructed in the interior of an asteroid.

The map looks very nice, it's well detailed and the architecture is fairly intricate. The texturing combinations are matched up nicely and the visuals quite pleasing, About the only thing that could have used a bit more attention was increasing the amount of shading contrasts. That and application of ambient sounds.
Looks nice, plays mean. The arsenal, ammo, and health are very limited in this map, and it is packed with enemies. Tough enemies. This is one of those maps where every bullet and health-point counts. The shrinker is pretty much exclusively to be used on the multitudes of mini-battlelords, as there are no explosive weapons in single-player outside of a couple expander ammo pickups in a hidden stash. Use cover, aim true, and let aliens kill themselves, or each other, if the opportunity should arise. More fun than a soldering iron to the face.

Overall I'd give it an 83