Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MSandt

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  22 January 2012, 23:26:14
Routine by Perro Seco. A regular key hunting city map with some clever design and nice ideas (like that Nukebutton you have to lower in order to finish the level), it lacks shading and shadowing, and there aren't many ammo in the begining, afterwards it has a nice gameplay. I took me 16 min, maybe you want to review it and host it on this site.

Download link: http://www.dukespana.com/load.php?id=541

Thanks for the heads up! This was well worth a review: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotroutine.php
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Community Build Project 2

The first cbp made up of entirely new sections of maps made specifically for the project. Each section is still distinct as per author. Inconsistencies in design, flow, and gameplay still give the feeling of "stumbling" through the map. For all it's faults as an overall map, it's still enjoyable enough to give it a run through. The sections from the more seasoned mappers are definitely worth checking out.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

fbsp001

nice looking high-tech base map. strong trimwork and architecture. bit claustrophobic and ambiance could have been enhanced with stronger lighting/shading work. few tricks and puzzles.

fbsp002

classic style city map with strong shading for atmosphere. kinda simple and not much in prominent architecture or detailing. mostly about finding keys and killing lots of pigcops.

Forge

JFCBP1 & 2

first community build projects using the new higher build limits. Both are well designed and detailed for the most part. 1 still seems a little disjointed from one section to the next. 2 is smooth in its transitions from author to author; they stayed true to the theme and texture set

Puritan

Great work ;)
Uploaded to the server.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

still have cbp's 3,4,5, & 7 and the two Russian cbp's to do. i can do the dukeplus cbp as well if you want to host dukeplus maps

Puritan

^Oh yeah. Go ahead. DP maps are welcome  ;)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

cbp 7

a gloomy factory styled map. pretty linear & not very challenging for either puzzles or combat. the majority of the map stays true to the theme with only a few exceptions.

MSandt

Played my Brave New World. There are only a few things I'd change if I were to update it.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Merlijn

Quote from: Forge on  25 January 2012, 13:44:40
Community Build Project 2

The first cbp made up of entirely new sections of maps made specifically for the project. Each section is still distinct as per author. Inconsistencies in design, flow, and gameplay still give the feeling of "stumbling" through the map. For all it's faults as an overall map, it's still enjoyable enough to give it a run through. The sections from the more seasoned mappers are definitely worth checking out.

Although back then, most seasoned mappers weren't seasoned yet. ;) I remember playing it again a while ago and not being very impressed by my part (it's even before red3 IIRC).  :P
Of the first batch of CBP's (pre-JFCBP), I thought CBP5 was the best. That's the one taking place in a snowy, spooky city and it feels more cohesive then most of the others. The atmosphere is kinda like red3 on ice.  ;D

On-topic: I've replayed the entire Roch series now.. Roch4 is the turning point: that's where the series goes from 'good' to 'fucking awesome'. In terms of urban settings, roch 6 & 7 are my favorites. They both look like believable cities, and the concert hall in roch 7 is a fantastic piece of work.

Forge

Quote from: MSandt on  29 January 2012, 20:18:30
Played my Brave New World. There are only a few things I'd change if I were to update it.

That's been sitting in my que folder. Need to finish the cbp's, requests, and a few other maps for specific authors before I get to it

Quote from: Merlijn on  29 January 2012, 21:14:18
On-topic: I've replayed the entire Roch series now.. Roch4 is the turning point: that's where the series goes from 'good' to 'fucking awesome'. In terms of urban settings, roch 6 & 7 are my favorites. They both look like believable cities, and the concert hall in roch 7 is a fantastic piece of work.

Roch 2 had nice atmosphere, but Roch 4 is when it seems he stopped playing with tricks and started concentrating on the map as a whole. 6 & 7 are closely matched for game play, but the sector shading in 7 is more pronounced (especially indoor areas) giving the map slightly more depth. 8 has good game play, good atmosphere, and he shows his diversity by deviating from his usual urban environments to spaceship interior

Puritan

Played three maps in a row:
"Invasion of Aliran" by Matt da Mann.
"On Him Their Lives Depend" by Kevin Cools.
"Station Madness" by Igor Willems.

They are bit 'aged' but don't let it stop you from playing!
They're worth some 20-30 minutes of your time.  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Maarten

Quote from: Forge on  12 January 2012, 18:39:43
Quote from: Puritan on  12 January 2012, 18:19:10
Just replayed Maarten v. Oostrums ABBA.

Always been one of my favorites. This, Anarchy City, bobafett, fruit loops, red5... just to name a few

i guess it's just a nostalgia thing

You hit the nail on the head there.

I just replayed the whole red episode (played unfinished Redremake instead of Redduke/red1 tho).
What can say. Really nostalgia ..so much time did pass by already  :o
The second half of Red3 actually gave me creeps again :D
Red5 climax; one of the best ending IMO.
Boo!

Gambini

Stop promoting your brother dude!  ;D His maps are already well known around here!

BTW the last map i played by yours was the huge stream ImperiumĀ“s map. You have not lost the touch  8)

Micky C

I haven't actually played the Red series yet. I tried playing Red 1 once, but I didn't see anything overly special about it, so I didn't feel motivated to play the others, even though I hear they're much better.

I spotted a map on the front page, Enlighten the Darkness: Again by Quakis, and just by looking at the textures and sprites in the pictures, I would have bet my life that it was a WGR2 map. And then I would have died because apparently they were just custom textures. But the similarity is very striking. http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/E/enlight/enlight.php
Wall whore.