Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: ck3D on  02 January 2013, 17:06:19
i never really understood shit to the differences between polymer, polymost and the like, the settings i always play with on the computer i used are 1024 x 768 32 bpp with polymer unchecked. that's classic mode, right ?

In the most basic sense:
8bpp=classic
32bpp w/polymer box unchecked=polymost
32bpp w/polymer box checked=polymer

to kill the polymer lights for performance boost, type in console r_pr_lighting 0
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

ck3d is caught playing Duke again.
Fire him!  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

Quote from: Forge on  02 January 2013, 17:28:21
i never really understood shit to the differences between polymer, polymost and the like, the settings i always play with on the computer i used are 1024 x 768 32 bpp with polymer unchecked. that's classic mode, right ?

In the most basic sense:
8bpp=classic
32bpp w/polymer box unchecked=polymost
32bpp w/polymer box checked=polymer

to kill the polymer lights for performance boost, type in console r_pr_lighting 0

Thanks. I actually remember following polymer and polymost a little back when they were introduced, but seeing as I don't know anything about graphic technicalities and how similar both names are, in addition to only dabbling in the game from a pure mapper perspective, I always got everything mixed up. This, plus hearing of all the other assets, such as the HRP, dukeplus only features that came around at about the same time... I am so lost sometimes. Now I understand a little better again.

Micky C

don't know what the differences with the original version were, though !

Just lots and lots of little changes. Paul did a lot of tweaking of my gameplay after the release to what he thought was better, but of course each mapper has his own idea of "better" and I prefer what I did  ;) I also think he slightly compromised the singleplayer experience in favour of multiplayer. He went crazy patching it up for multiplayer towards the end.
Btw if you're curious, the building that I did completely on my own was the one where you blow up the crack at the front to get into (it's also got a mailbox under the verandah).

To add to what Forge said:
8 bit classic is somewhat compatible with TROR. Maps can be made to be completely compatible if care is taken, however most maps like Parkade just don't bother.
32 bit polymost is the absolute WORST renderer to use for TROR. You should avoid it at all costs. It's also the one you used haha.
32 bit polymer is 110% compatible with TROR and blatent SOS with zero glitches. However the framerate can be a bit slow especially in large detailed areas. Technically plagman is working on speeding it up but it's slow going. It's also the one with the fancy modern lights and other shader effects (and can eventually use classic's 8-bit tables for a more gritty shading effect).

So for TROR, try to use polymer if you can, otherwise your only other option is classic.
Wall whore.

ck3D

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the heads up. Wait, by blatant SOS, do you mean that polymer now actually supports the traditional way of building sectors over sectors, in addition to the new true room over room feature ? like, can you now build overlapping floors the old way, so that they can now be seen in game at the same time ?

Micky C

Exactly. The original Sector over Sector which caused HOM in classic and polymost works in Polymer. I wouldn't say it's "supported", it's always been like that and it's simply how the renderer works: It just draws everything (that's why it was so easy to make it work flawlessly with TROR, it only needs a single render pass as opposed to classic which needs a new render pass for each TROR portal).

Just to be clear we're talking about the same thing, here's a short video showing SOS in both renderers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNIDlSEzeA0

Edit: I hope you're starting to see why I love polymer so much, it's just the perfect renderer, and as it gets more features added and is optimised to run faster, it will only get better  :-*
Wall whore.

ck3D

that's pretty awesome, i didn't even know that. i think i will keep making my maps the old way though, making sure that the player can't see overlapping floors, for compatibility issues and because i actually somewhat enjoy having to deal with that limit (it is always the most rewarding feeling when you build a complex sector over sector mess and realize that you built everything perfectly accordingly so that the player will never find that one odd angle that allows him to see the whole deal at once... i spend so much time trying to break sector over sector effects in user maps it's not even funny). but it's really good to know that if anything goes wrong, telling the players to just use polymer fixes it... convenience convenience.

for the record all there is in the big map i started almost two years ago now, that i have posted about a couple of times here and there before, and never got to finish, is a five-story building, partly destroyed and with windows on different sides with a lot of sight on the surrounding street, which doesn't use true room over room, only the old sector over sector trick, and somehow i still managed to make it work with no HOM, i felt pretty proud and lucky of that back then

ck3D

Quote from: Puritan on  02 January 2013, 21:23:06
ck3d is caught playing Duke again.
Fire him!  ;D

i even started a new map two or three days ago, to release it before i leave my hometown again on the 5th... but it's probably not going to happen... so far it's just one big room...

Gambini

Quote from: Micky C on  03 January 2013, 01:13:42
it's just the perfect renderer

Come on! Polymer is without a doubt the less perfected renderer. At its current state, it´s glitchy and slow as no other.

Loke

Quote from: Gambini on  03 January 2013, 02:03:55
Quote from: Micky C on  03 January 2013, 01:13:42
it's just the perfect renderer

Come on! Polymer is without a doubt the less perfected renderer. At its current state, it´s glitchy and slow as no other.

Yeah, it's awful at the moment. I can barely play any map in Polymer without sacrificing the framerate. I need my 60+ FPS otherwise I can't play properly and anything below 30 is unacceptable.

Micky C

I know it's incomplete with the inability to draw multiple parallax skies and the showview command (which is part of the same problem), and there's a bit of transparency problems with models, but apart from that, how is it glitchy?
And ok it is unreasonably slow but it's not that bad, you can still get plenty of speed out of it if you know what you're doing. Look at Diaz.

Ok fine it has some issues. But those bugs, lack of features, and slowness will all be fixed at some point. Maybe I should say it WILL be the perfect renderer :P
Wall whore.

Gambini

Quotehow is it glitchy?

The most annoying thing IMO is the decal sprites clipping walls.

Quoteyou can still get plenty of speed out of it if you know what you're doing. Look at Diaz.

Was Diaz that guy that was happy having 15 fps on a i7 extreme with a top notch video card?  ::)

Micky C

Hey don't forget that video I took of part of one of my serious sam levels. That had a lot of lights spawned by actors and the level is huge, plus I'm running fraps. My computer is from early 2009 and didn't have above average power or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtE1OJyWWwU
Wall whore.

ck3D

Routine, downloaded off MSDN here : http://msdn.duke4.net/hotroutine.php

it was pretty good, the design is pretty messy and the layout a bit weird sometimes, but for an average quality map it played quite well. it's a straightforward keyrun and the firefights are moderate, but the enemy placement is vicious (commanders behind doors, octabrains and pigcops in narrow corridors, turrets), and ammo and health are close to non-existent, so basically you are forced to switch weapons all the time and if you are the kind of player who likes to shoot at the clouds you are screwed. i died twice but that was because of this stupid laptop whose touchpad is too close to the shooting buttons which fucked me up on some fights, i play with mouse aiming on and my sleeve kept slipping on the touchpad by accident (i was playing in the dark but still, so lame), making me lose control at crucial times. a nice experience still, i liked the challenge.

ck3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8glb5sQho has this map ever been played / reviewed anywhere ? (download link is in the description). I just downloaded it and it looks pretty neat !