Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  10 January 2014, 22:12:51
Just finished LA Duke 2002 by George K.

A stunning map design wise it is.
With a few adjustments to the story / gameplay and the weapons/ammo ratio it could easily been a map with a top rating.
The author pulled off this map at the time Red 3 was born and Pascal released Roch 6.
Just saying....

Edit: I have this funny feeling when looking at this map and then LA Duke 2002  ???
Anybody else...??
wouldn't surprise me if they were the same person.
read the templates side by side as well. very similar wording and grammar.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Yeah, I opened both templates after playing through both maps.
Look at the ending sector, the street with the destructed building at the corner. Very similar.
So is the hotel foyer.

Maybe this is the same author as you suggested.
And only did a major overhaul on his first released map Hotel LA Duke?

As for know I can only have these maps uploaded as they are but I still got this funny feeling though  :-\
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

looking at the "evidence" i would lean more towards same person, not rip off
without conclusive proof you might as well let it sit the way it is

Micky C

LordG... George K... Lord George?

Seems plausible they're the same person to me.
Wall whore.

Merlijn

I played the LA Duke 2002 map, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's an updated version of an older map, because it certainly looks like that's the case.

What I mean is that the design feels very inconsistent: some parts looked great while others looked less refined and pretty weak overall. Those might be the older areas. Good examples would be the arcade room or the toilets, design-wise those are not nearly as good as the foyer or the swimming pool.

This also reduced my enjoyment of the level, if the entire map was refined it would be a lot better.

methy

I played for the first time Castle Of The Damned by Andras Piroska. Well, not sure if it was REALLY the first time because some rooms really seemed vaguely familiar but I don't think I've played it since 1997 or 1998 in any case.

and the map is simply MINDBLOWINGLY GREAT, everything about it is just GREAT : the theme, the layout, the detailing (best trees ever made in Duke), the effects, gameplay, the puzzles, the secrets.... How is this map NOT a classic when Piroska's other map Warzone is, that I really do not know. Not to mention cadamned is ten times better than Warzone.

The only thing that's funny about the map and which shows it was indeed made in 1997 is that it's very generous with health, because it was probably designed for people playing the game keyboard only which makes harder. Another thing which shows it was designed with keyboard only in mind is that there is one 'secret' where you can get 2 atomic health and tons of chaingun ammo, and it's not a secret in the sense it's hard to find it, it's obvious in sight, but what's supposed to be hard it to REACH it. Well, that came to my mind, it would be hard to reach when playing keyboard only beacuse it takes to perform an almost pixel precise strafejump, but with keyboard+mouse it's really easy to do it. It's probably one of these differences in design which gives a difference between older maps and newer ones.

Anyway, you should play this incredibly underrated and overlooked map (never uploaded on either DNR, MSDN, or here) and tell what you think. See reply#9 in this thread for screenshot and download link : http://www.scent-88.com/forum/index.php/topic,224.0.html

as for me I will upload the map on Megaton.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

methy

City3m by Dennis Kupper from '98. An alright small city map.
Texture choices are kinda weird but the map is alright. Shading isn't bad, gameplay is good, some good effects, and a cool boss battle at the end.

It's good but imo not good enough to upload on Megaton.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

methy

Dark City 2 by Jeff Cleveland from September 1996. In the txt the mapper says he used this map as part of an application to 3DRealms :P I guess the lack of originality didn't get him hired... But this being said, it's a really good map especially for its time. Tons of cool stuff, effects, shading and detailing, but just... you know, very unoriginal. Just see by yourself, and tell me if you can beat the map, I couldn't find the blue key and I felt like I had been everywhere.

methy

YS1 by french mapper Laurent Lescop from July '97.

YS1 is a rather short (7mins) but well designed and rather original map from summer '96.
For the time this map was released in, the theme is very original. The map feels and looks exactly like it's supposed to. Shading is excellent, layout and achitecture are pretty good.
Sadly, it's a bit short, and most textures are misaligned. If the mapper had learnt to align textures, the map would have been much better.

Still recommended if you want a short ride in early duke3D mapping originality.

Screenshots : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=226225542

A google search taught me that the guy is an architect from the town of Nantes... Exactly like Pascal Rouaud!. I'll try to contact him.

Forge

I just tried my maps with the megaton edition and they all seem to crash the game. Either right off or somewhere in the middle.

they have no corruptions, but they do make use of some odd sector construction and are pretty heavy on the spritework.
i'm thinking there's a difference between the eduke32 port and the JonoF port when it comes to certain allowed sector techniques and the number of sprites allowed to be viewable

methy

To Forge or to anybody who keeps a huge collection of maps on their hardrive : i'm looking for 3 deathmatch maps (they were all 3 DM only) that I used to play a lot a few years ago.

One is called 0Ruin0, the other is called "hexi" or "hexisomething" (i think it was hexi and a number) and the last one in Entrepot. Any idea?

James

there's a huge archive of duke maps at the duke4 (over 5000 maps!) here - I just found 0ruin0 and 2 maps with hexi in them so I'll upload them for you here as well.

I was linking to the zip archive of over 5000 maps, not Dukeworld.

Forge

i fixed your link James

here's entrepot. it wasn't in the duke4 archive

i don't know if there's a difference between them. maybe one is an updated version - i didn't pop it open to look

methy

Quote from: James on  10 February 2014, 16:12:59
there's a huge archive of duke maps at the duke4 (over 5000 maps!) here - I just found 0ruin0 and 2 maps with hexi in them so I'll upload them for you here as well.

HOLY SHIT HEXHOUSE ! You know in the other thread about old maps on this board I talked about a map with a house made for giants I couldn't remember the name of? WELL THAT'S IT! HEXHOUSE! What a coincidence, that's amazing :D

And Hexhouse, Ruin and Entrepot (2) are exactly the maps I was looking for, thanks a lot guys :) I'm going to upload all 3 on Megaton, they're good DM maps. Hexi is a bit wacky but it's still fun.

Micky C

I'm about halfway through Clear the Coast on Steam Workshop, and... am I the only one who doesn't find the map all that interesting? From a design standpoint it's quite brilliant, but so far the firefights feel quite dull and moderately repetitive.

Here on CGS the map rates at a 96, and both the release and review were about 6 years ago so idk has gameplay just advanced since then? I can see how it'd be a good coop map with its open areas and abundant enemies but as far as singleplayer gunplay goes it's quite generic. Maybe it gets better later on? Perhaps I missed one of the higher-tier weapons near the start of the map?

??  ???
Wall whore.