Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Thanks, EmericaSkater  ;)

Will be uploaded tonight ( GMT ).
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Crucial Conflict series by Maarten Pinxten
These are some nice, old school maps from one of the rare authors of that era that actually took the time to make their maps look good as well as have logical layouts and game play.
Fun, enjoyable environments, evenly challenging (not too hard, not too easy)

It's funny that he comments in his template that the Duke community was dead and how few maps were being released. and that was in 2000

CC1: http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/crucial/crucial.html
CC2 & 3 will be added in the near future
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

The series was also released as an episode with a boss map. Maybe you should have reviewed the entire pack instead?
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Quote from: MSandt on  14 December 2011, 20:21:48
The series was also released as an episode with a boss map. Maybe you should have reviewed the entire pack instead?

The episode pak I have only has the three maps in the grp file. Have a link to the one with the boss map?

MSandt

Oh, my bad, the boss area is actually a part of the third map, not a separate map (I must've been thinking of ADG).
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

The last map I played was Loke's TROR map. But by play it, I meant dnkroz, dnclip, and run around looking at all the TROR.

If I had a penny every time I started feeling half-decent about my mapping, only to look at someone else's recent work and get my mind reset to diddly squat, I'd have enough money to pay those guys to make even better maps, and let me release them under my name... like a hundred million times. I tell you, if you want to bring new mappers into the community, you can't make stuff that good! You just can't! It's putting them off damnit!  :'(
Wall whore.

James

heh, I know you're joking but seriously don't think like that :) I get the same reaction when I see maps from all kinds of games...I think of myself as good but then I play games like Skyrim or DX:HR or whatever and think "where would I even START to make an area like this?" It intimidates me but it also makes me want to take a crack at it, but I have trouble staying motivated.

Loke

I appreciate the words Micky but as James said don't think like that. Try to go in your own pace and don't think too much about what other people do -- of course inspiration is a good thing but coming up with something new yourself helps you stay motivated, at least for me. You should've seen my first stuff, absolute crap with oversized rooms and doors. Ugh. Besides every map doesn't need to be a highly detailed maze with five billion sectors and sprites crammed into a barely navigable room. I'd appreciate a 3DR-style themed map with great gameplay from time to time, but that's just me. :)

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  15 December 2011, 12:58:55
The last map I played was Loke's TROR map. But by play it, I meant dnkroz, dnclip, and run around looking at all the TROR.

If I had a penny every time I started feeling half-decent about my mapping, only to look at someone else's recent work and get my mind reset to diddly squat, I'd have enough money to pay those guys to make even better maps, and let me release them under my name... like a hundred million times. I tell you, if you want to bring new mappers into the community, you can't make stuff that good! You just can't! It's putting them off damnit!  :'(

If everybody's work looked the same, then the game would get boring pretty quick

Loke

Arctic Alert! by Eddy. Pretty fun map although the new enemies were kinda annoying early on since you only had the pistol in possession but towards the half to the very end it gets fairly easy once you get the shotgun.

Forge

This one needed a write up

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/afterglowrising/afterglow.html

Afterglow;A new world rising (Before the quake ), by Frode 'Puritan' Waksvik

Those alien bastards have taken over another city.

A very large city map with a good layout and some real nice detailing.  Gaming areas range from wide open city streets to building interiors. There's a bar, a duke burger, a house, a church, and many more distinctive buildings to explore. Well placed sprite work and good architecture. Nice choices for texturing and a good shading. The use of sound files and the occasional explosions add to the "ravaged city" atmosphere. An excellent looking map with a nice dark ambiance.

Game play is pretty rough. Ammunition and especially health are pretty limited at the beginning. Once Duke finds a few weapons for his arsenal the momentum picks up. Even though there's more health and ammo available farther into the map, survival isn't much easier. Save often. And then save a few more time for good measure. The theme is based on exploring the city, (guided by monitors to the next location), finding hidden passages or switches that open doors or lead to keys, and then moving on to the next location.
Surviving for long periods was rather difficult, but I like the exploring and searching aspect and I found this to be a challenging play.

Texturing/Lighting-Shading:10/10
Sprite Work/Detailing:10/10
Ambiance: 9/10
Architecture/: 19/20
Layout: 20/20
Gameplay/Design: 25/30
Overall: 93/100

Loke

Played through the Crucial Conflict trilogy. Very enjoyable throughout though overall it felt a bit short. I can see that the author was heavily inspired by Half-Life especially Suspicious Storage and Waterworld, while with Acupa Dylana I didn't notice anything Half-Life related except a few textures. And while on the subject regarding the new textures they looked really good and fit perfectly within the world.
Ultimately, excepting a major battle in the end, I left a bit disappointed but overall it was a fun experience.

Also played through CyberDuke. It was ok, cool and unique design with a strange but fitting texture theme. Gameplay wasn't anything out of the ordinary though which was disappointing when taking the unique theme into consideration so expect nothing but a typical killing spree while flipping switches and finding three key cards.

Arghantyl

My first Dm map :D

Like i've promised,i review only the gameplay(the main thing in DM).

Title : Spaceship to fix
File : ARGH!SPACESHIP!06

Type : Fight/Control

Spaceship to fix is a medium sized map playable for 2-5 players,where dukers fight in a wrecken spaceship.The gameplay is balanced and revealed a strategic deepness during tests.

The weaponry is very wide and classic : shotguns (3),Rpgs (2),chaingun,shrinker,devastator,some tripbombs and even a powerful expander ammo !
The inventory includes 2 steroids,1 Medikit and two atomic health are diplaced on each side of the map.
There s some Healthpoints to restaure completey your health and a lot of ammos to keep your mind on action.

The layout of rooms combined to the ressources placing allow a lot of tactics moves and players can easily evade from fights when it become urgent.
For a fast action,when you spawn,you are already to fight due to the weapons left under your feet and a lot of ammos associated.
The control is mainly targeted on item's respawn and tripbombs trapping.

3- 5 Players :
Basic Strategy : When you start this killing-session,focus your mind to grabb heavy stuff like Atomic healths,medikit which increase your chance of success.Note the delay of respawn and recome when it's done.
Forget the Shrinker and prefer the shotgun and Rpg(due to the layout opponents can appear suddenly on your back.).Try to kill fast and if not, move away if you are hurted.

Advanced strategy : Tripbombs will allow to make a lot of victims.Put them on the respawn point especially in the control room.The vents are a nice place too to gain frags without fightings.

Advanced strategy 2: Camp in the cage,outside of the spaceship,is a nice way to set your health to 200 and armor to 100.Launch rockets on teleporters during 15 seconds to prevent some inconvenients (and make some additional frags.... )
If you stay there,nobody can harm you but your score will fail.

2 players :

Basic strategy : Surprisingly,tests showed that the shrinker was overpowered (no people can kill you when you try to stomp your victim) and steroids essentials (increase your speed and protect/cure of the shrinker).
Predict your opponent's moves can be difficult,but not impossible,if you keep in mind that he wants the same things than you.

Advanced strategy :If you stay enough in life,try to grabb some expanders ammos and reverse the situation !

Another day,another challenge.

Puritan

^Thank you  ;)

Map and your overview is now added to our server!
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Arghantyl

Cool  :D

Another one !

Title : Doomed Dual
File :ARGH!DOOM!02.map

Type : Dual
Size : Little
Players : 2

Doomed dual is a little map mainly componed of 3 rooms :An arena,a lava swimmingpool and a hangar.
The aesthetic was designed to be similar with the video game Doom.

People usually do not like dual maps (like E1L1) unless if they are very good players.
Why ? Because if one of two opponents understand the environment  and apply a strategy,the fight is turned on a rape.
The horrible scores of 50 - -5 will horrify your victim and make him flee from the room forever unless if you choose another map.
But if you find an hardcore player,ready to pits his skills against yours...i promise you an epic fight like you never did in a user map.

_The limited weaponry is short and aggressiv  : shotguns (5),chainguns (2),pistol,rpg and an anecdotal Devastator.
_When you start,you have 66% of chances to have a shotgun and 20% to have a chaingun.
_The inventory includes 1 stero,1 atomic health,one medikit.
_There's no healthpoints.

2 Players :

Basic strategy
The gameplay is divided in two goals :
_Grabb the useful items before your opponent did it or just after they respawn.
_Ambush your opponent  every time.

Notice mentally the time when the atomic health,the medikit will respawn.
The best combination staying the classic Shotgun/rpg which allow a fast answer to any cases,try to pick up the  unique rpg in the Hangar.

Advanced strategy 1 :
Keep an aggressiv behaviour : When you start ,you have already a weapon so hunt your opponent before he did it for you even if you know he 's more stuffed than you.
You will get the first strike and even if you are dead,try at least to put down his advantage.
This strategy is available due to that the heavy ressources are not so far to respawn points.

Advanced strategy 2

Try to overview 80 % of the space in 5 seconds.That will allow you to guess easily your opponent.
Use teleporters,the broken window and especially the hole in the flashy corridor.

Another day,another challenge.