Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambini

Maybe because those textures were taken (as much for the map as for WGR2) from the same game?

You know the art, sounds and enemies in WGR2 is mostly ripped from Shadow Warrior Doom and Hexen. There were people doing that before too.

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Micky C on  02 February 2012, 02:46:34
I haven't actually played the Red series yet. I tried playing Red 1 once, but I didn't see anything overly special about it, so I didn't feel motivated to play the others, even though I hear they're much better.

I spotted a map on the front page, Enlighten the Darkness: Again by Quakis, and just by looking at the textures and sprites in the pictures, I would have bet my life that it was a WGR2 map. And then I would have died because apparently they were just custom textures. But the similarity is very striking. http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/E/enlight/enlight.php

Yeah remember the WGR2 refurbishing for that map was canceled, what I think is a shame since it worked very well like a SS invasion type map.

Merlijn

Quote from: Micky C on  02 February 2012, 02:46:34
I haven't actually played the Red series yet. I tried playing Red 1 once, but I didn't see anything overly special about it, so I didn't feel motivated to play the others, even though I hear they're much better.

Lol, that's by far the worst map of the series. I was a n00b back then and made about every single n00b mistake that I could possibly make with that map.  :P
If I'd ever release the series as a playable episode, red1 would be replaced by a completely new map (in fact, I was working on a remake a long time ago and it looked a LOT better. Never finished it though)

As an indicator: red1 scored 71 on MSDN (which was one of his lowest scores back then), red5 scored 99

Micky C

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  03 February 2012, 19:28:58
Yeah remember the WGR2 refurbishing for that map was canceled, what I think is a shame since it worked very well like a SS invasion type map.

Ah yeah I remember now, I played through it and it was pretty good. I think I might even have the refurbished map sitting around here somewhere. It's a real shame because it felt finished to me.

Quote from: Merlijn on  04 February 2012, 16:50:05
Lol, that's by far the worst map of the series. I was a n00b back then and made about every single n00b mistake that I could possibly make with that map.  :P
If I'd ever release the series as a playable episode, red1 would be replaced by a completely new map (in fact, I was working on a remake a long time ago and it looked a LOT better. Never finished it though)

As an indicator: red1 scored 71 on MSDN (which was one of his lowest scores back then), red5 scored 99

Wow, that's even lower than my first map  :o I'll take that as inspiration for the future  :)

Another reason I didn't play any of the others is because I got stuck in red 1 so I never finished it, and I was under the impression the series followed a story or something and that it's best to play them in order. IIRC I also found the map pretty hard. Perhaps I'll start off with red3 sometime.
Wall whore.

MSandt

Quote from: Micky C on  05 February 2012, 01:10:13
Perhaps I'll start off with red3 sometime.

No reason not to do it now!

Red 2 is not bad at all so you shouldn't miss it even if it doesn't quite have the kind of legendary status as the subsequent maps.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Merlijn

Played 'On him their lives depend 01' by Kevin Cools, I vaguely remembered it from years ago and the main page happened to have a direct link to the map.. Anyway, what's up with that beginning? I completely forgot about it, but having to fight several enforcers, turrets, a commander and what not with only my pistol was quite frustrating.. Not a good way to start a map.

Map looks very good, although it kinda lacks the richness and depth of the roch series.. Virus story seems tacked on and didn't add anything, but the name suggests it was supposed to be the first map of a series. Too bad the sequel never happened. Anyway, if you get past the beginning it's a solid and enjoyable map. And I know what 'het debiele restaurant' means, mwhahaha.  ;)

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  10 February 2012, 22:49:25
Played 'On him their lives depend 01' by Kevin Cools,

I got ripped on for the score i gave it back when i first played it. My review repeats what you said for the most part. I think the frustrating combat and annoying wtf just unlocked puzzles pissed me off, but it probably does deserve a little better than an 81.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

I guess people were still used to Mikko's scale back then; compared to his scores, 81 is very low. And I guess we were a bit more forgiving to gameplay flaws back then (most people on AMC and DN-R were mappers themselves, to most of them great design = great map heh)

A really good map has both good design and good gameplay of course.  :)

Loke

Played Area 69 yesterday. I missed this map back in those days and I'm glad I took the time to play it now. Really enjoyable, I liked the general snowy theme and non-linear layout. The custom ART textures fit well into the map and was used in a great way. It wasn't perfect though as the difficulty was way off the scale with a gazillion enemies roaming about with very scarce ammo and health supplies. Towards the end though it became less of an experience in frustration and more enjoyable. The commanders in extremely tight corridors with no way to dodge their rockets pissed me off though and so did the stupid button puzzle near the very end.

Also played Begin To Nowhere by Mikko. Interesting to see how he evolved over the years.

MSandt

Just noticed that it got a review here along with my brilliant Aliens map. Thanks for the extremely generous score :P
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Merlijn

Heh, I think 'Begin to nowhere' was one of the first maps I ever downloaded from MSDN. Just replayed it for fun; you surely evolved a lot since then heh. :)

Puritan

^He-he...you're right  :)
I'm actually having lots of fun when I play through all these old maps in order to take some screenshots.
I often remember the "mood" I was in at the time when I first played some of the maps.
Ah, those sweet memories.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Loke

Btw, thanks Forge for the Desert Storm review.  :-*

Forge

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

He couldĀ“ve been a little more generous with the rating though.  :o ::) ???