Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Just finished R & R by Justin Harding.
A very small but god damn hard level to beat.
Gave it a quick review and uploaded it.

R & R

To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Arghantyl

Quote from: Puritan on  15 March 2013, 09:14:17
Just finished R & R by Justin Harding.
A very small but god damn hard level to beat.
Gave it a quick review and uploaded it.

Played it too.

This map is really fucked challenging.
I cannot understand the interest to kill the player in huge explosions.

Another day,another challenge.

Forge

took me two tries to get out of that room - the first time i splatted on the pavement
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

ck3D

Cathedral. Took me 20 minutes but only because the switch that unlocks the door to the cathedral didn't work the first time around for some reason, so I spent a while exploring about, thinking it might have unlocked something else (the amount of unopenable doors in the map did not help). That map looked awesome in terms of design, even though there were a couple of sloppier-than-average buildings I was impressed by the main building and the unreachable areas, the surroundings ! Firefights were easy, the backtracking kind of sucked and throwing 6 octabrains in a (then bootless) player's face in an average-sized space with slime on the ground is not a good way to design a challenging, interesting, fun firefight. There is also a vent shaft that kind of sucks because it is slightly tricky to get into. I liked the map though, it had that nice feeling to it.

Supertanker

Just played the same map for the second time...the first time I did *NOT* find the hotel entrance, so I got frustrated after 30 minutes or so and gave up. It went a lot smoother after that! Also, I found boots somewhere well before the octabrains, you might want to look again...

Loved the lighting, but the architecture lags my computer :(

ck3D

yeah I also found them, but that was later during my playthrough (so they served no purpose whatsoever anymore), they are in a rather obvious location but to me that location did not seem to serve any purpose, so i didn't get out of my way to find them as early as i should have, whatever though this is really minor nitpicking. if anything i am to blame for playing the map in a rush, and not looking around well enough. still i really liked that map, i thought it was a good, solid and clean looking mix of old school style and new school style and i am looking forward to seeing more !

quakis

Red Sun by Eckard Gehm. Played in Dosbox, which I might do for most classic (pre-port) maps from now on. I do the same for Doom, but use Chocolate Doom port instead.
Review: http://taw.duke4.net/2013/04/duke3d/red-sun/

Forge

i didn't compare the differences (supposedly there are bug fixes), but here's an updated version of redsun

[attachment deleted by admin]
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

ck3D

i remember red sun, the different look of that map left me in awe the first time i ever played it !

last map i played was lp.map puritan just posted on the front page. surely some interesting design bits, mostly thanks to those new textures, and there's almost not one single square room in the map... a lot of basic mistakes such as texture misalignments and whatnot but heh. also some locations lacking purpose and yadda yadda... the typical old school user map. i liked it though, it was a fun playthrough, i actually had a rather hard time on a couple occasions but that's only because i kept missing the rooms that held all the weaponry and health kits, i only found most of them towards the end of my playthrough while just roaming around the level, not a bad thing though i liked the little challenge, and the continuous impression of not knowing what to expect next !

Puritan

I've just finished "Going Polar" by NRS_Keeba.

It's quite refreshing with a snowy themed map every now and then.
The map is quite simple after todays standards but I found it worthy an upload.
The custom snow themed art file might be of interest for some of you mappers after all.

Check it out  :)
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

ck3D

midnight arrival by colonelconsequences, and i am stuck. i am done activating the four switches in the office building but i can't seem to grasp what to do next ? i glitched my way through a badly blocked masked wall in order to get the shrinker in the library (a 'happy' accident), did i miss anything or break a sequence by doing so ? (hopefully not - one should never have to backtrack this much in a level)

what a terrible midi file, by the way

MSandt

If you have activated all the switches, you should be able to access some reactor core. You can get there via the canals.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

ck3D

thanks, i eventually found my way out by myself, partly thanks to Forge's hints in his review of this map on this site. that map was an oddity, average design (some of the architecture and level geometry make up for it), enjoyable firefights, yet terrible layout. it just does not flow at all, the player is constantly sent back and forth between different sections of the map that have no reason to be separated the way they are. had both sections been connected together by more than just those underwater bits, it would have flowed a lot better in my opinion. i still enjoyed the map though, there was some eye-candy and some locations were inspired. i just found it really confusing and contrived, even a little bit too much.

DavoX

Quote from: methy on  23 March 2012, 14:04:20
Stop calling yourself an artist because you've made a couple of usermaps for a 15 years old game.
You're starting to make me think of DavoX.

LOL I know it's really old quote but I'm curious as to what you meant Methy :P

DavoX

Quote from: Puritan on  18 January 2012, 18:18:02
Played "Buenos Aires Explosive Remake" by DavoX.
Man, I can't believe I missed this one  :o
What a wonderful map! Brimmed with aliens, lots of places to explore, nice progress and more explotions in your face than you can count.
My cup of tea  ;)

Seen this late, thanks man for playing it, I'm sorry about the puzzle at the end. Maybe I should Make an updated version tha's more fair and suited for normal people ? :D