Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Why is Bank by danstructor in the 2012 espana build contest?

it's just an updated map of his from 2004 and all he really did was add polymer lights
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

I actually realized that the contest was running because of Norvak´s post. Haven´t been hanging around Dukespaña too much since it refuses to remember my login details.

Micky C

Was there any significant event that caused that? I only joined the community around 2007 and started mapping around 2009 so I'm not up to scratch on community history.

Edit: talking about the decline of DNR around 2007.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Quote from: Forge on  04 February 2013, 16:28:45
Why is Bank by danstructor in the 2012 espana build contest?

it's just an updated map of his from 2004 and all he really did was add polymer lights

Can't modify my post so forgive the double post.

Wow that Bank map looks pretty simple from the screenshots. The polymer lighting isn't even good. I thought the score of 84 was generous based on the visuals (at least one of the categories should have scored no more than a 6 rather than 7s and above). But then again my own Libraryl wasn't that much better so I'll speak no more.

I'm not criticising the review btw, I haven't played the map and if someone reads the review and sees the screenshots that should be enough for them to decide whether they want to play the map without having to look at the score.
Wall whore.

Forge

i could have been a little more harsh on spritework/detailing and architecture, but it's about right. the polymer lighting was hit and miss - some areas were very basic and amateurish, or just overdone to the point where they lose their effect. a couple areas were well done, but what was happening in the map doesn't really translate well into a static screenshot.

the map is worth a look, but if you decide to pass you're not missing out on anything.

Quote from: Micky C on  05 February 2013, 07:57:18
Was there any significant event that caused that? I only joined the community around 2007 and started mapping around 2009 so I'm not up to scratch on community history.

There's really nothing I can point to and say. "this is why".

Map releases dropped off like it hit a cliff in '03-'04. Dukeworld closed its doors. Most of the old school crew just wandered away and never came back. 

the community got old, went through a mid-life crisis for a few years, and boiled down to what we have left.

We still lose established members from the community on a consistent basis (william gee, Maarten O., CK3D are some of the most recent that hardly show up anymore), but we get new members at an equal rate, so things seem stable for the time being.

David B.

I hope it's still worth creating new maps cause it requires so much investment while less and less players see your work  :-\

I finished the first map of my project (about 20 min play time) with IA and (very extra) polishing. I stopped for the moment the second part, no time these days...

I think I should absolutely show and release this work to other guys but the Duke 3D future vision is not very encouraging... I'm still willing to do maps and I have regrets nowadays for not having done maps before, when much people were still attracted by the game.
David B.

Puritan

Consider mapping as a hobby, David  ;)
Then it wont matter if 5 or 1000 are seeing your work.

Having said that; There is still quite a few Dukers around.
Our downloads is now counting more than 13,000 maps in a year or so.
In addition to CGS there is MSDN, DNR and a few more map bases where Dukers can download from.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Think of it this way: If you release a half decent new map, there are less than a few dozen maps released each year so a big deal is made of it, and lots of people will probably play it.

I don't know how it is over at the Doom community, but I'm guessing that loads of people map and release maps over there, and I'm sure a lot of them are nothing special, which makes it much harder to stand out of the crowd and have people play it.

But Puritan's right, it's about the enjoyment of actually making the map rather than stressing about how many people might play it.
I'm taking a stab in the dark here but I think one of the reasons why people don't comment on maps as much any more is because these days essentially all maps released are by experienced mappers and are high quality, so what's everyone going to say? "wow great map" to all of them? Of course they're great.
Wall whore.

Puritan

^The same goes for the Half-Life community.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Yeah, and I know this is going way off-topic, but it's worth mentioning that when multiplayer is officially declared finished and bug free, I forsee loads of mappers coming to the community; new and old to make and play new dukematch maps. That will give us a nice boost.

I just wish the multiplayer was finished at a) the release of DNF, and b) when GOG was giving Duke 3D away for free. The two biggest peaks of Duke 3D interest of the last decade and we had broken multiplayer for both of them, turning loads of people off  :(
Wall whore.

Gambini

Quotehope it's still worth creating new maps cause it requires so much investment while less and less players see your work

I had the same feeling when working on Blown Fuses (2008) and when finishing It Lives (2011) and you know what? very little has changed... It´s 2013 now, according to Back to the Future 2 in two years we will all have levitating cars, smart clothes and automatic bar tenders. It´s a natural feeling when you work on something that took you lot of work to analize if it was worth. But in any case 1-There´s still a stable amount of players waiting for your map 2-It´s like the guys say, for your own satisfaction (which is alone a very good reason).

Forge

i went through the same thing. I became disenchanted with the community after working for months on a map then getting so little feedback.

the minimal response, while disappointing, is just a facade. Alot more people play the map than just those that bother to give a comment or two

i'm not a big name mainstream mapper. very few people know who i am or that i've ever made a map. Disadvantageous? yes, but still interesting when somebody stumbles across my work after a few years and i get asked if i have anymore maps that they'd like to try.

i still map for its own entertainment value. most of it i'm just playing around then toss it out. on a rare occasion i'll make something that inspires me to expand on it. if i don't run out of interest, it may actually reach the releasable level (such as my last map), but i'm doing it for me and nobody else. Just like making a painting or putting together a model. This may seem selfish, but if you're mapping for the community instead of your own self-satisfaction be prepared to be disappointed.

quakis

I still enjoy jumping into the editor even now to work on some ideas I have, regardless. If I happen to finish anything I do work on then it's simply a win-win situation. 8) I do wish the wall limit was doubled though, it just never seems enough at times. ;D

Puritan

Played "Red-light Romp" by Luke Nockles.

A fun little map in a small city by the docks.
Nothing special about the map but it is worth some ten minutes of your time.
I gave it a quick review and glued it to our server.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Nancsi

I've played XXX by Peter Kucera. Good, fun level, except for the lack of ammo, and the Battlelord at the end.

This MSDN review: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotxxx.php somehow didn't notice the map used a big chunk of DN-Penthouse graphics.