Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

This topic is a must-have on any Duke Nukem forums!

Tell us about your last played map.
It would have been nice if you drop a few words about the map.
That could give others a boost to try the map themselves!

Go ahead and play!
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

I've replayed Gambinis: "It Lives" today.
I am still impressed about this map!
This is one of the best maps out there for sure, considering it's not a modification.

I will certainly upload this map here at Come Get Some very soon!
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Aye! It lives is one of best maps I've played. Some of the stuff Gambini pulled off without cons is amazing. Definitely one of my favorite mappers and a heavy influence on my style for detailing.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Loke

Need to play It Lives again. Sooo good.

Last map I played was one of my own. Don't know if I'll release it since it has barely any shooting focusing more on silly humor and TROR.

Merlijn

Yeah, It lives is one of the best user-maps ever, I aught to replay it one of these days.

I replayed the Imperium episode last week, I think all the testing has kinda spoiled it for me though.  :P I pretty much remembered every corner of every map. Level 4 is still my favorite.

@ Loke: silly humor belongs to Duke, why not release it? ;)

Loke

Quote from: Merlijn on  03 December 2011, 18:01:49
@ Loke: silly humor belongs to Duke, why not release it? ;)

Perhaps, still have a few things to work out though. :)

Puritan

Cool!

Let me know when you're ready and I'll be glad to host your map  ;)

Even though, it will still take some time until I'll have a searchable database of maps on this site.
But until then I will gladly upload it to the present site.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Loke

Thanks, shouldn't be too long before I'm finished... unless I'm being a lazy ass.  :(

EmericaSkater

Retaliation. Before that, Duke 12_12. They were both excellent :)
ANARCHY

Forge

CyberDuke by Eye del Cul

The premiss is that you're trapped inside a Unix operating system that's been infected with a virus. The virus is, of course, defending itself with aliens and it can be a pretty hectic battle in some spots to get them out.
It's an open map as far as moving from location to location is concerned, and after you enter your password at the su console and collect all the keys, it becomes very non-linear and you can go pretty much where ever you want.
The general feel of the map is supposed to simulate being inside a computer file system, so there's some interesting texture combos and alot of pastels. The layout is fairly simple and the architecture mostly blocky, but it is still well designed to simulate the environment of which the author intended to accomplish.

Interesting concept well executed, not too hard to navigate, with minimal detailing and trimming breaks the pastels can wear on the eyes,  but worth your time for some fun fire fights.

Texturing/Lighting-Shading:8/10
Sprite Work/Detailing:7/10
Ambiance: 9/10
Architecture/: 18/20
Layout: 18/20
Gameplay/Design: 28/30
Overall: 88/100

EmericaSkater

Here's a review for Retaliation I wrote just now...

MAP: RETALIATION

AT A GLANCE:

Loke delivers once more with this short, but enjoyable and INSANELY well-designed urban map. If you're expecting the same kind of focus on level-progression/gameplay that you got with Desert Storm, you may be in for a bit of a disapointment, but then again, you may not; there's a strong chance that you'll wind up getting mowed down by the negliglbe amount of enemies at least once because you were too busy gawking at the map's near-flawless level of detail.

THE GOOD:

Aesthetically speaking, I really don't think urban map design can get much better than Retaliation. There's VERY heavy emphasis on texturing and trimwork, but it never gets to the point of being excessive, as it's bled out between some well-designed spritework, and a few of DN3D's newer TROR tricks.
In terms of gameplay, the map doesn't really offer any surprises. There are only a handful of enemies, and their placement is pretty straight-forward, so don't expect much challenge. This is forgiveable if only for the fact that it doesn't appear to be the map's premise anyway, but it also serves as potential since this could be the picture-perfect introductory map to DN3D's newer users (should there ever be any). No chance of insurmountable difficulty, but design at its very best, and a decent showcasing of eDuke's newest features.

THE BAD:

It's short. Too short for the potential it has. Loke has invited other mappers to add onto it if they have the impetus/motivation to do so, but ability is the biggest obstacle for that; it would be very difficult for another person to expand Retaliation and still make its design look consistent with what Loke originally built. Mappers like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen, and even for a verteran mapper, trying to build something that would do Retaliation justice would be a pretty intimidating task.
Apart from this, Retaliation's only other shortcoming is a set of buggy ladders in a sewer sector that make getting around a bit of an awkward chore.

THE UGLY:

There is litterally nothing about this map, in terms of core-design, that wasn't executed remarkably so aesthetically speaking, Retaliation gets an A plus. Unfortunately, since it uses TROR, there are some glitches that drag on the map's visual appeal, but its nowhere near enough to outweigh the design.

Score: 90/100

If I do more reviews in the future, they'll probably be in this format.
ANARCHY

Puritan

Nice review, EmericaSkater ;)

Now, we only need 6 screenshots before an upload.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: EmericaSkater on  11 December 2011, 16:24:57
Here's a review for Retaliation I wrote just now...

If I do more reviews in the future, they'll probably be in this format.

Thank you, nicely done

I've done a couple in a similar format

Loke

Wow, thanks for that review, EmericaSkater. Great read. I liked how you built up the review with different sections differentiating the good from the bad and so on.

EmericaSkater

Took me a little longer than I planned since I was too busy swingin' my axe around, but here's the review for Extermination;

MAP: EXTERMINATION

AT A GLANCE:

An oldie, but a goodie. Extermination is a Pascal-styled map (in fact, the readme specifcally states that Pascal's work inspired it) that combines innovative level design, excellent texturing, and fast-paced, kickass gameplay. It has its occasional aggrivating points, but it all ties together nicely in the end.

THE GOOD:

Extermination is a solid experience, in every sense of the word. For the most part, it's a very well-designed urban map (with a few sewage/infested areas thrown in to spice it up) that has a good, logical flow. There's plenty of enemies to kill, and their placement, though sometimes frustrating, tends to be quite clever, forcing even a veteran Duker to stay on his toes. Ammo/health to enemy ratio is well-balanced, though I wound up running pretty thin towards the end of the map, and the majority of the progression involves keycard/button hunts, which everyone can appreciate.

THE BAD:

Cheap shots. Low-blows. Dirty tricks. Extermination has a not-staggeringly-high-but-still-extant number of random, illogical pitfalls, abrupt explosions in the face, and spring-up firefights that the player just can't reasonably prepare for. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional "pigcop around the corner that'll blow your face off if you're moving too fast" trap, that kind of stuff helps keep the player's reflexes on the up-and-up, but Extermination takes it a bit too far, and if you play this map, you'll probably wind up dying to one of these tricks at least once.

THE UGLY:

Extermination's look should appeal to everyone. It doesn't have a Retaliation-level of design that makes you drool just by looking at it, but it settles quite nicely at that still way-above-average Roch standard, and in fact, it could easily pass as part of the Roch series if one didn't know better. Texturing is easily this map's aesthetic strong suit, as it's done extremely well; textures are shifted, stretched and switched out at all the right places even in indoors areas, where trimwork tends to be lacking.
The only real bugaboo that Extermination has in terms of design is a serious lack of lighting fixtures. This is particularly bad in the sewers and the infected area towards the end of the map, but even in urban areas, Juha relied too much on that HANGLIGHT sprite for full-sized rooms, which just doesn't cut it from a rational standpoint.

Score: 93/100

ANARCHY