Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanek

Quote from: Puritan on  15 October 2013, 18:15:54
Just played "Los Angeles 2019" by Rogier van Lokven.

A nice little map losely based on the movie "Blade Runner".
Damn! I've been thinking of building a map based on that movie for a long time. Ah well..

Gave it a quick review and uploaded it.
It's worth a few minutes of your time I think.

I just played in it after your post, and I think it's a nice map too!

I also played in the remake of Red recently, but I have to wait until the release. :)

High Treason

Blade Runner eh? That keeps popping up just lately, started with a friend and I talking about how the future sucks now, I preffered the dark cyberpunk future of the 80's and 90's, found an example picture and it turned out it was from Blade Runner. I had never seen the film and watched it, it was OK, now everyone seems to keep talking about it.

When I'm not so groggy with this cold I'll try that map out.

You know, I do see pieces of Blade Runner in Duke 3D, more in the prototypes, but there are certainly elements of it in Episode 3 (Like E3L4) - I bet 3DR's team watched that film.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

Mikko Sandt said it´s the kind of movie that gets better the more you watch it, and he´s damn right.

I personally had a crush with that movie  -that I saw only once when i was 6- Of which i never knew the name. But I was so connected with the "replicants". Some guy I used to talk to on steam mentioned it many times, while I talked to him about how much i was engrossed with Deus Ex HR´s story. I realized it was that movie and downloaded ASAP. The first time I watched it I fell asleep, sitting on a chair with daylight and people around me. But then rewatching it made me love it. I don´t really love the first 40 minutes or so, but past that part, and being you on the mood of what the story is about... It´s all glory. Don´t pay attention to Deckard, he´s a moron, the movie is about somebody else.

Forge

Deckard is there to show that a selfish douche can learn empathy (and the "is he or isn't he" for Ridley Scott's emphasis on the character)
-of course he wasn't in the original book, and everything in the movie points to him being human (human strength, all those cops have known him for years longer than what a normal replicant life span should be, etc.)-
the only things that really imply he's a replicant is his  failure to answer the question about taking some polygraph like replicant finding test (being human and a blade runner he wouldn't be expected to take that test anyway) and the oragami unicorn left by Rachael (which may mean she knows what his "implanted" dreams are) - this last scene is in the directors cut & not the original movie.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

When the Director´s Cut was out? I remember the unicorn origami from that time i watched it.

BTW I think you´re mixing up the book and the movie. In the movie Deckard never takes the Voight Kampff test. Rachael asks him, at some point, if he ever did, but he doesn´t answer because he´s asleep.

Quotethe oragami unicorn left by Rachael
The origamni is not left by Rachael, the only person doing origamis for each success is that chinese guy. I think it implies that he went to Deckard´s house and knows that Rachael was there, and that´s why he says "it´s too bad she wont live...". Deckard never mentions having her on his house for some free robotic blowjobs.

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  18 October 2013, 00:55:07
BTW I think you´re mixing up the book and the movie. In the movie Deckard never takes the Voight Kampff test. Rachael asks him, at some point, if he ever did, but he doesn´t answer because he´s asleep.
Quote from: Forge on  17 October 2013, 04:39:21
....his failure to answer the question about taking some polygraph like replicant finding test
i thought what i wrote meant the same thing.

and you are right. it was Gaff, not Rebeca that left the origami unicorn

i think the directors cut was out in 1993
there was also an international (or criterion cut) that was shown in europe and asia that was released in 1982 which didn't make it to the Americas officially until 1992
so it's probably one of these you seen

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

In 1993 I was like 12. It must have been then that international version. I was six in 1987, we watched it a weekend, at nigth, with my parents. I remember being very concerned about why he had to kill the replicants, specially Pris.

Quotei thought what i wrote meant the same thing.

I got you wrong. I thought you meant that he failed to answer his own machine test, which actually happens in the book. It´s pretty silly, but he asks himself a question and some other blade runner watchs the gauges for him.

EDIT: I also remember like if it was yesterday, how Roy waits until the very last moment to hold Deckard´s hand when he was about to fall. I remember the feeling of "fuck you, look how I´m much more human than you". I don´t mean that popped up when I rewatched it. I mean it was stuck in my head and I could describe all details: The nail in his hand, the blood stain, the rain...

What I was really wrong about is the snake scale: For all that time I thought replicants were made of that, and that´s why Deckard was so interested about it.

Merlijn

Replayed It lives by Gambini. Unfortunately, the newer versions of eduke automatically increase the strenght of monsters when they have different pals. As a result, the map was a lot harder then it should be. Someone should alert the eduke team about this: it's a nice little extra feature, but it also makes some older levels frustratingly hard.

The map is, of course, still brilliant.  :)

Micky C

The issue isn't unknown to them, but as DT says, they're never going to change anything unless people keep bugging and reminding them about it.
Wall whore.

Gambini

It´s sad that the grounds where we build our stuff keep changing all the time. Haven´t played Blown Fuses in ages, for example, but last time I did shading and many other thigns were fucked up. I guess you can´t expect any longer for your work to remain authentic. Glad people keep enjoying that map  :) Maybe once I make a new one!

ck3D

ecclesia.map : http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/E/ecclesia/ecc.php

not as good as i thought it was going to be from the review (by this i mean that the screenshots looked better than the actual map) but it wasn't bad for 1999. very tight on ammo and health, and the mapper keeps throwing tough guys at you, randomly too ie. pigcops in church / cave settings or even a battlelord you don't have the weaponry to fight. kind of weird how it loops back to the start of the map at the end too (and you have to walk all around the map again if you get back into the teleporter with no shorter way out). probably not really worth playing unless you are bored

MikeNorvak

Does anyone from the past days have a copy of WGCastle? Is it used/released somewhere? I'm working on WGR2 New Episode. And that map could come in handy. Any help would be aprecciated :)

What hapened to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCDoHmpqZQ

And WGCity2 ? !

Gambini

William Gee has been off the loop for years. That WGR2 trailer is from before WG decided to make the mod 8bits. All that has been converted to what the released WGR2 is.

MikeNorvak

Well, that's partially true because in the trailer there are some unreleased bits with any doubt. I'm almost sure William has some unfinished stuff that haven't seen the day of light. He send us a map called WGX7 that contains unfinished chunks from the TC, any of the showed locations in the video appears in the map though. I read on AMC, Maarten got a copy of WGCastle eons ago...

Puritan

Just finished LA Duke 2002 by George K.

A stunning map design wise it is.
With a few adjustments to the story / gameplay and the weapons/ammo ratio it could easily been a map with a top rating.
The author pulled off this map at the time Red 3 was born and Pascal released Roch 6.
Just saying....

Edit: I have this funny feeling when looking at this map and then LA Duke 2002  ???
Anybody else...??
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise