Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

quakis

Could anyone recommend a horror themed user map which I either haven't yet reviewed on my site, or is in great need of a re-review over there? Here's the link for reference. It would be nice to have one as part of my site's horror themed event.

methy

Maybe the previous Dark Places map.

After a couple days break I got back into my map (re)playing rush :

It Lives by Gambini :
I appreciated a lot more than when I played it when it was released, it's really a great map. I can't really say much about it that hasn't been said already though. It's long, has variety a real sense of progression, good puzzles for a Duke 3D map (somewhat original and at the same time not too hard to figure out, but will take you a couple of seconds of thinking), and it keeps surprising you as you keep going.
On the down sides I didn't like the enemies respawning in your sight and also at the beginning you are provived with way too much shotgun ammo.

I replayed Rush Back by Gambini :
A really good map with great texturing and a few nice effects (loved the train moving in your face), however the crampedness kinda kills the gameplay. Also that hidden button at the beginning is just horrible and might have put off many players right at the beginning of the level.

I also replayed Desert Storm by Locke http://dukerepository.com/maps/Desert_Storm :
A really great map, again I learnt to appreciate it a lot more than the first time I played it. There is a real sense of progression through the level, architecture, texturing and shading are detailed just enough, some fights are really good due to some interesting enemy choice combos.
I also loved how at the beginning you really have to deserve getting that RPG and the atomic health through that long underwater/alien cave area. I also loved how you can skip it altogether and it's not mandatory, but it rewards the player who takes the time to explore and looks hard enough.

Quakis' Simple-Minded http://dukerepository.com/maps/Simple_Minded
A map made in 3 days. Short, simple fun. The enemy placement and choices kinda suck and gameplay can almost get boring, but that's also probably due to the simpleness of the layout of the map which limits the possibilites.
I liked the bossfight because of how close to the Cycloid the player was.

Sobeach http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/S/sobeach/sobeach.php :
An oldie from 1997 with quite a few surprises : transparent water, sprite with shadows; as well as a nice level architecture.
I also liked the big scale of the map, it made the building feel really massive and important.
Like the review says it's a shame shading isn't better; but this map is still worth checking out, it will take 10mins of your time.

2 the max http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/0-9/2themax/2themax.php :
Boring map from 1999. I mean, shading and architecture is kinda okay, but the layout and themes used don't make sense. Gameplay is terrible as well as it consists in making tons of enemies respawn in front of you while giving you the equivalent of 10 times more ammo and weapons you can carry.
The last part, a remake of the first level of Doom II, is completely uncessary. It looks and plays awful too and ends up ruining the little good thoughts you still had on the map.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Puritan

A side note:
Both "Simple Minded" and "Desert storm" is reviewed and sitting on our server if you like another points of view  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

2 the Max wasn't originally intended to be a single player map; it was specifically designed for co-op which explains the incredibly stupid amount of weapons and ammo, as well as the duff balloons. That being said, there are still too many weapons and supplies.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

But it's a matter of taste anyway.
I actually played this map three times in a row  :)
And I had a great time trying to beat the level only with the shotgun ( except from the ending sequence).
It was quite challenging to move around hitting a button and then quickly step aside, turn around and blow the face off the respawning vermin  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

Quote from: methy on  26 October 2012, 13:49:44
On the down sides I didn't like the enemies respawning in your sight
I regret about that. But it was the only way I had to keep enemies silent and in their place until the player finds them.

Quoteat the beginning you are provived with way too much shotgun ammo.
The beginning shouldn´t have had any enemies around. I just left the "fill every gap" impulse dominate me. It may have been a lot better if you were exploring a desolated hospital, until you find the way to blow up the wall in the waiting room. I never got around to make two versions (the current and the enemies-free-beginning) and compare, but that was a plan.

Forge

It was originally without a load of enemies and supplies at the beggining and had a slower ramp up to the action, but you cut out the section with the boat to re-allocate resources.

Gambini

That intro was better. Unfortunatelly it required more resources at its unfinished state than its replacement at its complete state. You wouldn´t believe the things I´d have built if there were no sprites/walls/sectors limits  :P

Forge

If there weren't any limits I'd still be on my second map  :P

I still have that beta floating around on my hard drive somewhere if you want it.

Gambini

Quote from: Forge on  27 October 2012, 05:08:40
If there weren't any limits I'd still be on my second map  :P
Lol, probably I´d be still adding details to Blown fuses too

I still have that beta floating around on my hard drive somewhere if you want it.

What beta? that map named Swinefluforfaggots? Don´t worry I have 2 gbs full of Blownfuses and itlives iterations.

methy

More great older stuff I've just played for the first time :

Invaders http://dukerepository.com/maps/Invaders
Found it on DNR's On This Day. A space map but which is surprisingly not generic at all and actually rather original by combining space/alien textures with also textures more commonly used in tech maps and horror maps. Very clean design all the way through and some original ideas, and there are even quite a few very nice looking spaceships throughout the level.
A good medium sized map which only problem is its crampedness.

DaikariN randomly found on http://dukenukem3dtc.tripod.com/id124.html
You guys are very very mean. I mean, why haven't you told me about this episode before ? If you keep more secrets like this one to yourself please let them out.

Anyway - DaikariN is a fantastic 7 maps episode released in 2005 but made in 2002 (according to MSDN's review).
It includes 5 levels as well as one short boss map and one secret map (which sucks, but it's the least important of the bunch).
The first level is a classic city map which is so good it would fit perfectly in Metropolitan Mayhem.
The next map is an underground EDF base.
The next two maps take place in a medieval castle/mountain setting.
The last 3 maps take place on a base on the moon.

This might seem typical, right? However, except from the 2 castle/mountain maps, the authors uses mostly textures you don't usually see in this type of levels, as a result the environments look incredibly great and original, especially for its time.
Architecture is rather "squarish", which is why I love it, but always detailed just right. Shading is perfect. Gameplay is great (although there might be too many health packs and shotgun/chaingun ammo everywhere, but that's typical for an episode, and I would have liked to get the shrinker and freezer earlier). Map layout and level progression are good, and there is enough eye-candys, explosions and respawn to never get you bored.

My two only complains : some music would have been nice; also in the boss map the boss diseappeared when reaching the lava area in the center.

Everyone should (re)play this because it needs more recognition. MSDN's review http://msdn.duke4.net/hotdaikarin.php

Some screenshots in case you're still not convinced :

http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

@methy

if you add a little more to your summaries and provide 6 screenshots, we could probably use them for official reviews if that's something you're interested in. you seem to be playing alot of old, cool stuff.

ck3D

i remember that daikarin episode, i randomly found it too and posted about how great it was on dn-r many many years ago. I couldn't believe I had never played it before as well, so I know how you feel like. I could have sworn we had talked about it before though !

Gambini

I played it in coop a few years ago with Mr. William Gee and Mr. Maarten van Oostrum. William already knew it so he was leading us, at some point we entered this large room and both me and Maarten said :wow:. And Willy said: I told you it was good you bitches!

quakis

I remember enjoying Daikarin a lot back when I played it for the first time. I'm actually considering giving that another go when I get the chance and write a new review. The old one I wrote years ago doesn't do this classic any justice. ;D