Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Catacome
George Desreuisseau   
16 November 1997

I specially designed this level in order to trap your victim if he gets to greedy. Hint: force fields can be turned off an on from different spots! So bait him, trap him, then kill him at your leisure! Also there is tons of spots you can snipe him from if you are cunning. Hope you like it, have fun!

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

doome1m2
Dennis Collins (starcraftzerg)
28 June 2014

Map 2 of Doom's Knee Deep in the Dead episode

It an industrial-military styled map with some control rooms, toxic waste pools, and a lot of corridors and stairways. The texturing and shading are nice, but it being a Doom remake, the detailing is pretty minimal. There aren't very many sounds either, so the atmosphere is dependent on the visuals and layout.
Game play is mostly about shooting aliens with a key thrown in to slow the straight shot to the finish line. Lots of lifts, stairways, and side areas to explore and collect supplies from if you feel like deviating from the beaten path. More fun than an arrow to the knee.

Overall I'd give it an 82

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  04 September 2018, 16:25:13
doome1m2
Dennis Collins (starcraftzerg)
28 June 2014

Map 2 of Doom's Knee Deep in the Dead episode

It an industrial-military styled map with some control rooms, toxic waste pools, and a lot of corridors and stairways. The texturing and shading are nice, but it being a Doom remake, the detailing is pretty minimal. There aren't very many sounds either, so the atmosphere is dependent on the visuals and layout.
Game play is mostly about shooting aliens with a key thrown in to slow the straight shot to the finish line. Lots of lifts, stairways, and side areas to explore and collect supplies from if you feel like deviating from the beaten path. More fun than an arrow to the knee.

Overall I'd give it an 82

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8bi7uvqqpntirbi/doome1m2.zip/file

I must have been lucky......passed this one in 4 min 58 sec  :D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Palm Club
Laurent Sol (COOLSPY)
3 April 1997

Basically, this is a city map, with a bar, a cinema...Looks like the E1L1 in fact (The best deathmatch map in my opinion).I added many new ideas: check it by yourself !!! (Wanna play tennis?) There are many sniper spots, tons of details, and you can really elaborate your own tactics. (try to find as many as you can).

Forge

Castle War
Kodiak Bear
27 August 1996

A castle styled map.

Actually two opposing castles with the same layout and supplies as this is primarily intended as a Dukematch map, but it does have single player aspects added to it, such as aliens and an exit.
Architecturally and aesthetically its mediocre. The detailing is minimal, structuring is blocky with some over-sizing, texturing is okay but lacks trimwork, and it has almost no shading.
What the map does have is a decently set up progression with weapons and equipment that coincides with escalating firefights. While not much for puzzles, this level has some good combat scenarios; and with limited ammo, that means swapping around weapons quite a bit. More fun than musical chairs.

Overall I'd give it a 73

Forge

Another map I've played before, but can't remember who made it.
Recognize it?

-file removed

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  07 September 2018, 06:44:42
Another map I've played before, but can't remember who made it.
Recognize it?

Actually a quite good map. Had a hard time staying alive from time to time.
Seems to be from the 90's I think.
Unfortunately I can't help you any further.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

CAVES (VERSION 2)
John R. Leonard (KASAI)
20 July 1996

A subterranean alien hive.

This level is a hodge-podge of environments. A lot of it is underground with either terrestrial or alien cave systems. Those caves can be dry, or have lava, water, or some other ooze-slime substance running though them. There are also earth styled control rooms, industrial sections, brick and mortar areas with cells to hold prisoners right alongside alien high-tech rooms, alien machinery, and an odd assortment of temples. A few issues with over-sizing will be encountered, and an occasional mis-aligned or out of place texture, but it's mostly put together well with good shading, a few sounds, and just enough architecture and detailing to provide a decent atmosphere. Such as it is.
The objective is to find keys and locks. The layout is crazy. It's a maze of rooms, corridors, ramps, lifts, terraces, and shafts. Several rooms have multiple passages in and out of them. The navigation challenge is even more profound when the jetpak is located. Just pick a direction and go. With all the inter-connectivity, it's rare to find a dead-end. The trick is if you find a lock before you find the key that goes to it, try to remember how you got there.
The map is loaded with aliens. Ammo may be a bit stingy, but it has all the weapons it; just be prepared to switch up a lot. It's also loaded with health, so no worries. More fun than iodine.

Overall I'd give it a 77

Forge

Alien Ship
Robert Carter
18 July 1996

An EDF space station.

A pretty simple and basic map. Architecture is blocky, detailing is minimal, texturing is done by the buckets with almost no trimwork, there's no shading, and only a few sounds. Very bare bones, but it's put together cleanly and with minimal errors or issues. Just some odd texture choices and a space craft full of pigcops will raise an eyebrow.
Other than walking around inside a small portion of a starship, there's a little bit of simulated space walking using the scuba-gear and underwater method. Technically it works, but it looks silly when dead aliens "sink" to the "floor". Game play is mostly about shooting things with a shotgun, ala Doom style. That, and walking back and forth between locked doors, switches, and keys. The map is pretty small, but view-screens are still present, so not knowing which door unlocked isn't going to be confusing. There's more than enough ammo, so blast away.  More fun than trigger finger.

Overall I'd give it a 69

Forge

Duke Fan Club
Castor
17 May 1998

A gentleman's club styled resort.

Aesthetically it's a fairly simple map. The texturing is done in broad brushstrokes with minimal trim work, and detailing is scattered about in concentrated pockets. Shading is almost non-existent which probably hurts the atmosphere the most. If there were strong lighting contrasts and a few more sector effects, the rest of the minimalistic construction techniques could have been easier to overlook.
As simple as the layout is, which consists mostly of just a series of rooms, the gameplay is fairly decent. There are quite a few stashes and side passages interlaced into the mainframe of the floorplan which provide a good variety to the method the player moves around and approaches certain areas with heavier alien presence. There are several masked walls that have enemies behind them sniping at Duke, but it's pretty obvious where they are, and they hold good supplies to compensate for the trouble. Wander around, find keys, find locks, shoot baddies, and re-claim the club for Duke's fans. More fun that smacking your thumb with a hammer.

Overall I'd give it a 72

Forge

Duke Match Castle
Mike Jones (frodo)
19 June 1996

Let's see, only duke match, big level at least 3 or more people.  Use the jetpacks!

Forge

Rbdmcave
Kodiak Bear
11 July 1996

A subterranean map.

The map starts out with a bit of outdoor canyon and pool of water, but after blowing up a crack, it pretty much stays underground. There are two paths to choose from; an optional portion which consists of an underground nightclub that has a bunch of enemies and quite a large amount of supplies, or the path through a few mine-shafts that leads to the exit. The supplies along this path are more rare and the combat engagements are more up close and intense. It can be done, but it won't be as easy as it would with a buffed up arsenal, a stock of health, and a good supply of ammo.
The map has decent texturing, spotty shading, and the detailing and architecture are adequate enough to do the job, but it's a fairly simple and short map. Even shorter if you skip the supply collecting portion of it. More fun that canned cheese.

Overall I'd give it a 71

Forge

Doom Nukem
Scott McNutt
12 May 1996

I know that this is sacrilege, but since I have clocked so many hours playing Doom's E1M1 in DeathMatch, I decided to make the conversion to Duke Nukem 3D. Modifications include video cameras and moniters to see where your poor victim is trotting around at, try taking a swim in the pond to find some interesting goodies there, gawk at the beautiful dancers, I even added a tele from one side of the level to the other. It is set up for DukeMatch only and there are no monsters.

Forge

Downtown NY
Dana Kelly (The Flea)
29 July 1997

Downtown NY is exactly what it sounds like an downtown city block, complete with a bar/strip club, a gun shop, and an office building. Lots of sniper spots a few ticks and traps thrown in to make things fun. Dukematch of course.

Forge

Castle of the Damned
Daniel LĂ©onard
11 February 1998

A conversion of the second level of Quake

Basically the interior of a temple styled structure that's mostly corridors and a few small rooms. The base architecture and sprite platforms are well constructed, but the shading is done rather poorly. Some floor sprites are dark, while those right next to them are full-bright. Item and enemy placement on these platforms are also not done so well, as quite a few of them fall through the floor as soon as the player sees them.
Game play is pretty much just shooting. Shoot enemies. Shoot buttons. There are a couple of guns, lots of ammo, and lots of health. Walk the loop that circles back to the start point and find the key. The map ends as abruptly as this written opinion. More fun than .

Overall I'd give it a 71