Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Quote from: ck3D on  04 January 2013, 04:34:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8glb5sQho has this map ever been played / reviewed anywhere ? (download link is in the description). I just downloaded it and it looks pretty neat !

You haven't tried our search features I presume...  :P

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/C/crashand/crashand.php
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

i do every once in a while but i have to admit i forgot to this time around. i am sorry !

i regularly look up 'duke 3d user map' in youtube in order to try to find a couple gems. of course there's a fair deal of people who just post walkthroughs, or demos of themselves playing shitty maps they just built in five minutes, but sometimes you stumble upon interesting new or obscure stuff like that, maps you wouldn't have thought of trying if it weren't for those videos (ie. because of bad screenshots or ratings in a review, then watching the video you realize that the map actually has something for you). maybe youtube is going to eventually become the next step for map advertising and reviews at some point, or i don't know. i am just making up theories now, but i think it has the potential to attract wider audiences than strictly duke 3d-based websites. so many people seem to look up 'duke 3d' on youtube for nostalgia's sake, if we could attract those people into the community (not saying it needs it... i like how tight-knit yet open it is these days) that would ensure its future going on for quite a while (but of course whatever has to happen is probably just going to happen on its own anyway... i just feel like typing a lot)

Nancsi

I decided to replay the entire map collection by Alejandro Glavic. Here is a short level-to-level breakdown how I felt these maps.

YMF500g: Relatively bright space station, with above average design. Gameplay is VERY monotonous and boring. There is no variety in the combats, same weapons, same enemies, same rooms. Kudos to the addition of the shrinker though, and some areas look nice. Score: 80/100

EDF Secret Base: Lot better than YMF. Unlike any other Ale map, this one has depth in the gameplay field, with additions of different monsters and the base feels a bit less linear. There are still a lot of repetition of the combats, but compared to the others, it's better. The design is a bit different to Ale's other maps, less detailed, but still solid and good. One of my favourites of this bunch. Score: 92/100

Lost Moonbase: I never ever felt that this level took in space. It's just a random hi-tech basement. Design is good, there are some eyecandy here and there and I love the use of different colors. It should have been called Funky Station... Gameplay is usual Ale, waaay too many Enforcers give again a monotonous feel to it. At least we have some Newbeasts for a change. Again not much weapon choice too. Score: 86/100

Hydro Station: This map is holy cow from the leveldesign perspective. Great use of shading, colors, textures is truly amazing. Gameplay is a different story. It's again very boring with the same ol' stuff is going on. Too linear battles and unimaginative button puzzles. The good thing is the ending with the earthquake. Too bad it didn't pan into something extraordinary. Score: 85/100 (Design 100, Gameplay 70)

Military Madness: I can say the same thing what I said in Hydro... Leveldesign is topnotch but gameplay is run of the mill. It's a little bigger level though and adds some variety with the garage bossfights. Score: 88/100

Blackened: Finally a city map... It's a little dark and eerie, but sadly the gameplay feels the same bore again. Leveldesign is very good and I really love the look of the train station. Not much else to say, worth playing once. Score: 85/100

Welcome Home: This map has new graphic set which is fun. The new textures and sprites look authentic Duke, even with the 2004/Matrix references feel a bit dated now. Gameplay is the same, but for some reason the map feels less linear and the combats are a bit smarter. This map is rather enjoyable and among the bests of Ale. Big minus for the ending though. I expected more after the red key, not instant fadeaway. Score: 91/100

Alien Wipeout: OK, not much to say, I only can repeat myself. Good leveldesigh with mediocre (and this time painfully short) gameplay. The level layout is a bit WTF at times, but Ale still used a lot of eyecandy as a "selling point"of these maps. Ending is meh again... Score: 81/100

Another Timeless Night: This is a topnotch looking city. I truly enjoyed it until the combats started. At least it has a different gameplay with more Battlefield type style. I have never been a fan of shooting masses of respawning aliens. The map plays OK though, and a nice swansong for Ale's Duke mapping. Score: 86/100

Overall, topnotch leveldesign for most part mixed with boring and repetitive gameplay. Ale should have learned how to build more complex layouts, and not just chained rooms with random enemies. Other thing I felt when played these levels is how old I became. Fuck, most of these things happened 10 years ago, and I badly want these years back.

Forge

with the amount of time taken to play maps and the non-generic feedback you provide, you should consider submitting reviews to the site so there's a variety to the perspectives. people probably get tired of the same old flavor after awhile.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

Dogville 2012 - Review; http://taw.duke4.net/2013/01/duke3d/dogville2012/

Been such a long time since I played the original that I barely remembered any of it. To summarise my review above; I didn't enjoy the extended segments nearly as much as the original section.

Forge

sounds like the extended sections were too long for your taste and you become bored.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Nancsi

Played (or tried playing) Stranger's Power Station. That level is so weird. Even weirder than Ruin. It's a huge base but the enemies are put in clusters instead of put scattered like in most maps. That's not a bad idea, but the level is too unlinear, and it's not good to enter the big locations without proper equipment.

My problem is that I can't finish the map. I didn't find any clues where the nukebutton is supposed to be, and the red key leads to nowhere (blowing an area which can be entered by a complicated puzzle only, and it seems dead end anyway). Anyone else played this recently?

MSandt

It's a multiplayer map. I hated the fact that he wasted his incredible skills on making multiplayer maps.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

David B.

I just found out the Stranger's maps and I have rarely seen so great architecture and layout.
He was undeniably an outstanding mapper and we missed something for the fact he hadn't built more single player maps.
David B.

Nancsi

Quote from: MSandt on  27 January 2013, 10:27:00
It's a multiplayer map. I hated the fact that he wasted his incredible skills on making multiplayer maps.

That's true, but it can be played in SP, just like Ruin. Anyway, I found the solution, it has a jetpack after the red key area, and you have to fly up somewhere else to find the exit. It's a very complicated puzzle, hard to find it without checking it in the Mapster. It also has a somewhat dysfunctional crane, don't know if it's an Eduke32 bug or something else though.

Both Ruin and Power Station are incredibly built with georgeous leveldesign and eyecandy. Stranger's only true SP map is Starlite Project, but it's older, and not as great looking (not a bad one however).

Nancsi

Just another little trivia. Found this gem with the wayback machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/19971010185624/http://www.ten.net/maps/

The Mapstravaganza winners and runner ups. Out of the single player contestants, I've never heard of Shrinker, BBorg and SSLumina.

It has a downloadable(!) mod of some Pig Cop transformation.

Gambini

Nice find! Who would finance a contest like that nowadays?

I want a contest in CGS with the same prize! just for nostalgia sake hey!

Puritan

Quote from: Gambini on  29 January 2013, 00:29:41
Nice find! Who would finance a contest like that nowadays?

I want a contest in CGS with the same prize! just for nostalgia sake hey!
Cool find, Nancsi  ;)
USD 1000.-
Are you trying to ruining me, Gambini  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MikeNorvak

I haven't had any time to do anything related to Duke nor playing maps, but I visited Duke EspaƱa tonight I just noticed the maps for the 2012 build contest are up, there are good names there, sure they worth giving a try. :D Please someone post some shots... :P

http://www.dukespana.com/concursos_build_2012.php

MSandt

Took a quick peek in Build and they all seem pretty good. Do you think it'd be okay to publish some of them even though the contest is ongoing? (I don't speak Spanish so I don't know their rules.)
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark