News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Played "Urban Reclamation" by Reginukem.
Just a small walk down memory lane with some oldies for me today.
This little map took me about 12 minutes to finish.
A small city with a few aliens and some key card hunt.

Btw: Mikko, the link on MSDN to this map is broken  ;)
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

methy

Urban Reclamation by Reginukem.

Discovered this map through this site, a nice little surprise.

The map has got really good ideas in terms of gameplay layout, the way progression through the map goes. It's got one theme and plays around with it quite well.
Nice explosions, and nice cars as well.

However the map lacks in shading & texturing departments which prevents it from being a hit.
Gameplay is also somewhat lacking because there just isn't enough action for such huge areas; plus destroyed buildings and rooftops could call for some really interesting fights.

A shame because one day of polishing and the map could be twice as good.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

MSandt

Quote from: Puritan on  26 March 2012, 18:09:20

Btw: Mikko, the link on MSDN to this map is broken  ;)

Fixed now, thanks!
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

^^ Yeah, that was my thoughts too.
For example when I entered the destroyed rooftop and spotted the keycard I was expecting commanders or something protecting it.
Also the sewage system is calling for action, more locations...etc.

^ My pleasure,Mikko.  ;)

Merlijn

Played Qred by Quakis (a remake of red1). I was a bit surprised to see it scoring lower then the original, since design a lot better (especially indoor).. But after playing it, I can kinda see why. Lay-out feels a bit uninspired and as a whole, the map just feels unfinished. For example, I wonder why Quakis didn't put any enemies in the restaurant. Or why the house only had a few rooms (they looked better then the original, but in the original you could explore every single room on 2 floors)..

quakis

Honestly speaking, Qred was unfinished and rushed out of the door way too soon, especially with TSOF coming out a week later. There was so much more I wanted to add back then, including an actual interior for the concert hall and various other additional buildings in the area. When I look at it now, I feel it was a poor effort overall, but some people seem to enjoy it more than the original map. I'm not usually one for discussing ratings, but I think 71 is way too generous. :P

Forge

I think it'd be pretty neat if you completed what you wanted to do with Q-Red. It looked like it could have alot of potential, but it felt like it was left alone halfway through the build
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

Yeah, it does have potential to be much better. As I said, design is superior to the original. The fact that there's no interior for the concert hall was probably the most disappointing aspect of the map.

quakis

Although it could be neat to see that, at this point if I were to actually make any kind of update to Qred, I'd more than likely start it from scratch, because my mapping has improved considerably since then. And if I were to do that, it would probably be a better idea putting all that time and effort on a fresh, new map to be honest. ;)

Merlijn

Played Shuttle escape, the review was spot on. While the star wars references were very well done and well designed as well (the first view with the death star and the cruisers lingering in the background is pretty amazing, some of the best unreachable space scenery I've ever seen), many hallways and rooms just look boring and n00bish.. It's really baffling to me, seeing amazing and well crafted starships from star wars next to those ugly, undetailled and bland hallways. It's almost like 2 completely different authors made the map..

Also, the cell block has sloped walls that kill you (and at least half of your enemies), lol.

Still recommended for the well done star wars references and solid gameplay.

MSandt

Yeah that's exactly what I think every time I come across that map.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Played Doomcity by Pipeline again.
A very good city level it is. In my opinion, this level is far better than his "overrated" Hell station map  ;)

Micky C

The pictures definitely look good, I might have to give it a play through some time.
Wall whore.

Trooper Dan

Yeah that has always been my favorite Pipeline map.  My only complaint about it is that there is too much health and ammo.

Kevin Mooney

Just played Doomcity myself. I agree too much health/ammo (didn't use skill settings tho'), but definitely an old favourite. Well up there design-wise with the original maps.