News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

methy

Doesn't really count as 'a map I've played' but today I happened to be bycicling next to where MRCK's http://dukerepository.com/maps/Tours_-_Rives_Du_Cher takes place (I only live a few kilometers up north of where that is located).

Some people didn't look too human but overall i'd say the alien menace has been whiped off.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

lol
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Europe by Daniel Ferrer Gallegos 

An urban styled map that mixes modern glass and steel with old stone and mortar. The layout is semi-linear and consists of short legs to retrieve a key than a short back track to where the lock is. Indoor sections are mainly narrow hallways and medium sized rooms while outdoor locations are large open spaces. The level was either built over a period of time or the mapper had spurts of inspiration during certain phases of construction. Some areas have a decent atmosphere with trimming, spritework, strong shading, and a bit of architectural construction. Other locations just look like flat boxes within flat boxes presenting a rather dull and unimaginative environment.
Game play consists of clearing location after location after location of huge swarms of enemies. Some may find this entertaining, but at some point it can become tedious and more of a chore if you're not into this kind of map. Coupling this with huge amounts of supplies, ammunition, and weaponry results in the challenge not really existing after the first couple of sections.

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 6/10
Sprite Work/Detailing: 6/10
Ambiance: 6/10
Architecture: 14/20
Layout: 18/20
Gameplay/Design: 24/30
Overall: 74/100

Dukebot

Quote from: Forge on  18 March 2014, 15:11:35
Europe by Daniel Ferrer Gallegos 

An urban styled map that mixes modern glass and steel with old stone and mortar. The layout is semi-linear and consists of short legs to retrieve a key than a short back track to where the lock is. Indoor sections are mainly narrow hallways and medium sized rooms while outdoor locations are large open spaces. The level was either built over a period of time or the mapper had spurts of inspiration during certain phases of construction. Some areas have a decent atmosphere with trimming, spritework, strong shading, and a bit of architectural construction. Other locations just look like flat boxes within flat boxes presenting a rather dull and unimaginative environment.
Game play consists of clearing location after location after location of huge swarms of enemies. Some may find this entertaining, but at some point it can become tedious and more of a chore if you're not into this kind of map. Coupling this with huge amounts of supplies, ammunition, and weaponry results in the challenge not really existing after the first couple of sections.

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 6/10
Sprite Work/Detailing: 6/10
Ambiance: 6/10
Architecture: 14/20
Layout: 18/20
Gameplay/Design: 24/30
Overall: 74/100

Thanks for playing my map and being critic. Right now I am working on a new map, this one will be much better than this.

Forge

looking forward to seeing what you come up with

ck3D

Quote from: methy on  16 March 2014, 18:32:18
Doesn't really count as 'a map I've played' but today I happened to be bycicling next to where MRCK's http://dukerepository.com/maps/Tours_-_Rives_Du_Cher takes place (I only live a few kilometers up north of where that is located).

Some people didn't look too human but overall i'd say the alien menace has been whiped off.

that is awesome - did you recognize the exact location / buildings ? the map is old as heck and really underdetailed, in addition to mostly taking place indoors, and the actual, real world place has changed an awful lot in the past 10 years, therefore it would be amazing if you did.

now that you are bringing this map and location to my attention again it really makes me want to rebuild an updated version of that map from scratch with my modern skills. they even built a bridge there, and other interesting structures that would be amazing to implement in a map in the meantime

methy

I didn't recognize it precisely sadly but I saw the bridge you're talking about, thought it looked great indeed and even wondered how one would go about building in duke and took a couple of photos of it :p
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Merlijn

I see "The big city" by my brother has been uploaded, so I played it for old times sake.
To be honest I was surprised to see it getting such a high score, it's one of Maartens older levels and it certainly isn't as polished as his later maps. But I enjoyed playing it, the layout of the city is actually pretty interesting and some locations were already nicely designed (while some others still looked sloppy and unfinished). Gameplay is pretty well balanced as well.

Fun fact: the map was supposed to have a sequel, which would have taken place in a large indoor swimming pool. But Maarten abandoned that map halfway through.. a shame, since it had some potential.

Puritan

Could Maarten by any chance still have that unfinished map sitting on his HD?
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Forge

i didn't think the score was too high, but i'm not perfect.

could be that i've been playing alot of mediocre maps lately so maybe seeing something that was good made it look that much better.

checking some of the other maps rated at the same score, i think it's about right though

Merlijn

^
I'm not saying you're wrong by scoring it 93 points, in fact the level was a lot better then I remembered it to be. Not too far behind Toxicity actually, it even does some things better then Toxicity (for one it doesn't get cramped anywhere). I just found it curious, especially since it has a score below 80 on MSDN.

@ Puritan: I think he still has it somewhere, I'll ask him when I see him.

Forge

below 80?
Mikko mad at Maarten for some reason?

DN-R has it at 91. That's a reasonable score.

We should take that pool map and make a CGS CBP out of it. Cbp's seem to be popular these days now that everyone's grown up, has jobs, girl friends, and other more "adult" hobbies.

MSandt

It's not a bad map but it's quite clearly a rookie map. No chance of it being a Hot Map.

If you played the map after his more recent maps, you could have been biased by expectations. Back in the day, however, it seemed like a sloppy Roch copy.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

i can see how it would be easy to slam the map if you tried to hold it up next to Roch maps.

I have the liberty of a larger variety of maps so it's easier to go into a level without any predispositions against certain environmental styles

Merlijn

I guess standards change over time. Back then, Roch was raising the bar on how a city level could look like. Compared to a map like Roch 2, this one falls short. But now we have a lot of 3DR-styled levels again, and I can see how 'The big city' would look refreshing among those. There's some nice variety in the buildings, I especially like that circular office building.

Seriously, the map is a lot better then I remembered.  :)