Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  03 June 2014, 02:23:27
Yeah why didn't Loke make a thread about it?
well a release thread is pretty much just a courtesy anymore.
the lack of feedback over the last few years and some of the personality conflicts on the forums are reason enough not to bother with a community announcement.
@megaton the minimal feedback is still a factor, but the author can track how many actual people are subscribed to it to determine if it's being enjoyed, and the comment board can be controlled as well
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

But it serves to raise awareness.
Wall whore.

methy

I think Megaton is really good and I thank it a lot for how it brought back popularity to the game and usermaps, also its online possibilities and the 'Pal 2 switches for COOP' it's added really is convenient to make coop maps; but there are 2 glitches which piss me off and which make me NOT use it : whenever I'm hit the screen goes red for much longer than it should, like more than 1 second; and the game freezes each time I open the usermap menu so if I want to play a usermap I have to unzip it, put it in the root folder, and launch the game with the command line. Kinda moots the point of the whole workshop conveniency thing.
It's sad that the devs are too busy to update the game.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  04 June 2014, 07:21:05
But it serves to raise awareness.
how do you figure?

Apprehension Arizona:
244 subscribers
you don't get near that many downloads in a forum in such a short expanse of time. Parkade (the most downloaded map on this site only has 311 hits, and it's been bunged for 2 1/2 years)
edited just for reference since i was using this map as a comparison: Nitroglycerin - 75 downloads

Apprehension Arizona: 610 unique visitors
compared to-
Nitroglycerin (@Duke4): 613 views

Comments:
Apprehension Arizona: 6 (by 4 people)
Nitroglycerin (@Duke4): 6 (by 5 people)

edit: and no offense to any parties involved; Nitroglycerin is a superior map, but received very minimal attention and downloads.

methy

Apprehension Arizona also has 12downloads on moddb so far.
For information, his previous map has 372 downloads despite not even having gameplay. (in comparaison, Galbadia and Sin Center have between 150 and 200 downloads despite having been on there for a longer time). I also believe the download counters on moddb are reliable unlike DN-R's which I suspect to be full of bots. The only thing that's weird is that it always say "1 download today" even if there has been no download during the day; maybe because it wouldn't entice people to download if it always said 0.
Metropolitan Mayhem has 1600 downloads which is what we can expect in a few years for Duke Hard, a similar eduke32-only episode.

I don't know why more people don't upload their maps on moddb, it's not a bad source. Just make sure to add your maps in "add-on" rather than "mods" which is what most people are doing and is what makes most sense.
Then again someone has been doing that lately, uploading all the most famous duke3D maps on moddb. Dunno who he is.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Micky C

IMO it's just that taking the time to set up a thread doesn't take that long, and it can't hurt to get any extra views. It should be pretty quick if you're just copy/pasting a description from Megaton and re-uploading the photos.
Wall whore.

methy

What if he doesn't care about our comments or views or if WE play the map? Can't blame him for that.

Forge

Quote from: methy on  05 June 2014, 16:13:13
What if he doesn't care about our comments or views or if WE play the map? Can't blame him for that.
pretty much this.
sure it takes very little effort to set up a thread to announce a release, but why bother when only four or five people leave comments.

several people are subscribed to multiple parts of the community, word will get around eventually

Micky C

Slowly chipping through the Imperium in the odd minute or two I'm left with these days. Great-looking, fun, atmospheric episode with good gameplay and level design. Although pretty damn hard at times. I won't deny using dnkroz here and there.
Wall whore.

Forge

i suppose i'm partially to blame for that. though the template link is broken so you can't read up on the episode; they foolishly recruited me as one of the beta-testers.

This is one of those projects where finding the secrets gives a little edge without taking things too far out of balance. If the player doesn't find them it can get pretty hard in some places (but not completely unfair).

Though Deeperthought will disagree until his lower jaw falls off, I highly recommend bypassing the skycar early in the episode and just walk the level. The player skips much needed supplies just to get to the other side of the map faster.

Merlijn

I'm glad people are still checking out that mod, in retrospect some fights are indeed too hard. But it's still good fun and something we're all proud off. :)

Played Apprehension Arizona and I pretty much agree with Mikko's review. Great design (especially indoor, some really nice work in there) but gameplay gets a bit of a drag at some points. The fact that the red enemies are twice as strong doesn't help. Cool usage of the cycloid emperor though, and I still really enjoyed it.

methy

Quote from: Merlijn on  17 June 2014, 23:10:52
The fact that the red enemies are twice as strong doesn't help.

This has stopped being the case months ago, you should update your version of eduke32.
Basically, in the original 1.3 duke3D (but not in 1.4 and 1.5), red liztroops have more HP. So, because of that ONE enemy in ONE old version of duke3D nobody uses anymore since 1997 and only for ONE palette, they had decided to make all custom palettes of all enemies tougher. I convinced them this was a terrible idea though and completely fucks up balance of every map using custom palettes.

However, since Apprehension Arizona has a story that talks about 'tougher ADN modified' aliens regarding those red enemies; we are probably indeed supposed to play it that way.

Merlijn

Ah ok, I don't keep up with all these updates on a regular basis. And as you say the story in this level actually mentioned the enhanced strength, so I figured it was supposed to be played like this.

Anyway I'm glad they changed it back, it's not a bad feature but it kills a lot of older user maps.

Micky C

Quote from: Merlijn on  17 June 2014, 23:10:52
I'm glad people are still checking out that mod, in retrospect some fights are indeed too hard. But it's still good fun and something we're all proud off. :)

You should be, it's one of the best modern episodes out there. Plus I still occasionally listen to the music sometimes. Although in addition to some hard fights, it can also be a bit difficult to navigate at times.

For example, there's this area in the tower in the third map where you're moving around with teleporters, and one teleporter appears to be surrounded by forcefields on all sides. Except one of the forcefields is non-blocking and allows you to move through it, without any indication of this. Shouldn't the beta testers have suggested that the masked wall be removed or something? (Looking at you Forge :P )

And Methy you're not 100% right. Apparently in the 1.3 version, ANY enemy that had a non-zero pal would have double strength. IIRC the pal 10 liztroop still has extra health. The 1.3 version behavior would work much better as an optional menu toggle.
Wall whore.

Forge

I made all kinds of suggestions, half of which were ignored. I know a whole bunch of exploits and other flaws that never got fixed.

I think at the beta-test stage merlijn and deeperthought were the only two members of the original authors still involved with the project.
iirc i dealt with dan for the first week or so. later merlijn became available and i was actually listened to, but by that time i had already submitted a large portion of my findings.

dan got mad at me for the stupidest thing. merlijn was the only one doing any map fixes. after a few of my reports dan wanted me to start fixing stuff. I agreed, but i said it would be time consuming and i'd either have to stop beta-testing or fall seriously behind schedule.
He couldn't understand why i was unable to do both and keep up with the other beta-testers, so he kept me on the testing team.