Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

my misunderstanding about the downloads. i re-read the last few posts and noticed you were more concerned about tracking the count.
i assumed you were trying to make a run for that mod of the year thing or whatever it is at ModDB like DNF 2013 did.

i also compounded the problem at one point with the update issues.

There was a map awhile back that was posted, but the author said they'd probably update it someday. (i don't remember by who off the top of my head). I waited for what i thought was a fair amount of time with not a peep from the map maker so I went ahead and did a review. Of course the author came back later and update animosity ensued.

i won't touch anything unless it has a final version release label on it somewhere. kinda why the beach cbp hasn't been done yet.

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

I didn't even think about the mod of the year thing. Even if I thought of it, I wouldn't think we'd ever have a chance though.

It's nice to be able to keep track of download counts, but it's not the main issue here.

The updated version of the episode should be out really soon (I keep saying that; but now it's just a matter of Daedolon finding time to fix one thing in his map and put the whole thing together).
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  07 July 2014, 19:37:40
There was a map awhile back that was posted, but the author said they'd probably update it someday. 

Could it be reflex17 latest 'baby'? ( Delta Station )
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

no.
i don't remember and i'm too lazy right now to dig through the threads.

it's a map that got uploaded and the author got pissed that it wouldn't get updated. the complaint was that they specifically mentioned that it was going to be updated in the release op.

problem was they never said when and i got tired of waiting and went ahead and reviewed it after it looked like it as going to be left as is.
my mistake and too much drama.
one of the reason's i'm not in too much of a hurry to do new releases anymore

mappers like the review and exposure, but you get those select few that think they need to update the map a dozen times.

imo, zero tolerance is a bit too strict - things do slip through the cracks and game breaking bugs get found after a release. for example-look at how much the duke hard episode was tested, and still things were found after it hit the shelves. Maybe a case by case or one-time only update policy.

methy

Turok by Duke64, a new map that appeared on Megaton's workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283583776
Mirror download link for those who don't have Megaton (obviously you don't need the .json file in the zip) : http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/99597090/file.html

It looks like those couple of new active Megaton mappers are starting to get really good. Tower Of Babel ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267013077 ) was already a step in the right direction; even though it was literaly 30secs long in SP and you could just run around spamming dev rockets; but this Turok map is where it really gets interesting.

My comment on the map :
Really cool map with a somewhat original theme and adventurous feel.
Just enough detailing to make it look good with good strong shading.
Rather long too as it took me 23mins.
Layout and progression is like in a modern FPS (reminds me of Hard Reset and the new Shadow Warrior) : reach new area, kill a horde of enemies, press a couple of buttons to go to the next area and repeat. Some of the 'secret places' feel like those modern FPS, too.

My only real grip is that I played on CGS and I say there is a too much ammo and health everywhere. I was constantly full on shotgun ammo even though it's the weapon I used the most. Also, the map is so long, it would have been nice to get more different weapons along the way.
Also, the sprite on the "3D sprite structures" (like tables, bridge etc) aren't 1-sided, which makes them clip in 8bit. I know that's not needed for 32bit, but still it would only take a few seconds to do it and it wouldn't be a problem in 8bit either; not to mention that everything else looks just fine in 8bit.

Good map nonetheless, hopefully we'll see level 2 and 3 of this series!
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

add a score and some screenshots  8)

Micky C

Those screenshots actually look pretty good. And you can really tell that eduke32's lighting system makes it look 10 times better and more atmospheric than if it used the old polymost shading system.
Wall whore.

methy

Quote from: Forge on  10 July 2014, 15:52:07
add a score and some screenshots  8)

Nah sorry, I don't really like the /100 rating system. I really wouldn't be able to rate something the way you do, and I don't believe it's a good way to rate a map either (for instance because depending on the map, one aspect or another of the rating system might be more important, while they're all always given the same importance for each map with such a system; and other reasons too)
I'm more a /5 or /10 guy so that wouldn't fit on the site.

Forge

the way i rate things isn't a standard. only the scale.

just think of it as a decimal scale (e.g 9.3 out of 10)
that translates to a 93/100

Forge

played valves by Billy Boy.
That map is just insane. It keeps going and going and going.
The crazy interconnecting passages and the maze like layout; I didn't even know where i was most of the time.
I have no idea how i finally got through it. I just kept walking and hitting switches. Half of them I had no clue what they did.

Seemed like I left a bunch of doors locked and yet was able to finish the level. The only time I think "cheated" was when i got to the console with the three colored locks. There was a door to get to them, but i never figured out how to unlock it, so i walked to where the railing was knocked down and jumped around and through the police-taped off gap. I really don't know if that was cheating or not since i could see no other reason to have knocked down railing and a gap in the barricade in that one and only spot unless it was to jump through.

edit: went back and looked around. I skipped a section with the red lava that exits out of tube #2. Don't know which locked door(s) the valve in that area opened; i'd left too many to go back through and try to find it.
There was also an 8 button puzzle that i'd skipped and never got back to since I didn't find a clue for it's solution and I didn't feel like spending a bunch of time methodically picking it.

Puritan

^By far the worst map from Billy Boy in my opinion.
Been a while since I played it but I clearly remember that I was secounds away from throwing the computer out of the window...  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

i had tried to play it a long time ago, but like you i got frustrated. I quit and never finished it. I was kinda dreading when it would finally come up in the rotation for review, but i managed to tough it out all the way through this time.

the worst part of that map is all the damn holes everywhere that drop down into water tunnels. accidentally fall into one and you practically have to re-navigate half the map to get back to where you fell in so you can pick up where you left off.

in most of Billy Boy's maps the puzzles are labeled and there are clues everywhere; this one felt like it was just a random wander about & a what the fuck am i doing?

it was also very easy to get yourself trapped/locked in rooms, corridors, and underwater passages with no way out.

methy

I feel like Billy Boy could have been a fucking great mapper, when playing his map one can sense he has a great vision, but what he lacked is someone to tell him "this shit is not alright bro" when he went too far. Someone to prevent him to ruin his own greatness.

MSandt

Quote from: methy on  10 August 2014, 23:23:12
I feel like Billy Boy could have been a fucking great mapper,

Billy Boy is a fucking great mapper.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

methy

I could never like his maps very much. There is always that amazing sense of scale and genious layouts, except it's all ruined by needlesly complicated puzzles and other bullshit. To me, they're simply not fun.

Then again I haven't played them in maybe 5 or 8 years.