Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

methy

played Savior for the first time thanks to Forge http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/S/savior/savior.php

Fantastic map with a lot of surprises; maybe one of the best maps of year 1996.
The only downside is that some of the new art tiles stick out from the rest (like the skulls and that flat spaceship looking thingey)

took me 16mins and found 3/4 secrets
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

MSandt

Doesn't ring a bell (well, the name does) so I'm gonna have to take a look.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

The level has been hosted at DN-R since 2007. That's the downside to having huge repositories; maps disappear into obscurity unless they catch your attention when they're uploaded.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

I'm going through many of those maps I barely remember from back in the days.
I found "Winter" by Andrey Silantyev.
And I found it worthy 1 hour( :o ) of my time playing it again.
It is a huge level made for explorers since the map is far from linear.
But I liked it and gave it one of my "crap map" crap reviews and an upload.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Loke

Needle Time by Alias Conrad Coldwood and Beta Station by Kevin Slater. Both great maps. Beta Station was a pretty typical space themed map although disappointingly short and fairly easy while Needle Time was a pleasant surprise with some really good custom textures and great design. The gameplay wasn't anything out of the ordinary and somewhat on the easy side unfortunately. Doesn't seem like Coldwood released any more maps after this which is a bummer since he seemed to be a really good mapper overall.

methy

Quote from: Puritan on  09 August 2012, 21:44:49
I'm going through many of those maps I barely remember from back in the days.
I found "Winter" by Andrey Silantyev.
And I found it worthy 1 hour( :o ) of my time playing it again.
It is a huge level made for explorers since the map is far from linear.
But I liked it and gave it one of my "crap map" crap reviews and an upload.

You made a typo for the name of the map both on the name showing on the front page on the screenshot and on the url of the download link though

Edit : I've played it now. It's a solid 1997 release, huge, long, some good ideas, the winter theme is a nice change of feel for the typical Duke3D city stuffs. The only part of the map that sticks out is that one area with the arcade and the boxing center : layout both indoor and outdoor look bad and do not make sense for the most part. Otherwise a very enjoyable map, especially good for its time.

Quote from: Loke on  11 August 2012, 17:32:47
Needle Time was a pleasant surprise with some really good custom textures and great design. The gameplay wasn't anything out of the ordinary and somewhat on the easy side unfortunately. Doesn't seem like Coldwood released any more maps after this which is a bummer since he seemed to be a really good mapper overall.

I remember liking Needle Time a lot, for once I liked the extra textures
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

methy

Sewage by Allan Page. Still the amazing flawless classic I remembered it to be!

I also replayed Wild West and The Aztec Ruins by Peter Williams. Wild West is okay but some good ideas, but the lack of shading is the main issue.

The Aztec Ruins is still as great and I stand saying it's still his best map (above the more recent Pjsloth 1)

Gambini

You like desert maps? stay tunned because i´m about to share something very related to that.

Merlijn

I also played Sewage, very good map with great layout and some clever puzzles. I sometimes ran very low on health, but I guess that's my rusty skills showing up again.  :P Really liked the way the map ended as well, it's the perfect conclusion.

MSandt

Alan Page is one of the best old mappers, solid work throughout.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

David B.

Anyone remember Anslem by Robert Travis ?
That's not the last map I've played but it's one of the maps I like the most (BTW There is also a multiplayer version).
It's big, enjoyable, and the architecture is good enough.

And I see it's not on the maps listing... so maybe it would be fine to add this one.

David B.

Puritan

That's one of the classics.
I'll bet Forge got Anslem on his list  ;)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: David B. on  31 August 2012, 19:07:01
Anyone remember Anslem by Robert Travis ?
That's not the last map I've played but it's one of the maps I like the most (BTW There is also a multiplayer version).
It's big, enjoyable, and the architecture is good enough.

And I see it's not on the maps listing... so maybe it would be fine to add this one.

I have 250 maps in my todo list and this is one of them.

Feel free to try your hand at writing a review for it if you wish. (p.s. my method is not the standard, review and score it however you want)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

David B.

Here is my review suggested  :)

"

Anslem is a classic map based upon a majestic temple or castle enclosed in a large outdoor area.
It fully takes advantage of single player mode, but also offering all mutliplayer modes for a Coop / Deathmatch experience, despite being a tad bit larger for this purpose.

One could recognize the syle of the author for the wilderness environment – in the same vein as Aztec – and its classic architecture which don't disappoint at all.

The game is a key card hunt cleverly hidden in a non-linear layout allowing a free exploration of this impressive building and its surroundings –
generously infested by the vermin. This aspect brings undeniably a replay value and I would expect nothing more from a good map.

Texturing is on average – maybe somewhat repetitive and monotonous - lighting-shading is appreciable.
Overall, everything has been carefully designed.

A well-known large and enjoyable old map.

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 7/10
Sprite Work/Detailing: 7/10
Ambiance: 8/10
Architecture: 18/20
Layout: 19/20
Gameplay/Design: 29/30
Overall: 88/100.

"
David B.

Puritan

That's a cool review.
I'll upload it tomorrow. ( I'm off for a social event  8) )
Oh when I'm old and wise