Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Why? If creating a level is concidered art, then mappers are artists. Making a user-map is a way to channel your creativity, so calling it art is a valid opinion. Regardless of the age of the game..
(for example: I wouldn't hesitate to call 'The wall' a work of art)

@ Forge: I think I still based the rating on the MSDN-scale back then.. So the rating means "not quite a hot map, but it's close and this mapper has potential" I could replay the level and try to adjust the rating according to this sites rating scale..

MSandt

Yeah mappers are of course artists, although I think what Met has a problem with is using the term because it's lame.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  23 March 2012, 17:35:29
Why? If creating a level is concidered art, then mappers are artists. Making a user-map is a way to channel your creativity, so calling it art is a valid opinion. Regardless of the age of the game..
(for example: I wouldn't hesitate to call 'The wall' a work of art)

@ Forge: I think I still based the rating on the MSDN-scale back then.. So the rating means "not quite a hot map, but it's close and this mapper has potential" I could replay the level and try to adjust the rating according to this sites rating scale..

if creativity = art then art = mapping

I personally think my map, 3:16, over rated. I'm not asking for a whole new review, maybe just a re-evaluation of the score. Up to you though, if you have the free time. If you decide to, please download the one from this site. It's updated (the biggest reasons are the sewer chute height was adjusted, so now you won't get squished when entering it & you can't screw up the barrel puzzle - if you're observant and notice what opens when the last conveyor switch is thrown).
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

Re-reviews are one thing but I'd recommend against re-evaluations. If you go down that path, you're gonna have to re-evaluate constantly.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Good point.

@merlijn okay, the map has been updated with bug fixes and adjustments of some of the sector work. If you have the time, would you please consider modifying the original review and score where necessary, as compared to the newer version of the level. If the score goes down, then I should have left well enough alone.

now it's not a score verification. It's a re-review for an updated version of the map.

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  23 March 2012, 19:35:32

now it's not a score verification. It's a re-review for an updated version of the map.

[Parkade alert]  ;D [/Parkade alert]
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

lol.

you need to give credit to the original update king.

All hail Gambini! Long live the King!

If my map has a flaw where the player could walk to the finish in 3 seconds, I wouldn't care. The only remote reason I would update the level is if I broke something unawares and made the map to where it couldn't be finished.

I'm merely interested in a second look from the original reviewer  ;) *a wink's as good as a nod to a blind bat*

Gambini

Quote from: methy on  23 March 2012, 14:04:20
Stop calling yourself an artist because you've made a couple of usermaps for a 15 years old game.
You're starting to make me think of DavoX.

I dont consider myself an artist, like a Picasso or such. But I do my modding/mapping for the sake of art. Art as the guys said, Is making something off your creativity. And that´s what I do. So in simple words if a map can be called art, I´m an artist because i´m a mapper.

However that post you answered to is strange. Yesterday (just like today) I was in a very bad mood. The stress I´m having at work is affecting the way express myself and is going to affect my health soon. I didn´t want to mean what it looks like. Having a place (even if its tacit) where people that shares a hobby can discuss their works/impressions/whatever is awesome.

Trooper Dan

Quote from: Gambini on  23 March 2012, 00:58:06
I still believe my best ideas and mapping moments came from that era though. This about feedback, opinions, persuasions, reviews, ratings; really impacts on the mind of an artist (if i can be called so) and in my case in a negative way.

I understand what you mean.  Henry Ford (the first mass producer of automobiles) once said, "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

Puritan

Quote from: Gambini on  24 March 2012, 01:01:56

However that post you answered to is strange. Yesterday (just like today) I was in a very bad mood. The stress I´m having at work is affecting the way express myself and is going to affect my health soon. I didn´t want to mean what it looks like. Having a place (even if its tacit) where people that shares a hobby can discuss their works/impressions/whatever is awesome.

Mmmmm.....most of us takes a toll of life.
But I like the direction of your tone, so to speak.

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Quote from: Forge on  23 March 2012, 19:35:32
Good point.

@merlijn okay, the map has been updated with bug fixes and adjustments of some of the sector work. If you have the time, would you please consider modifying the original review and score where necessary, as compared to the newer version of the level. If the score goes down, then I should have left well enough alone.

Ok here's your new review, I kept the rating the same because IMO it's the perfect rating for the map. I think this review is better then the old one. Feel free to replace it with this one.

Review: Duke 3_16

*please note: this is an updated version of the map. Since some points of my
original review don't apply anymore, I wrote a new one*

After a wild night (how the heck did that girl end up in his closet?), Duke tries to take a well-deserved nap, but of course there's no such thing as peace and quiet in Dukeworld. Soon, the sounds of explosions disturb the silence and an angry Duke grabs his weapons, ready to teach someone a few lessons about being a good neighbour. Naturally, the city has been invaded once again and as soon as he leaves the house, he's welcomed by a whole bunch of trigger-happy pigcops.

A medium sized city level and Forges first release. The outdoor scenery here is quite good, with a nice eye for detail and a convincing, ravaged look. The main steet area is complemented by some good looking unreachable scenery. This updated version also allows for some more exploration, which is definately an improvement. However, I would have liked some more variation in the shapes of the buildings; most of them are just big squares. Indoor design is less consistent; some areas look very good, while others still have a bland and unpolished look to them, especially compared to Forges later releases. Design wise, the power station is easily the weakest part of the map. Luckily, the map picks up after that.

Gameplay can be moderately challenging, especially if you didn't save some RPG ammo for the final battle. Still, there's nothing an average player can't handle here. The beginning might be a bit hard, with several pig cops sniping you from a distance. You better take cover before you're toast! The amount of health and ammo seemed to be just right, although I wouldn't mind finding some more RPG ammo. Also, the map throws some clever puzzles at you. There's one puzzle here that can be screwed up, but only if you don't pay any attention to your surroundings. This puzzle used to malfunction, but thanks to the update it now works without a problem.
Like you'd expect from a Duke map, the player will be rewarded for exploring; keep your eyes open for secret areas. The blander parts of the map hurt the gameplay a bit and make the map feel longer then it should be, but overall this is an enjoyable play and worth checking out.

Rating: 84

Puritan

Thanks, Merlijn  ;)
Review page updated.
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Started playing LR&WB yesterday. Just finished Khaki Space. Seriously, this is one of the most demanding maps ever. Took me nearly 40 minutes.

Forge

Thanks Merlijn, appreciate it.  8)

If you still find the map to be as high as an 84, then I respect your decision. With all your experience playing and mapping, I will not doubt your judgement.

Merlijn

No problem. :) And I might be an experienced mapper/player, but I'm not an experienced reviewer.  :P Anyway, I'm glad you accept my opinion.