Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

billyboy's early maps are frustrating puzzle nightmares, his later maps have easier puzzles, but they're huge an require alot of exploring

lighthouse and memorial hospital are large, but fairly easy to understand where you need to go

deadfall is huge and can be confusing

clearwater and bedrone are the in-betweens. not huge, not overly frustrating

oranges and valves will probably piss you off

try bedrone first

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Red4

nice concept, but some unfair firefights in tight corridors, inescapable booby traps, too much backtracking up and down the same hallway multiple times to solve a button puzzle.

Merlijn

Quote from: Forge on  31 December 2011, 17:28:46
Roch3

I like watching how things improve and get more complex from one map to the next

unfortunately, this map has a few design flaws

What a coincidence, I just played that map a few days ago.  :)
Some of the unreachable scenery looks a bit dated, but a very good map anyway. The train station is probably my favorite part.

Red4 biggest problem: it's really cramped at times (especially the staircases). I prefer both red3 and red5 over it, although I still really like the layout and the ending sequence of red4.

Supertanker

Quote from: Forge on  01 January 2012, 14:59:20
billyboy's early maps are frustrating puzzle nightmares, his later maps have easier puzzles, but they're huge an require alot of exploring

lighthouse and memorial hospital are large, but fairly easy to understand where you need to go

deadfall is huge and can be confusing

clearwater and bedrone are the in-betweens. not huge, not overly frustrating

oranges and valves will probably piss you off

try bedrone first

Has anyone actually FINISHED valves or oranges? I certainly never did. Clearwater and Bedrone are my two favorite maps of his. The rest kind of drive me nuts.

Maarten

Quote from: Forge on  27 December 2011, 13:15:33
Biglight (lighthouse) by billyboy. Friggin' monstrous puzzle map, but with enough action to keep it interesting. Almost everything has a view screen or is labeled so it's not too hard to figure out if you're bad at, "what the hell just unlocked?", type maps.

You got me going there to replay "Clear water" by Billyboy. Wow, that map brings some memories back - it was one of my first user maps I downloaded, back then when MSDN was the "one special Duke site"... :D
I got to the last part outside, visited all small buildings (including the alien "crane"..hope I'm using the right word here :P). I'm stuck with the blue keycard tho :( The last part is @ the armory building, I used a switch that showed a big yellow-key slot outside...what's next??

BTW hi, this is my first post here :P
Boo!

MSandt

Quote from: Maarten on  01 January 2012, 21:46:04
Quote from: Forge on  27 December 2011, 13:15:33
Biglight (lighthouse) by billyboy. Friggin' monstrous puzzle map, but with enough action to keep it interesting. Almost everything has a view screen or is labeled so it's not too hard to figure out if you're bad at, "what the hell just unlocked?", type maps.

You got me going there to replay "Clear water" by Billyboy. Wow, that map brings some memories back - it was one of my first user maps I downloaded, back then when MSDN was the "one special Duke site"... :D
I got to the last part outside, visited all small buildings (including the alien "crane"..hope I'm using the right word here :P). I'm stuck with the blue keycard tho :( The last part is @ the armory building, I used a switch that showed a big yellow-key slot outside...what's next??

http://taw.duke4.net/2007/06/walkthroughs/cranium-walkthrough/
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

welcome  :)

i haven't seen you around any of the forums lately (except that most recent post at AMC). i figured you'd abandoned these sites for real life (or a woman, in which case, shame on you  ;))

Forge

Roch Secret 1

not alot to say about the map. It was mainly made to feature the perfected sector effects and tricks from the first three maps instead of remaking & re-releasing the maps. Other than the upgrades to the aforementioned items it's obvious that not a whole lot of effort was put into the rest of the map beyond some strong shading. Still, a rather quick and decent play.

Maarten

Quote from: Forge on  02 January 2012, 05:13:54

welcome  :)

i haven't seen you around any of the forums lately (except that most recent post at AMC). i figured you'd abandoned these sites for real life (or a woman, in which case, shame on you  ;))

Very true.
I have a bussy real life indeed (work/band...stuff like that), but I didn't abandoned the forums for good... actually, I still visit them a few times a week, I just don't post that much.
I've no idea why but I feel like posting again... :D

@ Mikko: thanks, that did help.  8)
Boo!

Puritan

Hey, Maarten.
Welcome aboard  8)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Maarten

Quote from: Puritan on  02 January 2012, 22:23:22
Hey, Maarten.
Welcome aboard  8)

Thanks.

Nice to get such a warm welcome, even when going off topic.  ;D :o :D
Boo!

Puritan

I'll make it up to you again:

I've played Forge's Duke 3_16 and 23_4 tonight.
Just love the way his mapping skills are increasing along the way. :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

There was nowhere to go but up from 3:16  :P   (I hope you're putting the fixed versions on your site and not the ones from DN-R)

playing Red5.
F*ck I love this map!

Forge

Roch4

This is the gameshow map. I like how this map changes his usual format from find key & unlock door to the key card search, also how some of the areas aren't just obvious key locked doors on the street level. Actually requires a little exploring.

Merlijn

Roch 4 was the first Roch map I've ever played. Needless to say, I was amazed by it. It's still one of the best of the series, thanks to the gameshow element and that great looking castle.

I've played the first 2 roch maps. It's bizarre to see how fast Pascal was developping his skills back then. Roch 2 still looks good by todays standards and has a great layout IMO. I also prefer Roch 2 over Roch 3 for some reason..